ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #67
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Thanks for the update and link to the review. Poly transmission mounts only really is a bad idea. Sounded like a tractor to me!

It's interesting that stiffening both engine and transmission mounts tames the NVH a bit. Good info!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #68
tribe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 MZ4 Roadster

Anyone know the difference between the E46 M3 transmission mount vs. the Z4M transmission mount? Looking at Realoem & Tischer, they are different part numbers:
Z4M: 22316799331
E46 M3: 22322282340

I saw a thread (can't find it now) where a 1M owner compared different trans mounts, including OE and aftermarket. The end conclusion was the E46 M3 trans mount was a good upgrade over the stock mount and was very good for NVH.

*Update*
Just looked up the part# for the 1M trans mount: 22316799331 - same as the Z4M. Interesting.. !

Last edited by tribe; 05-11-2013 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: New info
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #69
tribe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 MZ4 Roadster

Here is the 1M post comparing the tranny mounts:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656753
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #70
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Added the Vibratechnics engine mounts (street) and the Rogue tranny mounts last week. No new noises or vibrations that I can discern and the shifting feels WAY better. Things overall feel a little bit tighter but I did still get the 1-2 grind once at the auto-x over the weekend so that hasn't been completely resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #71
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe View Post
Anyone know the difference between the E46 M3 transmission mount vs. the Z4M transmission mount? Looking at Realoem & Tischer, they are different part numbers:
Z4M: 22316799331
E46 M3: 22322282340

I saw a thread (can't find it now) where a 1M owner compared different trans mounts, including OE and aftermarket. The end conclusion was the E46 M3 trans mount was a good upgrade over the stock mount and was very good for NVH.

*Update*
Just looked up the part# for the 1M trans mount: 22316799331 - same as the Z4M. Interesting.. !
Interesting indeed! I did not know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe View Post
Here is the 1M post comparing the tranny mounts:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656753
Good resource, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Added the Vibratechnics engine mounts (street) and the Rogue tranny mounts last week. No new noises or vibrations that I can discern and the shifting feels WAY better. Things overall feel a little bit tighter but I did still get the 1-2 grind once at the auto-x over the weekend so that hasn't been completely resolved.
Thank you for the update! Any issues finding 2nd from 3rd--did denial of 2nd from 3rd improve?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #72
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Thanks for posting this up! After following this thread, I had R&E transmission mounts installed. My Z shifts much better! Time to get the CVD mod done!
      05-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #73
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep

3-2 seems easier but I haven't had it on the track yet to really know for certain. I used to get denied or grinding pretty consistently once the tranny got hot on the track but on the street it's hard to say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Any issues finding 2nd from 3rd--did denial of 2nd from 3rd improve?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #74
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Bumping this sticky from the dead.

Installed RE trans mounts with enforcer cups this morning (on the ground, how unpleasant...). Shifting on a short test drive feels better, some noticeable increase in noise and vibration under light loads in the 3,000-3,500rpm range. Overall I'm happy with it. I'll see if it stays positive over the next couple weeks when I can drive the car in dry conditions. Call me crazy but it even seems like it helped to slightly reduce driveline sloppiness, like the powertrain isn't wobbling around as much when going on/off throttle.

I probably would have been as happy without the cups on the RE mounts as you can tell just by feeling them that they're significantly more solid than the oem setup. If I end up being unhappy about the cups I guess I can always pull them back out and plunk them in the e30.

I'm probably going to try the VibraTechnics motor mounts in the spring, once I'm done rebuilding the e30 motor, see how I feel about the combination. I see most people are commenting that the VT and RE combo actually has less vibrations than oem and RE combo?
2007 Z4M Coupe (#1026/1815) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #75
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varinn View Post
Bumping this sticky from the dead.

Installed RE trans mounts with enforcer cups this morning (on the ground, how unpleasant...). Shifting on a short test drive feels better, some noticeable increase in noise and vibration under light loads in the 3,000-3,500rpm range. Overall I'm happy with it. I'll see if it stays positive over the next couple weeks when I can drive the car in dry conditions. Call me crazy but it even seems like it helped to slightly reduce driveline sloppiness, like the powertrain isn't wobbling around as much when going on/off throttle.

I probably would have been as happy without the cups on the RE mounts as you can tell just by feeling them that they're significantly more solid than the oem setup. If I end up being unhappy about the cups I guess I can always pull them back out and plunk them in the e30.

I'm probably going to try the VibraTechnics motor mounts in the spring, once I'm done rebuilding the e30 motor, see how I feel about the combination. I see most people are commenting that the VT and RE combo actually has less vibrations than oem and RE combo?
A long time since this thread was bounced.

