ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

searched ALL OVER - inspection 1 or 2?

Hey guys, I'll keep it short, but I have to say I have searched far and wide, using Google, on this site, you name it. One of the problems finding an answer to this is the search terms you have to use.

Anyway, question is fairly simple. I own an '07 Z4 M Coupe and bought it just six months ago with about 100,000 miles on it. When I start the car, it says "Inspection" 5700 miles or so.

How the heck am I supposed to know if it's inspection 1 or 2?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

the local BMW dealer should be able to tell you fairly quickly - some will do it with a phone call - others will require you to stop by with your key fob. That's assuming that the inspections were all done at dealerships and not done by the owner him/herself or an independent garage.
The basic rule of thumb is that inspections are done around 30k miles. I tend to get a few miles less. The computer calculates gas used to determine when inspections are required.
So in your case, inspection 1 at 30k - perhaps 28k?, inspection 2 at 60k - perhaps 56k?, inspection 1 at 90k - perhaps 84k?, inspection 2 at 120 - perhaps 112k?. I would believe you are due for an inspection 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Inspection 1 is the most comprehensive of the two, so I'd recommend just starting with a baseline of Inspection 1 service and go from there.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich4411 View Post
the local BMW dealer should be able to tell you fairly quickly - some will do it with a phone call - others will require you to stop by with your key fob. That's assuming that the inspections were all done at dealerships and not done by the owner him/herself or an independent garage.
The basic rule of thumb is that inspections are done around 30k miles. I tend to get a few miles less. The computer calculates gas used to determine when inspections are required.
So in your case, inspection 1 at 30k - perhaps 28k?, inspection 2 at 60k - perhaps 56k?, inspection 1 at 90k - perhaps 84k?, inspection 2 at 120 - perhaps 112k?. I would believe you are due for an inspection 2.
Agreed that you're most likely due for an inspection 2 at 100k. FYI...My inspection 1 came at about 23k and inspection 2 was at 45k. I need to remove some lead from my right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Inspection 1 is the most comprehensive of the two, so I'd recommend just starting with a baseline of Inspection 1 service and go from there.
No - Inspection 2 is the most comprehensive of the two.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich4411 View Post
Thanks, this is the best answer I've seen. Also, what is implied and I didn't explicitly ask is: "for inspection 1 does it just say "INSPECTION"? And for II it says "INSPECTION II"? I guess it just says the same thing for both.

So, it sounds I can just "decide" that it represents Inspection II (I was going to do everything anyway, valve adjustment, already flushed brake fluid, plugs, etc.). In about 30k miles it will again say nothing else but "INSPECTION" and I'll consider it to be 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Agreed that you're most likely due for an inspection 2 at 100k. FYI...My inspection 1 came at about 23k and inspection 2 was at 45k. I need to remove some lead from my right foot
I think the guy before me had a lead foot too, but it seems to be at this point whether it's meant to be a 1 or 2, I won't mess anything up (and in fact the opposite) if I treat it as if it's supposed to be a 2.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Quote:
what is implied and I didn't explicitly ask is: "for inspection 1 does it just say "INSPECTION"? And for II it says "INSPECTION II"? I guess it just says the same thing for both.
the display does not distinguish between inspection 1 and inspection 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post

Your right. My bad, I'm a bit rusty on the old school inceptions . But the point is do the max so everything is covered.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Also if you are at all handy with tools then doing the valve adjustment as a diy to save money really isn't all that bad.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #9
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Also if you are at all handy with tools then doing the valve adjustment as a diy to save money really isn't all that bad.
Oh yeah, I plan to keep this car a long time and I'll save thousands over the long run by doing it myself. I'm sure the first time I do it will take me forever but I'll learn
Appreciate 0