ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
yarosus
Yaro
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Buying decision.. DD and track car. 2003 Z4 3.0i 6M vs 2006 Z4 3.0si AT vs 335i e92

Hi guys and girls
I know it were a lot of similar threads around here and read all of them :/
Don't judge my English please

I've been for a loooong time lurker here and I was looking for a perfect car for daily driving and occasion autocross/track events.

I am single, so no family and in my case I won't really cry about losing back seats.
For last year I test drove next cars: G35, G37, Porsche 911 (996), BMW 328i, 335i, e46 M3, 2003 Z4 3.0i 6M and 2006 Z4 3.0si AT.

G35/G37 love them until I test drove bmw 328i Just because of handling and feeling.

P996... Truly track car, didn't find it comfortable, but better than e46 m3 in my opinion.

Drove e46 M3 and I was really disappointment of interior quality.. Whole cabin were rattle. Of course a lot of power. Then I took 335i for a spin and I love it, fast as m3 and way comfortable, but little bit pricy.

Finally I felt in love with 335i and Z4, but Z4 is way more fun and less expensive.

I am choosing right now between 2 animals:
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6M, Sport, Black/Beige, 30k miles, for $17k
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si AT, Sport, Premium, Nav, Black/Red, 50k miles, for $20k

Even $17k I think it a lot of money for a used fun car with only 2 seats.

First I drove 3.0si with AT and I felt the car was so comfortable and still sharp on the corners and I love it. Black on red.. omg its like a pure sex on wheels but it has 50k miles and 3 owners.

Couple days ago I went to test drive 2003 z4 3.0i with 6M. The car looks like it was taken care of, 2 owners only. Really clean car and only 30k miles. I didn't floor cause it was in rush hour time and I thought it has more potential than I able to handle right now. The car was more raw and I can feel every single bump and I stuck in traffic :/ that why I didn't really like/enjoy this car. And in my opinion beige interior looks suck :/

At the end I just love cars like most people here and would love to have them all

My questions are:
1) Is it worth to buy Z4 2006 with N52 engine than 2003 with M54 engine?
2) Which car will be more reliable since the 2003 has 30k miles and 2006 has 50k miles?
3) How much it will cost to swap interior from beige to red or to black???
4) I will attend autocross and track events. I am going there to not compete, just to have fun and learn. Does automatic transmission with paddle shifter (+ extra transmission cooler) will be good as manual transmission for track??
5) I am living in area with a lot of mountains. I read that 2003 Z4 doesn't have hill stop function. Can I add it??? How much it will cost?
6) Car modding. Does M54 has more availability mods for power gain?? I read that on s/c is the way for N52 engines.

Don't forgot to Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

Go with the 2006 3.0si, The added power is more important thant the manual transmission in my opinion. I have a 2005 3.0i with automatic and I track it and in manual mode it is pretty fun and even though it is an automatic it allows you to do more than with some autos, you can short shift it, downshift under relatively high RPMs(some cars computers will not allow this). Throw a cold air intake and a tune on it and have some fun. These cars are a blast on the track.

P.S. I would not recomend the black interior, I had my heart set on a blk/blk Z4 until the day in July that I went to the dealership to test drive it with the top down.....scorcher, I nearly baked in that thing and went out looking for a blk/beige which stays much more comfortable when the sun is blazing.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
yarosus
Yaro
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
Go with the 2006 3.0si, The added power is more important thant the manual transmission in my opinion. I have a 2005 3.0i with automatic and I track it and in manual mode it is pretty fun and even though it is an automatic it allows you to do more than with some autos, you can short shift it, downshift under relatively high RPMs(some cars computers will not allow this). Throw a cold air intake and a tune on it and have some fun. These cars are a blast on the track.
I felt some delay in gears change in automatic transmission, especially between 1-2 and 2-3. Do you feel the same when you driving your car or It might just transmission issue in this car?

Quote:
P.S. I would not recomend the black interior, I had my heart set on a blk/blk Z4 until the day in July that I went to the dealership to test drive it with the top down.....scorcher, I nearly baked in that thing and went out looking for a blk/beige which stays much more comfortable when the sun is blazing.
I was thinking about this also, what about red interior?? Will it heat up like hell as black interior??
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarosus View Post
I felt some delay in gears change in automatic transmission, especially between 1-2 and 2-3. Do you feel the same when you driving your car or It might just transmission issue in this car?

