ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #45
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
F360C,

That's with Headers/Catless mid that you're shooting flames right? I'm kind of curious as to how much it takes to get that effect haha.

PS: Thank you for posting VIDS!!!!!
Yep headers and catless.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #46
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Installed

Just to recap:
Stock US headers, RE midpipe, stock X-pipe, RE Diablo cans.
The midpipe definitely takes the loud up a notch.
It used to set off car alarms with just the cans. I would say it's now at the limit for sane street use.
The RE X-pipe would have the neighbors walking around a petition.

So plan (A) was to drop the midpipe and X-pipe as a unit, then swap the midpipe, and pop it back in.
I naively overlooked the several torque-to-yield bolts.
Searched the TIS and couldn't find torque specs.

So who knows the torque specs for:
1) Rear tension struts
2) Rear reinforcement plate

Went to plan (B) and just swapped out the midpipe. As expected, the top rear flange bolts (more so the nuts) are quite a faff. Reassembly's not so bad, because the secondary cats are out of your way.
The fit's not 1/2 bad. They put honkin' holes in the flange to the X-pipe, so you get a little slop to play with.

I seem to have a whistle or buzz under heavy acceleration, though.
I'm tired of being under it, and sore, so I think I'll drive it for a week to let it settle in and then check the flanges and clearances.
I think the twist of everything under high torque is bringing one of the pipes up to where it just starts to touch the trans brace.

Last edited by StickMon; 02-21-2014 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #47
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I wonder how much it would do to the stock cans... Like 20% increase between deleting secondary cats and replacing resonator? (noise)

That's what my original estimation was.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #48
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
As expected, the top rear flange bolts (more so the nuts) are quite a faff. Reassembly's not so bad, because the secondary cats are out of your way.
The top flange nut really IS a headache. Doable, but a headache! When I swapped out for the euro secondary cats, I welded the upper nuts in place so that I would never have to get a tool onto them again. My exhaust (euro headers, euro cats with two welded cross-beams, stock X pipe, Jasma spec Arqray) is a bit too quite (although I love that it has ZERO rasp) and now you guys are making me think about that X pipe upgrade. I might give it a go this year. If I do, I will be glad that I don't have to get to those upper flange nuts again. Just my 2 cents about welding the nuts in place to not deal with them ever again.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #49
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
On that note, is it the general consensus that the RE mid-pipe is considerably quieter than the SuperSprint one?
Just got a set of RPi cans and wonder if it'll be too much with my SS X-pipe and I may move to RE (or back to stock for that matter). Wish I could have been at Exhaust-Fest
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #50
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't think there would be much difference from one catless midpipe to the next.
They're just hollow pipes.

It's hard to paint sound with words, and I no longer have any good audio equipment, but:
Stock + RE Diablo cans: Every 3rd person would turn and look when I came up the street.
Stock + RE midpipe + RE cans: Today every person turned and looked when I came up the street.
If I went from stock to no-resonator X-pipe: Everyone would turn and look and put their fingers in their ears.

Last edited by StickMon; 02-21-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #51
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't think there would be much difference from one catless midpipe to the next.
They're just hollow pipes.
The only thing that I can think if is the material/finishes used to create the pipes themselves. Even there though I don't think they vary much.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #52
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
I think Finnegan knows what I'm talking about. And I believe there is a notable difference (for whatever reason).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #53
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

So who knows the torque specs for:
1) Rear tension struts
2) Rear reinforcement plate

I seem to have a whistle or buzz under heavy acceleration, though.
I'm tired of being under it, and sore, so I think I'll drive it for a week to let it settle in and then check the flanges and clearances.
I think the twist of everything under high torque is bringing one of the pipes up to where it just starts to touch the trans brace.
I think you have the buzz cause correctly identified.

Here's a link to my install parts list and torque specs for various exhaust related pieces. Pulled the torque specs from TIS. PDF attached, but it looks rather ugly, but just in case linky no worky.

Being under, without a lift, is a PITA. Totally understand how you feel.

I agree with the assessment of "how loud". I've gone back to the Rogue Exhaust (just picked up one used). I liked how it sounded, but, not the 3k - 3.2k drone. I'm going to to fab one of these (based off this) to try and attenuate the drone.

While I'm at it I might hack the resonator out of the xpipe to make my own de-resonated xpipe. The pops, burbles, and overrun of an xpipe are wonderful. I'll just have to keep it off boil to placate the neighbors.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Xpipe Install.pdf (60.7 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Finnegan; 02-21-2014 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #54
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Thanks Finnegan!!
My guibo's looking kinda sad, so I'm going back in there soon.
      02-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #55
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
I think Finnegan knows what I'm talking about. And I believe there is a notable difference (for whatever reason).
With Xpipes, there definitely is a difference loudness. Supersprint doesn't have the same volume or burbles/pops as Rogue. The same may apply to the mid-pipe, although I don't think anyone has measured that yet. The Rogue version is relatively new.

