ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank
Super sprint power loops will be perfect, but expensive.
This.

This is the only exhaust I'd seriously consider dropping my exhaust for.

If one ever surfaces.

In the meantime, I'm very happy with the stromung.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #24
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
I'm running the Airbox and headers with Stromung cans. I like it. I drive it to work everyday. Sounds good and it's not over the top. I don't feel embarrassed to drive it around execs.

It's fairly reserved until you get hard on the gas. It does sound a little aggressive in our underground parking garage where everything is amplified and echoes (i.e. it sounds awesome).
Make a video in the garage please ...
I'll see what I can do. I haven't had much luck accurately capturing the sound of either my airbox or exhaust. I need to get something designed to capture audio.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #25
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Will you guys PLEASE stop posting about this damn intake!!!!!!!!!
( it hurts real bad resisting this thing)
haha .. we all need goals to work towards

To add some value to this thread I have Stromung and RE Xpipe. I love the sound. It isn't quiet but it isn't obnoxious, there is some drone on cold or wet days around 2.5-3K but you can work around it easily. Really deep sound.

If I can ever figure out how to post bloody video's to youtube I will share. I am trying to put together what my current setup is like on cold start and driving around town. Then when I add headers I will do the same so people can hear the comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #26
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post

To add some value to this thread I have Stromung and RE Xpipe. I love the sound. It isn't quiet but it isn't obnoxious, there is some drone on cold or wet days around 2.5-3K but you can work around it easily. Really deep sound.

If I can ever figure out how to post bloody video's to youtube I will share. I am trying to put together what my current setup is like on cold start and driving around town. Then when I add headers I will do the same so people can hear the comparison.
This is exactly the setup I've been considering (committing to the RE X pipe in a month or two). What kind of phone do you have? Smart phone?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #27
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
This is exactly the setup I've been considering (committing to the RE X pipe in a month or two). What kind of phone do you have? Smart phone?
I have a GoPro Hero 3 black ... I loaded it via Google Plus thing but from there it keeps crashing on me and wont link to youtube. I'll try again this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
xyvyx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Yeah, my setup might be a tad loud for ya... but I'd be curious if the RE Xpipe would tone it down a bit.

I decided on the Supersprint Race mufflers after hearing Mfanatic325's setup in the exhaust fest video. I knew mine would be quieter w/ the cats + OEM xpipe/resonator... but it has a bit of drone to it in 6th gear @ ~80mph.

My first vid is slow/boring, but it gives you an idea of the sound. At the time, my o2 sensors were borked and it was extra burbly....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLu-BTAXOSI

(the parking lot had speed bumps, so I was kinda limited to how far I could go)

After getting that fixed, it ran more smoothly, so I did a dyno run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naoaJ7D8nVU

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #29
abashoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:

Do you get rasp at all? I have stromung cans and I'm thinking about either euro cats or the RE xpipe. I really want zero rasp, but lots of popping/burbling. I guess I really need a v8 for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #30
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abashoe View Post
Do you get rasp at all? I have stromung cans and I'm thinking about either euro cats or the RE xpipe. I really want zero rasp, but lots of popping/burbling. I guess I really need a v8 for that.
From all the research I've done throughout the forums and from the various videos that have been posted for these guys your best option is to go Euro Cats. The resonator is probably the greatest compensation or silencer of rasp and the Euro Cats should increase airflow/burbles and also overall noise sound.

Mirko still looking forward to your vids!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #31
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abashoe View Post
Quote:
From all the research I've done throughout the forums and from the various videos that have been posted for these guys your best option is to go Euro Cats. The resonator is probably the greatest compensation or silencer of rasp and the Euro Cats should increase airflow/burbles and also overall noise sound.

Mirko still looking forward to your vids!
No rasp with this setup. It will burble and pop once it is warm. The sound is deep when you are driving.

It has been incredibly cold and way too much snow to get the car out to do any driving videos. I will do those as soon as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=HEQbGfGH-_Y
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #32
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mirko I didn't realize you were up in the weather until just now! That video is enticing though that's a pretty serious idle.

I'm really surprised that you don't have any rasp with that setup, maybe its the cans :dunno: but most people who take of their resonators I believe report a decent amount of rasp. I was hoping to achieve that though the RE X-Pipe as well (just a smidgen) because right now I have zero rasp and have a desire for a tinge of it.

