ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
ehokana
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0si; BMW 335i

Help with Suspension Noise

I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose a suspension creak/rattle that I have been experiencing for the last week or so.

I have a rattle-type of noise from the rear driver's side suspension. When I am driving, I can hear it just behind my left shoulder, roughly where the seat bolster would contact the rear firewall. It is only an issue above 25mph, and then only when I am not accelerating (i.e., when the weight of the car is not shifted toward the rear). There does not seem to be any adverse effects on handling.

I have gotten under the car to check, and I have not noticed any glaring issues. All suspension components are tight, bushings are not worn out, and everything appears to be seated properly. The car has new bilstein springs and shocks, so I do not believe the sound to be a spring on its way out. I have also checked the top mount, and made sure everything was torqued up.

I am at a bit of a loss on this one, and any thoughts would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
brendanto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0

Check the bolt at the differential end of the rear lower control arm. I had the nut back off twice and it?s not fun to replace. I didn?t notice any difference in handling when it happened but could hear a rattle.
Appreciate 1
eleniki69.00