Seems the issue is one of both engine movement and transmission moving the drivetrain around. Addressing that on both ends seems to stabilize and reduce the overall vibration issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #76
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Installed RE trans mounts with enforcer cups this morning (on the ground, how unpleasant...)...
I feel your pain brother. The upper nut on the passenger side mount, gray hairs were had trying to tighten that sucker down...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #77
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I think I overtightened the nuts.... I spoke with RE and they told me that it does make a difference to have it too tight, they also VERY strongly advised removing the enforcer cups, so I'm just gonna tackle this whole thing again... maybe tonight.

I think I'll try removing the entire bracket from the trans this time by pulling the 4 e-torx bolts out. I'm thinking
1: Assemble everything off the car, tighten the top nuts to spec and oriented to line up with the bottom crossmember.
2: Remove crossmember, install the top bracket onto trans with pre-torqued mounts on it
3: Install crossmember and heat shield.
4: Profit?

Motor mounts still planned for springtime maybe. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:30 PM   #78
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I feel your pain brother. The upper nut on the passenger side mount, gray hairs were had trying to tighten that sucker down...
Tell me about it! I recently installed the UUC black mounts and it required some serious hand/finger contortion to get it done. I love the more solid shifting but I'm not overly happy about the increased NVH. They are staying in regardless!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #79
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Took a couple days to get to it, apparently part of my vibration came from my motor mount bolts on the passenger side coming loose. Best guess is it happened during trans mount install, cause it was fine before, but vibrated on the post install test drive.

So that was a fiasco, I learned of the motor mounts when my vanos pressure line blew up the day I made my last post. It's all fixed up now but it still had vibration issues.

I re&re'd the mounts again this morning, for the record removing the entire bracket is the way to go. I was able to pull the top bracket, mounts, and crossmember as one piece. I removed the cups and assembled it all on the bench then took the lower crossmember back off, installed the upper bracket with mounts attached. Following that you just pop the crossmember over the lower studs and bolt it up.

TLDR: rogue tranny mounts are good on their own, but do not use the enforcers. The extra noise and vibration is just not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 12:48 AM   #80
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varinn
Took a couple days to get to it, apparently part of my vibration came from my motor mount bolts on the passenger side coming loose. Best guess is it happened during trans mount install, cause it was fine before, but vibrated on the post install test drive.

So that was a fiasco, I learned of the motor mounts when my vanos pressure line blew up the day I made my last post. It's all fixed up now but it still had vibration issues.

I re&re'd the mounts again this morning, for the record removing the entire bracket is the way to go. I was able to pull the top bracket, mounts, and crossmember as one piece. I removed the cups and assembled it all on the bench then took the lower crossmember back off, installed the upper bracket with mounts attached. Following that you just pop the crossmember over the lower studs and bolt it up.

TLDR: rogue tranny mounts are good on their own, but do not use the enforcers. The extra noise and vibration is just not worth it.
Thx!

Good info and updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #81
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
I think I overtightened the nuts.... I spoke with RE and they told me that it does make a difference to have it too tight, they also VERY strongly advised removing the enforcer cups, so I'm just gonna tackle this whole thing again... maybe tonight.

I think I'll try removing the entire bracket from the trans this time by pulling the 4 e-torx bolts out. I'm thinking
1: Assemble everything off the car, tighten the top nuts to spec and oriented to line up with the bottom crossmember.
2: Remove crossmember, install the top bracket onto trans with pre-torqued mounts on it
3: Install crossmember and heat shield.
4: Profit?

Motor mounts still planned for springtime maybe. We'll see.
The part in bold, assuming you are missing a "not" or "against"? Any update on your change?
      01-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #82
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
The part in bold, assuming you are missing a "not" or "against"? Any update on your change?
It is correct as written.
The cups should really be used on a dedicated track car only.

They transmit a lot of NVH and do not provide much benefit.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
Vanne1593.00
      01-15-2016, 01:46 AM   #83
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
It is correct as written.
The cups should really be used on a dedicated track car only.

They transmit a lot of NVH and do not provide much benefit.
Yep. I'd really stick with Rogue neoprene only unless it's a race car or track car only. Even then the benefits are marginal vs. improved motor mounts.
Appreciate 1
Vanne1593.00
      01-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #84
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Yep. I'd really stick with Rogue neoprene only unless it's a race car or track car only. Even then the benefits are marginal vs. improved motor mounts.
Yep. I still want the improved motor mounts but our awful Canadian dollar is killing us right now. The cost of everything has risen by 30+% in the last year! Update on the rogue mounts? They're great. I never notice any negatives to having just them installed and see no reason why I would bother to re-install the enforcer cups. Leave them out, they add bucket loads of NVH that just aren't worth it on a street car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #85
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Ant reports on the AKG solid mounts? Track only
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...-e46-aluminum/

Or this Poly set? Track and fast road only
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...yurethane-75d/