ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Techtronics.de Automatic Top Convenience Modules Review

I've purchased and installed three automatic top modules from techtronics.de. They allow you to do all the things you wish that BMW had made stock. Here's my video review:

I ordered these March 22nd, and received them April 14th, so the shipping is not fast. They did not come with any installation bits, or instructions as were listed on the website. I did get a pretty quick response with the three PDF installation instruction files I've listed below. The "extra" bits I got for less than $20 from RadioShack. The modules are well made, and seem sturdy. Heavy duty double sided tape worked well for mounting them. I'm happy with the result.

Installation took about 2 hours combined. It was on par with a custom alarm install; harder than a simple radio swap, easier than a "carputer". The installation instructions, linked below, were dead on, and were very easy follow. I did a lot of "simple fact checking" and logical reassurance through the WDS. These modules use basic relays and the K-Bus interface to "trick" the convertible top controller into doing things differently.

The 25km/h module is clever, but also a bit of "hey you should understand how this thing works, and what its doing". The installation instructions tell you to simply replace pin 14 of the instrument cluster connector. You're really allowing the 25km/h module to filter the K-Bus messages coming out of the cluster. One assumes then that its only blocking certain information, and not blocking important ones. I checked the WDS schematics, and it appears that the airbag and safety system messages do not come from the instrument cluster. So the only negative effect this might have is that the instrument cluster is not getting all of the intended messages. Just an FYI.

At first, I thought there were some problems with the modules, but then I discovered a few understandable "rules" they follow.

1) The remote module requires the that the car be unlocked immediately before the three presses. The module won't work if the car has been unlocked for a while.

2) The OneTip module requires that you press the top up/down button for at least a second and a half. If something fails, you'll not be able to use the top up/down button for the next 10 seconds; think trunk space selectors in "up" position, or travel speed above limit.

3) The 25km/h module works only after starting from a complete stop. Once you go over 25km/h you must come to a complete stop again. If you use the "OneTip" and then go over 25km/h you'll notice the top stops. You must come to a complete stop to make the top move again.

4) You can change the 25km/h limit to 50km/h using the radio buttons, noted at the bottom of the installation instructions.

Installation Instructions:

Key Fob Remote (FB) Module

OneTip Module

25 km/h Module
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
lo-tek
I'm a PC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-Sport Coupe

Nice! Thanks for sharing..