ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #45
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...97#post3494097
      10-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #46
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprint View Post
I don't understand why the the struts towers need to be reinforced.?? with camber plates.

The KW clubsports come with camber plates too. There are many drivers that have tracked with camber plates and don't have any struts tower issues. What about all the E46 M3 guys with camber plates??

Brakes don't just fail. Specially stock brakes. If they go out it is gradual and you feel them going off.

If someone wrecks theirs car due to failing brakes I would attribute that to driver error. Don't blame the brakes because you over drove the car.
The camber plates that TCKline sells for the Z4M are very narrow at the top and do not distribute the load evenly to the top of the strut tower. My strut towers were showing deformation at the top from the loads being put upon the car. Apparently this is a common problem for some people that run their car on abusive tracks. The solution was to either replace with plates designed specifically for the car (unlike TCKline plates) with a purpose built suspension (KW has the most experience with the Z4M on the ring) or get a set of X5 strut tower reinforcements and slide them up inside the Z4M strut towers as recommended by a company in the US familiar with the problem.

The brakes were fading and I knew it. I will admit I overdrove the car and yes the accident was my fault. I'm not blaming the car. In hindsight, I was on the extended downhill section of the ring leading to Breidsheid which is the lowest point on the course which put a lot of pressure on the front brakes. I was surprised that the brakes went from a manageable and mediocre condition to mush. I guess I shouldn't have said they 'failed'. They just didn't perform to my expectation for that specific corner. As soon as I put my foot into the brakes, I knew I was in trouble, but yes--my fault.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #47
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

back on the topic of track wheels...

So there was a craigslist listing for wheels that I couldn't pass up.

$750 US for a set of 18" lightweight Enkei NT-03M Racing Wheels with Nitto NT-01 R-Comp rubber on them. The set was only used on two different track days so the wheels are perfect and the tires have one, maybe two more heavy track days left in them. My math says it's a pretty decent deal.

Here they are in front of "Ruby":

I've also attached a matrix I put together comparing the various tire options for these wheels to stock. (Columns shaded in red are what's currently mounted).
Attached Images

11-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #48
Tourist
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Now I read about Volk Racing RE-30īs and Advan RS in this thread. How do the two brands or wheels compare in weight and quality. As far as I researched the Volkīs are forged and the Advanīs are cast. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sam
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #49
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Our most popular wheel we sell for track purposes would be the 18" staggered VMR CSL style wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #50
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Now I read about Volk Racing RE-30īs and Advan RS in this thread. How do the two brands or wheels compare in weight and quality. As far as I researched the Volkīs are forged and the Advanīs are cast. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sam
In general forged > cast. That's not to say there isn't crap forged wheels out there tho. Don't know much about advan wheels, but most people really like volk wheels.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0