ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #23
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

youre missing the point....but i do agree the sc is more purpose designed.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #24
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Thought i would post this for fun, maybe someone will get creative :P

You can buy the HPF manifold from the supplier direct for $1,500.
http://www.steedspeed.com/bmw_e46_turbo_manifold

Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #25
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

yeah but there isnt a person in the world with balls enough to properly crack that dme
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #26
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
O-cha,
would you install a sc again on the z4m or did you feel it was unbalanced? Perhaps I'll just build/buy e36 turbo and keep the z4m as is....
I'm actually going to put mine back on in the next week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
why would you want put a turbo on a Z4M an introduce lag to a vehicle that has almost instantaneous reaction to throttle input? Doesn't a SC seem to make more sense? Am I missing something?
It's up to the person doing it, usually you need a turbo to get big power and they usually deliver more torque/efficiency. But yea superchargers retain more response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
Thought i would post this for fun, maybe someone will get creative :P
Hardware is never the problem tuning is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
yeah but there isnt a person in the world with balls enough to properly crack that dme
Wouldn't be able to use the stock DME alone, and balls aren't required, lots of money would be.
      10-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #27
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Why bother, put a Motec on the car and be done with it. The factory DME is a great ECU but will require some sort of piggy back just as the HPF kit did, there are plenty of people with balls enough to make it happen, just a matter of someone bringing a wallet big enough to make it happen. I could deliver a kit for the car no problem at my shop, just a matter of someone paying for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #28
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

im confused will look motec and learn something.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #29
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep

Quote:
im confused will look motec and learn something.
It's a standalone engine management system that is custom tailored to do whatever you tell it to. Common in almost all forms of motorsports. Basically for a system like this you would build a custom harness and have the Motec wired in as a secondary ECU to control fuel and timing, while allowing the factory ECU to handle the cars drive ability features. It's not as easy as it sounds, but very do-able. I have a Porsche and Lamborghini Twin Turbo running on this system now, getting a Z4M shouldn't be that difficult, just a matter of it being worth the investment (4-5k on the electronics side in addition to the turbo kit itself.)

-Wes
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #30
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

finally some real info.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #31
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

i looked at the motec website....good info.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #32
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep

HPF uses a similar setup in their kits, only using an AEM box (which in the past has been quite a bit inferior to Motec in terms of hardware quality). That being said an AEM or any other standalone given the outputs and inputs can be configured to make it work with the proper time and know how invested.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #33
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
finally some real info.
It's what I have been telling you, it takes money, can be done, but takes money, more then anyone here would pay.

The development just to get any management system plugged in is huge. THere are tons of "roadblocks" just getting vanos tuned is a absolutely massive undertaking, you're talking thousands of maps.

You're talking 100ks in development.
      10-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #34
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

More tuning options, its defiantly a pricey system but they have plug and play for s54.
I know our ecus are different but i would imagine that the harness would be same or require minimal changes to suit or cars.

Vi-PEC V88 plug & play E46 M3 MS54 standalone ECU available through Apex Speed Tech

Quote:
Apex Speed Tech has announced a plug and play S54 ECU kit utilizing the Vi-PEC V88 is available for $3400. This includes a complete plug and play harness. The ECU has dual map capability which means pump and race tunes at the flip of a switch. It also supports the E46 traction control. Apex Speed Tech is claiming they have used this ECU successfully in everything from road racing to 1200 whp twin turbo setups. We haven't seen these twin turbo setups personally or any details of to support that claim but this plug and play ECU should open up the S54 to some interesting custom setups as well as a variety of swaps.

