ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #23
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

anyone know of a finish or cleaning product i could put on it that might restore its tightness and maybe make it shiny black again? im an idiot. i used way too much goof off.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #24
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
hey guys, i just did this on my roadster. i think i might have used too much goof off because the visors feel a little bit looser now. is this normal? i forgot what they were like before i did it. is there a way to tighten the fabric?
mine did the same. the vinyl has a 'memeory'... fold them out to the windshield to expose them to direct sunlight over the next day or two and they should tighten back-up. mine did.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #25
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I think it is alot easier on the leatherette visors on the Z's than it was on my ///M3 felt fabric visors.
      02-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #26
roh92cp
Rep
Drives: 03 3.0 z4

Well I used Goo b gone on my black leatherette visor and half came off with some serious rubbing. It began to worry me that the black leatherette would start deteriorating from the rubbing. The other side was a nightmare it would not all come off. Some small fragments are imbeded in the ruff dimpled surface. And even on the side were it came off you can still see the outline of where the sticker was
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #27
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Use "Goof Off". I used industrial strength Goof Off. The other brands are different types of solvents and don't work nearly as well.

Wipe a little Goof Off on a paper towel, rub the sticker with it for 15 seconds and it will come right off. Thats all it took for me, no scraping, no heat, nothing. (I did use the industrial strength bottle tho) After that, I peeled the sticker off with my fingers. After that, I took a towel and some water to it to clean it, then some all-purpose car interior vinyl/leatherette cleaner to it and called it a day. No sagging or ill effects on the visor itself at all.

*edit*:This is exactly what I used

Last edited by Reach; 02-05-2008 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #28
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Isn't it goof off?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #29
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Yes, post edited for clarity.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #30
roh92cp
Rep
Drives: 03 3.0 z4

OK I got it cleaned up and it does look good now. This sounds crazy and it is but I used a stronger solution, Brake Cleaner and it worked like charm. No damage or discoloration. I would have never tried it but I was getting ready to replace the visor and thought what the hell.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #31
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 09, AW E90 M3 6MT

I guess I will try GOOF OFF... saliva didn't work, (jk) hehe..!
      02-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #32
jcharm
Rep
Drives: rx8 - RIP

Hi, I've removed my labels from two previous cars. First time I used goof off and it took some time and elbow grease to remove the labels. The vynl had a slight discoloration left over, but it was pretty good. On my last car I used brake parts cleaner and it was like magic. Took 2 minutes and no ill effects. This is definitely the way to go. Going to do it on my new Z this weekend. I probably wouldn't try it on the extended leather though.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #33
jcharm
Rep
Drives: rx8 - RIP

Just an update. Removed the labels with the Brake Parts Cleaner and it was fast and painless. Don't bother with goof off.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #34
veryhuman
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcharm View Post
Just an update. Removed the labels with the Brake Parts Cleaner and it was fast and painless. Don't bother with goof off.
Which brand did you use?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #35
gokartmozart
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe, & 2003 Z4 3.0

CRC Brake Cleaner can $3.49 at O'Reillys Auto Parts

Took drivers visor off, used hairdryer & scrapper method. VERY slow peeling and breaking up of label. Also flatted out some of the visor texture where I gently scrapped. Not happy. Had some GooBeGone. Helped a little bit but finished off with hairdryer rubbing with thumb. No damage but the most difficult method yet.

Read about brake cleaner (solvent) method. Picked up the most expensive one at the auto store (CRC was the most $$$ being one dollar over the cheapest at $3.49 a can). Coated removed passenger visor and waited 1 minute. Rubbed corner with thumb and it easily peeled off in one piece. Cleaned up with interior cleaner. Quality brake cleaner is the hands-down method!

2005 530i (wife's DD)
2003 Z4 3.0 6sp (college son's hand-me-down)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #36
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
OK. Just did mine...successfully. Here's what I learned:

1) Tried the hair dryer with no success.

2) Goo-Gone definitely does not work. Tried it three times with soak times of up to 15 min. (I had some in the garage). Nothing.

2) Went to Home Depot and picked up Goof-off 2. Also picked up goof-off concentrate, but they warned me against using the latter for this application.

3) Spayed the Goof-off 2 on and let it set for 5 minutes. Using an MF towel, I started to wipe the stuff off. Nothing happened until the visor was completely dry, then the label started to come off. After the label was gone, I used two more applications to get the residue off. Took about 5 minutes.

4) Results - first visor I tried was the passenger side. It had already been saturated with Goo-gone when I started with goof-off 2. The patch where the label was is still clearly visible (raised slightly) but still black. Dried it thoroughly and put some Armor-All on it. Looks far better, but not perfect. I hope when it thoroughly dries all evidence will disappear.