I'm terrified to go with something like the Diablos in due fact of the sound level but it may be something I'll have to continually investigate between the two. My mind is still blown that you don't have any rasp with no resonator. Maybe it's those awesome Stromung Cans?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #33
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mirko I didn't realize you were up in the weather until just now! That video is enticing though that's a pretty serious idle.

I'm really surprised that you don't have any rasp with that setup, maybe its the cans :dunno: but most people who take of their resonators I believe report a decent amount of rasp. I was hoping to achieve that though the RE X-Pipe as well (just a smidgen) because right now I have zero rasp and have a desire for a tinge of it.

I'm terrified to go with something like the Diablos in due fact of the sound level but it may be something I'll have to continually investigate between the two. My mind is still blown that you don't have any rasp with no resonator. Maybe it's those awesome Stromung Cans?
The sound once warm is great, even cold its good but yes the idle on cold starts is a little loud. It does have a little of the M6 V10 tone to it once warm and around town. Overall its very deep though. I might not be hearing the rasp as I think of rasp being an e46 m3 with basically any exhaust. That sound of sawing a tree down. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can do a driving video to share the sound. We are expecting 15cm of snow tomorrow and I dont have anywhere to put it right now!!

If you want inside the cabin once warm up I can do that. Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #34
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The sound once warm is great, even cold its good but yes the idle on cold starts is a little loud. It does have a little of the M6 V10 tone to it once warm and around town. Overall its very deep though. I might not be hearing the rasp as I think of rasp being an e46 m3 with basically any exhaust. That sound of sawing a tree down. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can do a driving video to share the sound. We are expecting 15cm of snow tomorrow and I dont have anywhere to put it right now!!

If you want inside the cabin once warm up I can do that. Let me know.
Honestly any video is awesome. I haven't heard much of the Stromung and I end up driving my M Coupe around 3-5k because the deep intake noise is just so amazing. It would be a pleasure to hear the Stromung at work and when warm for sure! I will wait patiently for the weather to pass and continue my subscription to this thread
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:27 PM   #35
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Honestly any video is awesome. I haven't heard much of the Stromung and I end up driving my M Coupe around 3-5k because the deep intake noise is just so amazing. It would be a pleasure to hear the Stromung at work and when warm for sure! I will wait patiently for the weather to pass and continue my subscription to this thread
I ended up taking the car out .. have winter tires for a reason. sigh .. dirty now .. lol

Have to say I'm not happy how the video turned out. You can't hear all the subtle nuances of the exhaust but at least you get a feel for how deep it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ZVX9x2-ZbAg
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #36
aznbo187
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 128, E91 328, E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
I'm running the Airbox and headers with Stromung cans. I like it. I drive it to work everyday. Sounds good and it's not over the top. I don't feel embarrassed to drive it around execs.

It's fairly reserved until you get hard on the gas. It does sound a little aggressive in our underground parking garage where everything is amplified and echoes (i.e. it sounds awesome).
Do you have any sound clips of that? Curious to see how the Stromung cans sound with headers.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #37
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
Do you have any sound clips of that? Curious to see how the Stromung cans sound with headers.
I just tried to take some of me in the garage. You can "hear" the exhaust but it doesn't sound right in the video at all.

I may invest in some audio recording equipment this year. If I do, I'll definitely be recording audio clips.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #38
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ended up taking the car out .. have winter tires for a reason. sigh .. dirty now .. lol

Have to say I'm not happy how the video turned out. You can't hear all the subtle nuances of the exhaust but at least you get a feel for how deep it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ZVX9x2-ZbAg
I have to say that this was awesome. It amplifies everything that I love about the intake and I can hear a little bit of what makes it unique to stromung. I wish that I could hear it in person but that would be one serious road trip. I think that this is something that I will end up going through with but it will have to wait until around the May time frame. I think I will just go through with all of it at the same time now instead of part by part, although that would make a good "intro to exhaust" for members considering the different effects of different sections and what might be most beneficial to them. (Still haven't seen a thread like that).

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you making videos in that weather, it really does mean a lot to me.
Appreciate 0