Originally Posted by Apex Speed Tech
We're excited to announce our S54 plug & play kit featuring Vi-PEC. Following on the success of our S14 kits and custom Vi-PEC S54 installs, we've developed a kit that offers incredible value with none of the compromises of other kits in this price range. The kit retails for $3400 and includes:

1. Vi-PEC V88 ECU.
2. Complete plug & play harness - uses all stock sensors and no modifications. We will require a stock harness as a core.
3. Bosch ignition amplifiers - uses stock coils and harness.
4. Optional wideband lambda, allows you to take advantage of Vi-PEC's excellent self-tuning features - $189.50
5. Dual map capability - 2 position switch for pump or race gas - $90
6. Aftermarket dash cable - allows for integration with AIM dashes - $90
7. Optional standalone ABS kit, allows you to integrate stock E46 ABS for traction control. Includes diagnostic cable, custom harness and software - $1990.
8. All of our kits are fully customizable. Tell us what you need and we'll quote you!

Our kit offers features that many others in this price range leave out. These include:

1. Fully sequential fuel AND spark.
2. Retains the original fly-by-wire throttle setup.
3. Runs the stock dual VANOS cam control.
4. Allows deletion of the stock mass-airflow meter.
5. Uses the stock idle air control motor.
6. Features a built-in baro sensor for altitude correction.
7. Allows for knock control - dyno tuning required.
8. Can run feature such as closed-loop turbocharger wastegate control, intercooler spray bars, nitrous control and more!

Apex has done S54 motors with Vi-PEC, MOTEC & Pectel ECUs, and worked with them in Speed World Challenge and Grand Am. Other projects we've done have been featured in magazines such as European Car, Performance BMW, Euro Tuner, Street Rod, Race Engine Technology and Roadracing World, as well as on Discovery Channel/TLC, The History Channel and ESPN. Apex has done some of the most powerful S54's in the world including twin-turbo setups making over 1200hp at the wheels!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #35
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

plug and play is not the same thing as tuned. Though it eliminates a bit of work.
      10-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #36
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

I know, but i think most people know of good tuners. The bigger problem is having something that can be tuned.
Vi-pec could be step in the right direction and be a little easier then custom wiring a motec or similar.

I cant find any info on piggy back set ups with our dme, also cant find much our on s65 and s85 ecu options. Thinking if there is someone running a piggy back set up on one of those engines then it should be possible to do the same with ours which would make things ever easier.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #37
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

some one should just get it over with an make a turbo kit....what i dont get is how the hell does the e46 hpf make it happen all day and were here bitching about piping and clearance issues.....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #38
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

i know i couldnt afford more than 15k for a kit right now so im the last to talk.....but cmon people.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #39
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
some one should just get it over with an make a turbo kit....what i dont get is how the hell does the e46 hpf make it happen all day and were here bitching about piping and clearance issues.....
Tens of thousands of E46 M3's.

~4000 Z4 M's. The number and market simply isn't worthwhile.

Any reason why the ESS VT2-500 SC kit wouldn't be adequate? I'm not the most well educated on the topic, but I'm not clear why you'd be willing to pay double for a turbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #40
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Like I said hardwares not the problem.
      10-14-2010, 12:36 AM   #41
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
Any reason why the ESS VT2-500 SC kit wouldn't be adequate? I'm not the most well educated on the topic, but I'm not clear why you'd be willing to pay double for a turbo.
+1. There is a proven SC system by ESS. Why bother with turbo? Not to mention the turbo lag etc...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #42
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

You would have limitless options with a turbo kit. What size turbo you want to run, what type of boost levels you want to run, how much power you want to make.
Then you also have boost control, boost control per gear or rpm, launch control ect Stuff you cant do with the s/c kit because its boost is directly proportional to rpm.

You could also make more power with equal or less boost compared to the s/c kits.

As for lag i think you could make a pretty decent single turbo set up with next to no lag.

Not that im thinking of going turbo - but there are advantages and i think if someone does make a custom kit it would be a great project to follow.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #43
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

i think like ocha said its all down to tunning.
i just dont see why the tunning from hpf wont work on the e85 aside from the tubing.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #44
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
i think like ocha said its all down to tunning.
i just dont see why the tunning from hpf wont work on the e85 aside from the tubing.
Personally I believe it will, but there's no way to be sure, and HPF is not prepared to sink the money necessary into it to find out if it will, especially with the very low potential for selling many kits.