ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Camber shims and Toe

After installing camber shim washers on the front of my Z4 M coupe. I measured my camber at about -2.9 degrees (iPhone). Sounds about right. I expected since I added washers that I would have more toe-in. When I measure with my new Longacres toe plates I get about .5 degrees toe-out. Does that sound right? For some reason I thought by installing the washers I would make more toe-in.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Yes, sounds right. More negative camber means more toe-out.

Shoot for zero toe with that much negative camber, unless you want to chew up the tires. That is tell out is nice for use on the track, but I wouldn't run it on the street.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Sounds right. WHS
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryb97 View Post
After installing camber shim washers on the front of my Z4 M coupe. I measured my camber at about -2.9 degrees (iPhone). Sounds about right. I expected since I added washers that I would have more toe-in. When I measure with my new Longacres toe plates I get about .5 degrees toe-out. Does that sound right? For some reason I thought by installing the washers I would make more toe-in.
As the lower control arm (LCA) attaches to the bottom of the kingpin, adding the washers between the strut and the kingpin effectively causes the top of the kingpin to move inwards (intuitively you would think the bottom of the kingpin would move outwards, but this is not the case). Thus the toe-out will increase when the washers are added as the track rod end attaches to the kingpin above the LCA ball joint.
Appreciate 0