Quote:
Thanks Finnegan!!
My guibo's looking kinda sad, so I'm going back in there soon.
You're welcome. "Guibo" always kills me. Sounds like "Guido", which is distinctly Italian--I always find that amusing given it's a German car! Don't envy you being under there. This is what motivates me to work with my friend on clearing his barn--there's a lift at the end of that particular tunnel for us.

Last edited by Finnegan; 02-22-2014 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #56
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Drove it to work and back today. First drive in anger with the new setup.
"Messerschmitt" comes to mind. Or maybe TR6 with straight pipes.
I'm determined to like it, but it needs to grow on me a little.
I did find it attracts A-holes in 328s that want to give me a run.
I didn't take the bait.
      02-25-2014, 02:12 AM   #57
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

Installed the midpipe and x-pipe tonight and I'm a little disappointing with the fitment. The midpipe bends too soon and goes under the trans mount instead of around/behind it, causing the ground clearance to decrease an inch or two (guarantee I'll scrape it quite a few times). Also, ignore the welds on the drivers side midpipe at the headers; had my wideband bung installed, but they didn't realize the flange was behind the bung, so they had to cut the pipe twice to move it.

ex9 by M detaR, on Flickr

ex10 by M detaR, on Flickr

Bend way too early:

ex1 by M detaR, on Flickr

Clearance:

ex2 by M detaR, on Flickr

ex4 by M detaR, on Flickr

Clearance to trans mount:

ex8 by M detaR, on Flickr

x-pipe from rear:

ex7 by M detaR, on Flickr

Drivers side clearance:

ex6 by M detaR, on Flickr

Passenger side touching brace (causing loud rattle):

ex5 by M detaR, on Flickr

On to the sound... Well, it's loud, absurdly loud. I'll give it some time and see if I warm up to it after more driving.

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #58
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Oh wow, that bend is bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #59
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Looks awesome (cept for bend and low hanging pipe). I have SS V2 Stepped headers with DKF Section 1 w/ resonators, RE X-Pipe (not yet installed) & strogmung. Similar setup to yours. Have not installed the xpipe yet, hoping neighbors don't hate me after I do it. Also hoping the resonator in the Section 1 is the saving grace that will keep it all tolerable. Glad it's not my daily driver though. Girlfriend will probably hate it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #60
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Right now with the issues on fitment it looks as though I might just go RE cans instead of pipes. Already have Euro headers on there just not sure what I want to do with the rest of the exhaust yet (still on stock cans).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #61
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep

Rated-
There is always a tiny bit of adjustment you can do on the X pipe to try and keep it from rubbing the brace. You have to loosen all the flange nuts, prop the X pipe up to increase clearance, and then tighten all the flange nuts. The X pipe will hold its raised position and give you more clearance. I've done that many times on cars to get an extra half inch or so of clearance.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #62
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Rated-
There is always a tiny bit of adjustment you can do on the X pipe to try and keep it from rubbing the brace. You have to loosen all the flange nuts, prop the X pipe up to increase clearance, and then tighten all the flange nuts. The X pipe will hold its raised position and give you more clearance. I've done that many times on cars to get an extra half inch or so of clearance.
I'm going to give that a shot tonight (same technique I use to adjust the mufflers, but it may be acting against the x-pipe and pushing it down). Though something in the setup has to go; it's just way too loud.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #63
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep

My car is too quiet. If u decide to get rid of the Xpipe, sell it to me.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #64
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep

I was able to adjust the x-pipe a bit while I put the stock mufflers back on (to keep my sanity). Now I just have to decide what to do with the midpipe; it definitely needs resonators for all the rasp, and to be able to put my Stromungs back on. Or maybe I'll just go back to a stock midpipe with cats.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #65
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
My car is too quiet. If u decide to get rid of the Xpipe, sell it to me.
I called dibs on Rated-M's X-pipe back in post 37!

I'm wondering now what it would sound like with stock headers and midpipes, and the RE X-pipe and cans.
Maybe that's the way I should have gone.
Wasn't sure what does more rasp absorption, the secondary cats or the "silencer" in the stock X-pipe.

It's not really that raspy now, with just the midpipes and cans, but it's at the edge of raspness.
Was all bass with just the cans. Midpipes added some midrange, and at least 10dB(A).

And there's way more
Name:  predator-drone1.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  11.1 KB

Last edited by StickMon; 02-26-2014 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 12:54 AM   #66
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep

Look what else just showed up: http://www.statusgruppe.com/products...ytic-converter

Appreciate 0