Used only the goof-off 2 on the driver side visor. Took maybe 5 min. to get everything off. Dried it and coated it with Armor-All. No evidence there was ever a label.

Lessons Learned: EVERYONE was right. Goo-Gone does not work. Use Goof-Off 2 and be patient. Let if soak for 5 minutes, dry it, then start rubbing. They label (sticky) will gradually wipe away. There will be residue after the label is gone, so repeat w/Goof-Off 2 again. Same procedure.

This really does work and even if my passenger visor does not look like new, it will be FAR better than the label.

Good luck to everyone on yours!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #37
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Finally got around to doing this!

I also used "Goof Off 2" in a spray bottle. First I sprayed a little bit on, then wiped with a cloth to get it evenly covering the warning label on each visor. I did that 3 or 4 times and just let it sit for a few minutes.

I then started rubbing off the labels in a circular direction using one of those green sponge/scouring pads. I kept spraying a bit of Goof Off 2 every so often. Eventually, the labels start to break apart and rub off.

There was still a rectangular outline of the label afterwards. I scrubbed more Goof Off 2 to see if I could totally remove it, but it just wouldn't come off. So if you look in the right light, you can still see a faint outline of where these labels once were. I don't know if I didn't do it right or if it's just because my car's a little older (2005).

Either way, it looks way better without the labels, and there really is only a faint outline. No fade in the colour at all. I just wiped on some Vinylex afterwards to shine them up & protect them.

Thanks, intgr8r for the original idea & post.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #38
Dieselino
Captain
Rep
Drives: 03 LSB M3 06 M coupe 08 M3 SG

After reading this thread I first tried the dryer method and it didnt work to well. I then tried brake cleaner and it worked like a charm as long as I kept the label drenched in brake cleaner the label came right off.

Now for the life of me I could not remove the residue. I tried the following:

1) Scrubbed with a scouring pad with more brake cleaner
2) Isopropyl Alcohol 70 and 99%
3) Nail Polish remover
4) Mineral Spirits
5) Laquer thinner (this causes discoloring)
6) Paint Thinner
7) Goo Gone

Only thing I havent tried is Goof off but I find it hard to believe it will remove the residue if all these other products wouldnt. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #39
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Just forget about it. I'm sure that, like mine, yours only has a faint outline of the old sticker. It's not noticeable unless you look close and in the right light. Either way it looks 1000x better than that stupid sticker that used to be there!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #40
Santa Fe Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5 Sport

Garage List
After you remove those ugly labels, Use 'Forever Black' to restore the blackness (I think that is a word) to the leatherette on your visors. It is a stain that will restore any black surface. I bought it from Bavarian Autosport (BavAuto.com), but you can probably get it other places too. Just be careful, it will stain anything black.

BMW rear spoiler - de-badged - MTEC HIDs (DEFECTIVE) - XENESIS high beams & fogs - shadowline front grill - 20% tint - keyhole plugs - Roadster Solutions acrylic wind deflector - LeatherZ center console & door arm rests - Parrot 3100 bluetooth - USA SPEC IPod integration - Xenon interior lighting
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #41
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe Roadster View Post
After you remove those ugly labels, Use 'Forever Black' to restore the blackness (I think that is a word) to the leatherette on your visors. It is a stain that will restore any black surface. I bought it from Bavarian Autosport (BavAuto.com), but you can probably get it other places too. Just be careful, it will stain anything black.
Yes, but my question is, once it's stained black, will it stay black forever?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #42
Santa Fe Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5 Sport

Garage List
I did mine over a year ago, and they are still black as black.

While I was at it, I also used it on the dashboard, various other black trim pieces and the tires. After over a year of weekly, and sometimes bi-weekly, car washes only the tires only looks a little less black. I plan on staining the tires once a year (just have not gotten around to it yet).

BMW rear spoiler - de-badged - MTEC HIDs (DEFECTIVE) - XENESIS high beams & fogs - shadowline front grill - 20% tint - keyhole plugs - Roadster Solutions acrylic wind deflector - LeatherZ center console & door arm rests - Parrot 3100 bluetooth - USA SPEC IPod integration - Xenon interior lighting
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #43
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe Roadster View Post
What if your visors are tan? I am about to do the brake cleaner method as I just bought some... I am hesitant but oh well, here goes nothing... (update in 5)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #44
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Okay, more than 5 minutes and I am not 100% happy with the result

The first label came off without a hitch... took 2 minutes tops and looked great. Of course right after I get my hopes up the drivers side leaves behind a blackish residue Now I have to deal with getting that off....

edit: second to last pic is passenger side and last pic is driver side.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded

Last edited by Hawkeye; 06-16-2020 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0