ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #89
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Looks great! Now you need some rear side blades to complete the look. I'm testing out some templates with hopes of eventually doing some CF layups for rear blades and front blades. I'm going for something more subtle in the front than the M-staches.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #90
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Those look pretty sweet. Did you make those custom, or modify a set made for something else?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #91
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion
Those look pretty sweet. Did you make those custom, or modify a set made for something else?
Right now they're custom templates made out of cardboard. I'm testing some shapes and designs out. Eventually will do a 3D print, some fiberglass molds than fiberglass or CF parts. They will be designed to just screw in using existing screw points on the fascia with double sided tape for support.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #92
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamookie
Quote:
Right now they're custom templates made out of cardboard. I'm testing some shapes and designs out. Eventually will do a 3D print, some fiberglass molds than fiberglass or CF parts. They will be designed to just screw in using existing screw points on the fascia with double sided tape for support.
Looks damn decent so far. Definitely would go a long way to round out the look. If you get them finished up, you can sign me up.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #93
pcube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, G20 320i

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but AGT actually have the side skirt lips in different shapes/designs and also in fibreglass instead of CF.

I ordered the S-type in fibreglass. Not sure how it will turn out but will definitely post pics once they're installed.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #94
pcube
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion View Post
Looks damn decent so far. Definitely would go a long way to round out the look. If you get them finished up, you can sign me up.
Count me in too...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #95
pcube
Private First Class
Rep

I just received the lips... how did you guys install them? Did you jack the car up or removed the side skirts first?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:47 AM   #96
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcube
I just received the lips... how did you guys install them? Did you jack the car up or removed the side skirts first?
We put in on a lift, made it simple and easy on the back.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #97
Arick
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3, BMW X6M, Tesla M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcube View Post
Interested to see how yours line up - please keep us posted.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 03:48 AM   #98
pcube
Private First Class
Rep

I finally found the time today to install the extensions.

Mine were ordered in fibreglass instead of carbon fibre, and I had my paint shop spray them gloss black to create some contrast to my frozen black paint job. Side note: In an attempt to cut down on cost I tried to use a vinyl wrap on them first and that failed miserably. The way it is constructed just doesn't allow the vinyl to get a good hold along the edges so it will not work. Don't even bother trying.

Besides the two cut outs for the jack pads, I had to make another one at the rear end to make space for that little splash guard. You can of course choose to remove it, but i felt adding a cut out was the simpler option. Cosmetically it will not make a difference.

Installation was a pain since i was using a car jack. All the bending over and having my head upside down was really no fun. Automotive mounting tape was used to hold it in place initially, then self tapping screws straight through the extension and side skirt. I used 6 screws on each side.

Quite happy with the final results. It isn't perfect, but still managed to achieve the look I wanted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #99
Memento1731
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcube View Post
I finally found the time today to install the extensions.

Mine were ordered in fibreglass instead of carbon fibre, and I had my paint shop spray them gloss black to create some contrast to my frozen black paint job. Side note: In an attempt to cut down on cost I tried to use a vinyl wrap on them first and that failed miserably. The way it is constructed just doesn't allow the vinyl to get a good hold along the edges so it will not work. Don't even bother trying.

Besides the two cut outs for the jack pads, I had to make another one at the rear end to make space for that little splash guard. You can of course choose to remove it, but i felt adding a cut out was the simpler option. Cosmetically it will not make a difference.

Installation was a pain since i was using a car jack. All the bending over and having my head upside down was really no fun. Automotive mounting tape was used to hold it in place initially, then self tapping screws straight through the extension and side skirt. I used 6 screws on each side.

Quite happy with the final results. It isn't perfect, but still managed to achieve the look I wanted.
More pics please
I really like how these s type extensions looks
I think it's a nice combination with the standard side skirts.
Do you know where I can find them on the the AGT website? I've been searching but I can't find anything for our cars on there site
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #100
pcube
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento1731 View Post
More pics please
I really like how these s type extensions looks
I think it's a nice combination with the standard side skirts.
Do you know where I can find them on the the AGT website? I've been searching but I can't find anything for our cars on there site
Look under the universal category. They already have the dimensions so just drop them an email and let them know you want it made for an E85/86 Z4.

More pics as requested!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:15 AM   #101
Memento1731
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

[QUOTE=pcube;20615743]Look under the universal category. They already have the dimensions so just drop them an email and let them know you want it made for an E85/86 Z4.

Thanks. Found it. I have added them to my to do list
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #102
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcube
That looks great!

Btw did yours come with the cut outs for the jack points? What material is the black edge? Rubber?
I gave them the location and dimensions of the jack pads, so they pre cut them out for me.

The edging is some sort of flexible plastic material. It's pliable, and does a decent job of making the edge look neat and clean.
Curious, how thick was the carbon fiber for these parts?
Appreciate 0