ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Help with removing coolant expansion tank

I have done everything from springs and shocks to replacement differentials, but cannot seem to figure out where the expansion tank is hanging up on removal.

Using the replacement as a guide, I disconnected all of the hoses. There is something keeping the tank from rising up the half inch needed to clear a "stake" looking keeper.

Does anyone remember anything unique to removing the expansion tank? I have a Haynes E46/Z4 manual, so that is contributing to the confusion because it only shows pics of the E46.

Thanks In Advance.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

i'd assume it should be similar to this so hopefully it's helpful

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...n+tank+removal
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Nick. I did the steps listed there. Perhaps I just have to hit it harder like the post mentions.

Any other ideas?

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I changed a tank on an E46 with over 120k and it was a real pain to get out. I ended up using a 10" extension with a 19mm socket on the end. I pressed this against the bottom of the old tank and "tapped" it with a 3 lb. dead blow hammer. Yes, I removed the pin that is supposed to hold the tank in place and tried pulling from the top and pushing from the bottom but nothing would work. Thank God for BFH's.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
SSG S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN Z4

I will be changing it out this weekend as well.
Were you able to remove it nlink720?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes. You have to hit the tank from the bottom fairly hard. I used a 9" ratchet extension placed on the left side of the base (from underneath), hit it, then placed it on the right side of the base, and hit it again, and it came loose. There was an identical problem on E46fanatics.com where the guy circled the areas, and mentioned that he spent 25 minutes banging. The thing is that given the plastic nature of the components, it seems weird to put any force on anything, let alone whack at it. I'm not talking about full force hammering, but enough to knock the reservoir loose from the base.

Be careful when you reattach the reservoir to the base because you have to redo the snug fitment, but you want to be very careful not to damage the mounting bracket that lays flush with the radiator - it is very flimsy... so just be careful on re-installation.

Other than that, the job is very easy. Like a 2. I did a complete coolant flush, drained the engine block, replaced the drain plugs, inspected hoses, bled the system, and drove 100 miles with zero leaks whereas it was "weeping" before at the rate of about 2 ounces per day.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck.

Appreciate 0