I was thinking about this also, what about red interior?? Will it heat up like hell as black interior??
There is a very slight delay on upshifts but after a week of driving it you will be able to factor that delay into your shifts and get your shifts timed perfectly. Where you using the paddle shifters? When I got my tune it seemed to address the delay very slightly but might have been my imagination. If you are expecting it to shift like a Ferarri F1 paddle shifter does you are going to be disappointed. My best friend owns a 2012 AMG C63 Black Series that cost $130K and it's paddle shifters do not shift much, if any quicker than mine and his car just won the Car and Driver Lightening Lap shootout. I prefer the automatic, even for track duty, especially on multi gear downshifts. There is a little know feature on the automatics, if you just hold down the paddle shifter while braking into a turnand let off when you want to get back in it it puts you in the exact gear you want to be in, no guessing involved and no need to tap the paddle or shifter multiple time to get in the gear you want. I don't care what anyone on the board or what diehard manual transmission fan will try to argue, there is no beating one of these autos in downshift precision.

As for the red interior, my actual second choice after the blk/blk was white/red but that is a SUPER rare combination so I settled for the blk/beige. Since I never test drove a red interior car I can not speak as to how hot it gets compared to the black or beige.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

I do believe that the m54s have a lot more mod potential (aka FI) vs the n52s, which have magnesium/al blocks and a cast crank? This means that the n52 is already at the peak unless you do something to completely change the engine. (Or software based tuning, but the gains you may get may be questionable...)

My car is actually red on black (Red m seats, black/silver interior) and even though I haven't had a chance to operate it on very hot days yet, it seems to be nice and cool so far even in direct sunlight. The color scheme is also absolutely gorgeous and makes it look like a true sports car.

I too would want the si, but the automatic would be a dealbreaker for me. I've noticed that even though my car is the 3.0i n52, the stick makes it seem faster than the si automatic I test drove. Probably just me being weird, but sticks just seem to make cars seem faster.

You'll have to think long and hard about that choice I guess.

Eitherway, these are awesome cars. Really makes you enjoy driving.
Good luck!
-gc
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
yarosus
Yaro
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-can View Post
I do believe that the m54s have a lot more mod potential (aka FI) vs the n52s, which have magnesium/al blocks and a cast crank? This means that the n52 is already at the peak unless you do something to completely change the engine. (Or software based tuning, but the gains you may get may be questionable...)
Neh...I won't do any FI or s/c with engine. Maybe just an intake and headers and remapping if need it.

Quote:
My car is actually red on black (Red m seats, black/silver interior) and even though I haven't had a chance to operate it on very hot days yet, it seems to be nice and cool so far even in direct sunlight. The color scheme is also absolutely gorgeous and makes it look like a true sports car.
Yeah. I bet girls love the color scheme But one problem... You can't do "menage a trois" with z4

Quote:
I too would want the si, but the automatic would be a dealbreaker for me. I've noticed that even though my car is the 3.0i n52, the stick makes it seem faster than the si automatic I test drove. Probably just me being weird, but sticks just seem to make cars seem faster.
from wiki:
2003 3.0i has 231 PS (170 kW; 228 hp)@5900 300 N·m (220 lb·ft)@3500 2006 3.0si has 265 PS (195 kW; 261 hp)@6600 315 N·m (232 lb·ft)@2750
And yep I love to have power

With MT you just feel the car is faster, but I think MT and AT are almost the same

Quote:
You'll have to think long and hard about that choice I guess.
Actually I was shopping for a new car for more than 2 years.. I just try to be calm when I am buying a car and look on all factors. Like fun, reliability, cost of ownership and especially depreciation (Oh yeah Z4m Coupe!!! But can't justify with only 2 seats in non-convertible).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
yarosus
Yaro
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is a very slight delay on upshifts but after a week of driving it you will be able to factor that delay into your shifts and get your shifts timed perfectly. Where you using the paddle shifters? When I got my tune it seemed to address the delay very slightly but might have been my imagination. If you are expecting it to shift like a Ferarri F1 paddle shifter does you are going to be disappointed. My best friend owns a 2012 AMG C63 Black Series that cost $130K and it's paddle shifters do not shift much, if any quicker than mine and his car just won the Car and Driver Lightening Lap shootout. I prefer the automatic, even for track duty, especially on multi gear downshifts. There is a little know feature on the automatics, if you just hold down the paddle shifter while braking into a turnand let off when you want to get back in it it puts you in the exact gear you want to be in, no guessing involved and no need to tap the paddle or shifter multiple time to get in the gear you want. I don't care what anyone on the board or what diehard manual transmission fan will try to argue, there is no beating one of these autos in downshift precision.
Thanks for tips!

