ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Is it really necessary to rev to 7900rpm?

So I've had my car for about a month now and I've ran it up to redline several times just because that's what she wants me to do. But I've noticed I can feel a slight dip at about 7500rpm. I found a dyno chart for a stock Z4M and I believe this is exactly what I am feeling...

So the question is, do you really need to rev it all the way to redline if there is a dip in the powerband just before you get to it? In the dyno graph, it appears that you almost reach peak power anyway at about 7500rpm.

I would imagine the tunes that are available for this car might resolve this dip. Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Yes, unless hp is falling, there is no reason to shift, even when HP is falling a lot of the time you should not shift.
      12-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
I would imagine the tunes that are available for this car might resolve this dip. Anyone know?
Check out the "AA tune - success" thread.

Even if you are making less horsepower at the upper end of the rpm band, you will be faster if you run it to redline because of the torque multiplication factor of your gears.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Wow, thanks for the tip, pokey! Those results look awesome! Hard to believe he achieved an increase of 27 hp AT THE REAR WHEELS! Very impressive for a N/A car.

The dip is still there but then it climps even higher after that to redline. I bet his car runs like an animal!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Also by shifting at readline you should be right in the heart of the powerband in the next gear.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Love the AA tune....you really need to stay in for the next gear

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Hehe yup, as has been stated, redline is good for maximum acceleration. Moreso to help you stay in a healthy portion of the power band after upshifting, rather than maximum power. Different cars behave slightly differently due to many varying factors such as road conditions, gearing, differential, tranny perhaps, tires, etc. etc. etc.
The list goes on forever. I guess what feels most comfortable to you during time of operation is what matters most.

My car's still feeling pretty good. I've gotten used to the power now though after two track days; one in the wet.

Can't wait for the headers to go in. That'll be at least another 20rwhp ^_^

Last edited by mfanatic325; 12-10-2010 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

You need to compare the power output of the engine in the current gear vs. the power output it would have in the other available gears. (Power output will change if you shift because the engine will be operating at a different rotational speed in another gear). If the former is higher, and if you have not hit the redline, you stay in gear. If it is lower, you should shift. Of course, this is assuming you want to maximize acceleration and have traction. In certain cases, it might make sense to hold the gear even if you can make more power in another gear because it takes time to shift. Finally, the engine will respond somewhat differently on the road (compared to sitting on a dyno) due to the dynamic loading and intake conditions, so that dyno plot you are looking at is simply a first order guide, and not entirely representative of what the engine will do on the road.
      12-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
You need to compare the power output of the engine in the current gear vs. the power output it would have in the other available gears. (Power output will change if you shift because the engine will be operating at a different rotational speed in another gear). If the former is higher, and if you have not hit the redline, you stay in gear. If it is lower, you should shift. Of course, this is assuming you want to maximize acceleration and have traction. In certain cases, it might make sense to hold the gear even if you can make more power in another gear because it takes time to shift. Finally, the engine will respond somewhat differently on the road (compared to sitting on a dyno) due to the dynamic loading and intake conditions, so that dyno plot you are looking at is simply a first order guide, and not entirely representative of what the engine will do on the road.
Good explanation.

I'm still confident my butt dyno matches up to the dyno graph I posted. I've redlined it several times and I've felt that dip at about 7500rpm each time. Would be nice to flatten that out. Even then though, the car runs great so I can't complain too much.
Appreciate 0