ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #23
Shereef_Osman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC & 89 325is

I'm in, as long as someone can confirm that there is at least the same play as the stock shifter, preferably less!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #24
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I'm in as well as long as price is good
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #25
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Autosolution agreed to group buy. They will not custom make each kit in the group buy. mfanatic325 had first feel of the kit with the specs below. Let's see if we can get more than 3 people for me to negotiate with Autosolution.

installed height approx 13mm lower than stock
reduction ratio approx 15- 17 %
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #26
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Hmm...hopefully the pricing is good. If it's $350 or thereabouts, I'm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shereef_Osman View Post
I'm in, as long as someone can confirm that there is at least the same play as the stock shifter, preferably less!
Shereef, I drove Rob's car with the SSK installed. It feels AWESOME. Like stock, but no more of that crunch into each gear, and each gear is easier to find (precise).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #27
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Hey Rob, I'm ready to purchase. Any update from AutoSolutions?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 01:44 AM   #28
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
I will take it, let me know
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #29
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Still no update?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #30
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

e-mailed AutoSolutions to see what's going on
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #31
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

So the rep (I think owner?) said that he did indeed agree to a GB, but was waiting on RobM for specs. Considering I haven't been able to reach RobM lately, I guess he's been swamped with work/life.
Anyhow, I just told him over e-mail that we would like the same kit that Rob has, and would be interested in $350 SHIPPED price. I told him to only make a batch of 10 kits if he's scared of wasting materials/money/time. I'm sure all 10 kits will be sold, considering this is a nice price for the only kit out there for our cars with a WSR. And albeit I've never personally used any other SSK on a Z4MC, this feels pretty close to perfect imho
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #32
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

The GB is set up here: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441622

As of right now, there are only two spots left to get in on this $350 shipped price. AutoSolutions will not make any more than 5 kits at this time. No payment is needed now, but please only reserve your slot only if you have the money and are 100% sure that you're willing to pay when the time comes!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #33
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Does that price include the carrier arm? And if it does, is the carrier arm the same PN as the factory carrier arm?

THIS is what I have in my car. They don't make it anymore, it's made for E46 330i with 6 speed but the bend and angle is perfect for the E86. So if you don't need to replace the carrier arm, a good alternative may be to find a bearing based SSK for an E46 330i 6 speed (ZHP) for a lot less. There isn't any "throw" reduction per-se, but if you add the ZHP knob on it it'll feel shorter.

I helped Turner set up a GB on 1Addict, but since the 45130 is out of stock and they don't make it anymore makes it a moot point. The 45123 from B&M technically fits but it bends the stick way too far to the driver's side that it sort of comes in contact with the rubber shift boot and makes it harder to get into 2nd. If Turner still has the 45130, or if you find the 45130 ANYWHERE, snatch it up. For $150 it works pretty well despite no real reduction in throw.

Last edited by The HACK; 10-12-2010 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #34
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Some pix of the only known AS SSK was provided by RobM on page 1 of this thread. I'm assuming the piece you're inquiring about is included, since it's supposed to be a true full kit. I've heard great things about AS from E46 M3 owners, and I've driven RobM's car with it installed as well; and do agree that it is quite spectacular. There were a few others interested in the kit, but only two more spots available in the GB. I'd suggest you reserve your slot if you have the money and am `00% sure about purchasing =]

Last edited by mfanatic325; 10-12-2010 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #35
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

A couple of things that needs to be cleared up. First, it appears to me that the carrier arm they provided is the same as the carrier arm that's on the car. Unless the provided carrier arm is modified or altered in a way to allow the selector unit to fit, you're paying extra for a carrier arm you don't need. The pictures does not indicate one way or another, if the carrier arm is different or altered.

Second, the arm below the pivot is the same length as the factory stick. technically, you're not paying for a short shift kit, you're paying for the encased pivot bearing, for the selector rod plunger (which already exist on the transmission), and for a better lower selector rod to selector stick interface, since the lower sweep angle is not changed. In essence you can achieve the same shorter throw with a shorter knob (like the ZHP knob). What you are getting in return is the tighter bearing structure (instead of the rubber ball on plastic cup design from factory, and the selector rod on plastic pivot underneath. So for the price you're really paying for a better, more solid engagement, plus a shorter upper stick hence the ratio between the upper stick and lower stick is changed, but there's no change in actual throw angle.

To be absolutely honest? In my professional opinion, the UUC unit is better. Actually the B&M unit in my car is probably the best overall design (it's simpler to install, it uses an encased self lubricating bearing, it actually has a taller lower stick to decrease throw angle*, and it does not use fasteners to hold the pivot to the factory carrier arm). Too bad they don't make it anymore.