I see you are from Illinois, do you drive in winter??? Mountains?? Tell me your experience.

Quote:
As for the red interior, my actual second choice after the blk/blk was white/red but that is a SUPER rare combination so I settled for the blk/beige. Since I never test drove a red interior car I can not speak as to how hot it gets compared to the black or beige.
My current car color is Pearl white and I loved.. But I got tired of the white color and always wanted black. Actually couple miles from my house I found z4 white on red Looks sexy, but I won't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

Plenty of Z4M`s out there on the cheap. With an ess supercharger you can have a beast that has trouble keeping the tires on the ground. YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT.
      02-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
yarosus
Yaro
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MHawk View Post
Plenty of Z4M`s out there on the cheap. With an ess supercharger you can have a beast that has trouble keeping the tires on the ground. YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT.
I was thinking about Z4m. I am seeing them for around $22l-$24k with less then 45k miles.
But I don't think so much power will be necessary.
+ Z4m eat more gas
+ maintaining the car is more expensive.
+ insurance cost is high.
But oh come on! It's M! Well I think if I were looking for a truck car only I will get z4m Coupe. Love the how they look.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarosus View Post
Thanks for tips!

I see you are from Illinois, do you drive in winter??? Mountains?? Tell me your experience.

My current car color is Pearl white and I loved.. But I got tired of the white color and always wanted black. Actually couple miles from my house I found z4 white on red Looks sexy, but I won't buy it.
This is a summer only toy for me, no winter driving for my Z4
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Go drive a M Coupe' for an hour. It will be yours.... It is also a great daily driver and track car.
There is also no comparison between the manual transmission and the auto. The Auto is a slush box.....

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

^WHS, but a Coupe is going to be a different picture, price-wise... upper $20s at best.

If you're serious about tracking, be sure to do your homework on your local tracks and organizations re: convertibles, lest you end up with a car that severely limits your track opportunities.

If you want to mod and track, M3 might be your best overall choice. Drive another one--shouldn't be loose and rattling.
      02-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
yarosus
Yaro
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
^WHS, but a Coupe is going to be a different picture, price-wise... upper $20s at best.

If you're serious about tracking, be sure to do your homework on your local tracks and organizations re: convertibles, lest you end up with a car that severely limits your track opportunities.

If you want to mod and track, M3 might be your best overall choice. Drive another one--shouldn't be loose and rattling.
Z4m is not on the list, only if I will find good deal that I can't resist Insurance, maintenance. I guess the maintenance required as m3.
M3.. Love it and hate it if I am comparing with 335i.

Ah.. want to own all of them buy.. have fun for little bit.. sell...buy another one and etc...

Will buy z4 for summer and then will see, maybe will sale for something else or will keep it and get second car.

Now I am just searching for a good deal on z4. Or just will pay premium and pick it up 2006 z4 3.0si. Black on red, looks soo sexy.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

Don't rush, but don't wait too long either. Most of the dealers where I live jack up the price on rag tops by about 20% when April rolls around. When I bought mine, the last thing in the world I wanted was a black interior. Had one with a convertible 2006 Miata and my wife complained from the very first sunny day we took it out about the interior getting too hot. Felt really stupid driving around with the top down and the AC on. I ended up with the Monaco blue and beige interior and love both.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Seems like you should wait and find a 3.0si with MT.. As stated, you don't want to rush but you also want to be ready when the right deal comes along. The maintenance is a consideration with the M cars compared to the non-M, but it's not THAT much different especially if you can do most or all of it yourself.

Honestly if I had to choose, I'd proabbly chose the 3.0i with MT over the autotragic. They're both fairly close in terms of standing 1/4 mile, so I'd probably choose the manual tranny. A car like this seems like a waste if you're not rowing through the gears yourself.
Appreciate 0