ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Z4 Convertible Top Covers (End Covers)

I'm just wondering if anyone has used or seen this product that closes off the left and right sides of the top assembly while in the down position. The picture looks fairly decent, but curious about the fit and appearance.

Thanks...

http://kellybmw.oemdealer.com/z4-con...1421_19077.php

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Bimmerheaven
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0I titanium silver/loa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone has used or seen this product that closes off the left and right sides of the top assembly while in the down position. The picture looks fairly decent, but curious about the fit and appearance.

Thanks...

http://kellybmw.oemdealer.com/z4-con...1421_19077.php
I use them, they fit great and help to reduce dirt accumulation, they also create a completed appearance when the top is down. you need to remember to remove them before you close the top or you will break the fastening tabs.

Keith - 05 3.0 silver/black/sports package
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Keith, Thank you for the info... I really was hoping that would be the case with the fit to help reduce the dirt accumulation. After a couple of days with the top down I end up pulling out the mini-vac to clean up the dust and dirt that I think a product such as these covers should help cut down. And since the price appears to be about $144 for the pair at most vendor sites I may as well get them ordered.

Thanks Again...

Dave

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
acvr4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0Z4,VR4,Vehicross.Touareg

There was a set of used tan ones on ebay that went pretty cheap. I bid for a while - thinking I could paint them black but decided to hold off. They do look good from what I can tell from the sales picture.

Dave post up some pictures when you get yours.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well they arrived and are on the car. I hate to say it but once you see them in place it looks like something is missing when the top is down and they aren't installed. The material and color match up perfectly with my dash and door panels. I thought it was a bit pricey, but I'm happy with how they work.

Andy, I'm not sure buying a different color and painting would provide the same match with your interior.

Pics Below...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Thanks for posting the pics. So you just toss them in the trunk when the top is up?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes, you just remove them before you put the top up and place them in the storage bag that is provided. It could fit behind the seat, barely, but I'd place it in the trunk.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. Knowing my luck I would forget I had installed them and would put the top up and "pop" there goes that $120.

My brother has a similar cover for his top on his S2000. His softtop doesn't fold as neatly as the Z4 so it covers the whole thing, but the idea is the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
acvr4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0Z4,VR4,Vehicross.Touareg

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the picts - yeah on the paint over, that's why I stopped biding on them.
Is there any protection on rubbing from the edge of the covers to the actual cloth top?

Anyone who's had them on for a long time run into rubbing marks on the top?

Just wondering,
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I love the way these look, but I've gotten into the habit of raising the roof whenever I park it, even in my garage. But I can see leaving the roof down once it gets really warm. Does anyone leave the roof down more than up? Is it better one way or the other? Obviously if the roof is damp you want it up to let it dry out, but given a dry, clean roof, is there any harm in leaving it down?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When my brother bought his S2000, his softtop had been down for about 2-3 years. It looks like the original owner left the hardtop on it 100% of the time. Right before he bought it we took the top off just to make sure the softtop was in good shape and didn't have any rips (doubtful with only 23k miles) and it worked great. Had pretty bad creases in it for a couple of days but after sitting in the hot sun for while they worked themselves out.

I can't really speak on the Z4 since I have only had mine for a bit over a week, but it seems leaving it down would stretch the material less and would certainly keep the stress off the stitching, etc.

Just my thoughts. I was mainly looking at the side covers for long drives and if I get a hardtop soon. They would cleanup the look through the rear window.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are a couple of pictures of the cover, to give you an idea of how the tab and edges look that slide under the top and side of the car. When in place the covers seem to fit really snug so I would think the wear to the top would be minimal as long as you are not rough with placing and removing them.

The material around the edges are soft.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

I've used them. I think it finishes off the top when it is down. I also believe that they should have come standard on all Z4 Roadsters. The knobs do have a tendency to be weak and I've had one break. Fit is good and they stay in place when driving at speeds over 100 mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #14
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Great pics, they look better installed than I ever thought they would.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #15
schlumbeb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW ROADSTER 3.0SI

hi guys, I just ordered the side convertible top power from the US (am in Canada) I am afraid I ordered the wrong color, my z4 has beige leather seats and door panels but the front panel (where the radio is) is brown wood like color -- the soft top roof is black-- I ordered the black side convertible top cover, should I have ordered the beige ones since the cover is colour-matched to the interior trim- or is is to looked good anyway since the top roof is black>>> any thoughts__ thanks Bruno
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #16
schlumbeb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW ROADSTER 3.0SI

hi Matty, I just ordered the side convertible top power from the US (am in Canada) I am afraid I ordered the wrong color, my z4 has beige leather seats and door panels but the front panel (where the radio is) is brown wood like color -- the soft top roof is black-- I ordered the black side convertible top cover, should I have ordered the beige ones since the cover is colour-matched to the interior trim- or is is to looked good anyway since the top roof is black>>> any thoughts__ thanks Bruno
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #17
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I would think most owners would purchase them to match the softtop color. Not the interior color.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #18
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

One problem is sotring them. If you are going away for a long weekend they end up staying home.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #19
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlumbeb View Post
hi guys, I just ordered the side convertible top power from the US (am in Canada) I am afraid I ordered the wrong color, my z4 has beige leather seats and door panels but the front panel (where the radio is) is brown wood like color -- the soft top roof is black-- I ordered the black side convertible top cover, should I have ordered the beige ones since the cover is colour-matched to the interior trim- or is is to looked good anyway since the top roof is black>>> any thoughts__ thanks Bruno
Bruno, as you can see in the photos the black end covers with the black top gives the top a complete one piece look, I think you will be glad you ordered the black.

Dave

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #20
nvs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

I'm going to have to get some of these, it really does complete the look.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #21
kurtdaniel
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

i should use them by now..id buy one next week along with a new flowaster...tnx..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 06-29-2009 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
ms. Bemer2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW z4

z4 convertible top side panels

Where can I order these? Is the dealer the only source? I have a 06 z4 with a tan top and these panels would realy "complete the look'. thanks
Appreciate 0