*p.s.: Actually, the upper stick on the B&M 45130 is LONGER than the OEM upper stick, making the ratio between the upper stick and the lower stick the same as OEM. So TECHNICALLY? The B&M 45130 unit is not a "short" throw shifter either, since it decreases the sweep angle, but made the top part of the stick longer and therefore results in the overall distance travelled between gates the same as OEM. Unfortunately, there really isn't a big market for the Z4 in terms of short shifter, because BMW already made the Z4 manual shifter about 30% shorter than the typical BMW 3 series shifter...resulting in near perfect ergonomics straight from the factory. Obviously the bearing design could use some tightening up, but that's about the only thing that's worth improving on the shifter on the Z4 IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #36
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
A couple of things that needs to be cleared up. First, it appears to me that the carrier arm they provided is the same as the carrier arm that's on the car. Unless the provided carrier arm is modified or altered in a way to allow the selector unit to fit, you're paying extra for a carrier arm you don't need. The pictures does not indicate one way or another, if the carrier arm is different or altered.

Second, the arm below the pivot is the same length as the factory stick. technically, you're not paying for a short shift kit, you're paying for the encased pivot bearing, for the selector rod plunger (which already exist on the transmission), and for a better lower selector rod to selector stick interface, since the lower sweep angle is not changed. In essence you can achieve the same shorter throw with a shorter knob (like the ZHP knob). What you are getting in return is the tighter bearing structure (instead of the rubber ball on plastic cup design from factory, and the selector rod on plastic pivot underneath. So for the price you're really paying for a better, more solid engagement, plus a shorter upper stick hence the ratio between the upper stick and lower stick is changed, but there's no change in actual throw angle.

To be absolutely honest? In my professional opinion, the UUC unit is better. Actually the B&M unit in my car is probably the best overall design (it's simpler to install, it uses an encased self lubricating bearing, it actually has a taller lower stick to decrease throw angle*, and it does not use fasteners to hold the pivot to the factory carrier arm). Too bad they don't make it anymore.

*p.s.: Actually, the upper stick on the B&M 45130 is LONGER than the OEM upper stick, making the ratio between the upper stick and the lower stick the same as OEM. So TECHNICALLY? The B&M 45130 unit is not a "short" throw shifter either, since it decreases the sweep angle, but made the top part of the stick longer and therefore results in the overall distance travelled between gates the same as OEM. Unfortunately, there really isn't a big market for the Z4 in terms of short shifter, because BMW already made the Z4 manual shifter about 30% shorter than the typical BMW 3 series shifter...resulting in near perfect ergonomics straight from the factory. Obviously the bearing design could use some tightening up, but that's about the only thing that's worth improving on the shifter on the Z4 IMO.
You need to look at the other SSKs made by this guy to understand. normally the carrier bushings are replaced with solid "zero clearance" bearings where it mounts to the transmission. Same thing for the selector rod pivot going to the transmission and shift lever.

Doesn't look like he's done all of this for the Z4M unfortunately. I would take a stock selector rod with all the bearings any day. I think he needs to clarify what is going to be included.
      10-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #37
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

wish I knew the exact answers. I will forward this info to Ronald and ask for some clarification and get back to you guys. Thanks for the questions!

But for the record, a personal friend of mine tried the UUC SSK, and he hates it. I was pretty surprised, as I always thought that UUC made quality products for bimmers, but yeah, he didn't like how it felt, so he uninstalled it very soon after.

Last edited by mfanatic325; 10-12-2010 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #38
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Don;t like UUC either, adjustable shifter heights are fail.
      10-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #39
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Here is what Ronald replied with in regards to the concerns above:

"Sorry about the delay in getting back to you but I was out of town yesterday. october is a crazy travelling month for me
to answer the q? breifly:
'one person stated - "It appears to me that the carrier arm that AutoSolutions is providing is the same as the carrier arm that came from the factory. Unless the provided carrier arm is modified or altered in a way to allow the selector unit to fit, you're pretty much just paying extra for a carrier arm you don't need. The pictures RobM provided do not clearly indicate one way or another, whether the carrier arm is different or altered.'
the factory carrier arm is altered for clearance and depending on the ratio selected it is also altered for pivot height

'Normally the carrier bushings are replaced with Auto Solutions' solid "zero clearance" bearings where it mounts to the transmission.'
No carrier bushings are provided with the z4 kit. a carrier bushing is provided with the z3 kit becuase the z3 kit uses one carrier bushing and that is unsufficient to prevent the arm from rotating. the z4 uses 2 bushings approx 1 inch apart and that is sufficient to prevent the carrier arm from rotating

'Same thing for the selector rod pivot going to the transmission and shift lever. It doesn't look like he's done all of this for the Z4M unfortunately though, and I would rather stick with my OEM if that's the case.'
Sorry I do not understand what that means. I will assume it means the coupler joint that connect the front of the selector rod to the tranny shift rail. we replace the factory coupler with our own hardened coupler that has a manganese bronze bushing . This provide really good control across the H pattern. "

Let me know if you guys have any other questions. There are currently no more available spots open for the GB unfortunately. Trying to see if Ronald is willing to do 10 total kits as opposed to just the 5.

edit: Ronald is going to allow a maximum of 10 GB orders. Beyond this amount, he claims he cannot control the quality of each kit properly, so he is not willing to produce beyond 10.

Last edited by mfanatic325; 10-14-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0