ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Talking His and Her's Z4's: Part II

It's Friday evening and I am now home with my very own Z4MC. 1325 miles from Tyler, TX to Virginia Beach, VA. What a great drive!!!!

I encountered NO bad weather on the trip back. Drove I-20 from Tyler to Atlanta, then picked up I-85. By that time I had been in the seat for 13 hours and I was tired and my back had started to hurt so I stopped last night to get some sleep at 8PM. Atlanta was going to be a decision point for weather. If weather was bad, I was going to continue on I-20, staying south and pick up I-95, then head north. Everything looked good, so no decision necessary.

Due to the nature of my job, I rent cars and drive long distances a lot. This was the first time my back did not start hurting after about seven hours of driving. The seats are just so comfortable.

In Atlanta, I had the alarm set for 4AM but I failed open at 2:30AM. Took a shower and took off. Drove past the BMW plant in Spartenburg...
and got in to VB around 1130AM today.

I never let the fuel tank go lower than 1/2 so there were frequent stops. It's just one of my screwy quirks...

From Tyler, TX into Louisiana I had the cruise set around 75MPH. Of course there was a few 'sprints' but I averaged 23MPG. Real computations, not the computer. After Louisiana, the MPG went up to about 24MPG with the same conditions. My final mileage was anywhere from 24.7 to 25.6 MPG. Better than I expected.
Since when I picked up the car, it only had 4100 miles on it. I think the engine needed to be run a little and I was happy to accommodate it...

Checked the oil every other fill up. Did not burn a drop.

After driving our 2003 2.5i for the last 3 years, this car is in another league..... Totally.....

I have driven a 3.0si, Sorry. This is better.
Whether the added cost is justifiable, that is a personal issue and I will not debate that.

Driving for the first two hours, not doing anything wild, just trying to get a feel for how the car is going to react. Decided it's time. Entering the interstate on a long on-ramp, I dropped the hammer, limited myself to 7000RPM. By the time I hit the interstate, in fourth, I was doing over 120 and sorta scared myself at how fast it goes.. What a freaking animal...
A lairy beast... AND I LOVE IT.
I am use to this on the track, but I have never driven an ///M car. EVER.

Compared to our Roadster, this car feels much more solid. (I know the reasons.. 16K Nm/Id vs. 32K Nm/Id) On the Roadster, a front brace makes a difference. With the Coupe', I can't see how a front brace would help or be noticeable just driving on the street. On the track, that would be different.

The doors don't have that tinny sound when you close them. Good, solid feel.
Steering is more precise and heavier. Of course, the M steering wheel is a dream. Just so comfortable. Even after 12 hours on the road.
The ride is better. I do have non-RFT's on the Roadster (Thanks Rick)....but of course the Roadster has 69,000 miles on it.

The gear selector, in my opinion, is very notchy. Something I have to get used to. Car is stock, (except for window tints that the former owner had applied) which means that the CDV valve is installed. It sucks. (It's going away..)
I found that I could get smoother 1st to 2nd shifts by making sure the clutch is depress all the way to the floor. After that, the transmission is very smooth.

Tires: The Conti's. At best average. Good for street cruising, but on some of the few twisties I was able to grab, average. Turn-in is not sharp, and they allow the DSC to kick in to much. Of course, the average temps were around 47' on the drive back. Would be good winter tires.

The Brakes are great, but the OEM pads have to go.
The car had its 1200 mile service, and BMW did a low mileage yearly oil change in Oct. Mileage at the oil change 3800 miles.

The Specs:
2008 Z4MC Build Date: 3/15/08. In service date: 4/20/08
Alpine White. Imola Red Leather. Carbon and Extended Leather
Premium Package. No seat heaters. (Good)
-Auto-Dimming Mirrors
- Power Seats
-Cruise
- BMW Assist/BlueTooth
- Premium Hi-Fi (Wish it did not have a DSP)
Alarm pre-wiring
Rain Sensor wipers (who cares)
Aux Input (A MUST)

Picking the car up in Texas: The garage queen. Former owner in the background.

In the parking lot of the Hotel before the drive back. I had to make some power modifications for the GPS and Radar Detector.

Dirty car after 1300 miles. Just started to wash the wheels on the drivers side.

Clean Car. It was 31' out. Kinda cold to wash a car but needed to get the grime and brake dust off. Roadster in the Garage.

Now I have to scrape the Texas stickers off the windscreen.

What sucks is I have to pick up a rental and drive to CT on Monday. Won't be back in town for two or three weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Congrats!

Not sure what it is with Texas and great used car deals - it's where I got mine too.
      02-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Nice looking ride, glad you got her home safe... The lighter colors really show off the lines well.

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Congrats on the car, it looks like a very nice pick-up: good color combo, the extended leather is a rare option, and she looks to be in great shape.

As far as smoother shifts - more clutch works, but giving it more revs, 3500 or more, also helps. Coming from my 2.5i, I took a while adjusting to the way the S54 engine's preference for more revs. I tend to shift at 3500-4000 at a minimum, and it's in the zone at 5000rpm or more when you're in the meat of the torque band.

Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

My favorite color you lucky bastard

Congrats! you must feel like this

So, Is she a keeper or what?
      02-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Garage List
Haven't been on the forum for a while, nice to be back.

CONGRATS on the new Z4M!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about... I traded in my Z4 3.0si coupe back in December and upgraded to an M coupe as well! It is a completely different car and I think you highlighted the key differences perfectly. The difference is immediately noticeable. I don't think I can go back to anything other then an M car in the future!

Enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #7
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Beautiful car, ENJOY!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i & 08 M Roadster

Awesome car. Congrats
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
AW looks so sweet, congrats and I agree on the CDV, it only lasted 250 miles before it was replaced.
      02-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post

As far as smoother shifts - more clutch works, but giving it more revs, 3500 or more, also helps. Coming from my 2.5i, I took a while adjusting to the way the S54 engine's preference for more revs. I tend to shift at 3500-4000 at a minimum, and it's in the zone at 5000rpm or more when you're in the meat of the torque band.
Yep, your right. Tried that today...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Zedfor
Meinkugelschmerzen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i, B757-200

Ohhh what a lucky man he was...

ZSCCA
ZSCCA on Facebook
Appreciate 0