ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #23
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

I too have changed many sets of springs on BMWs. I have to disagree about the comments that you need an alignment. Lowering the car by one half inch will not cause a change in alignment sufficient to justify the expense. Tire wear will not be increased. In the rear, no parts are removed that would result in an alignment change, and the lowering by one half inch is insignificant. In the front, as long as the strut is replaced in the same position at the top (the upper strut mount) as it was originally, there should be a minimal increase in negative camber (which is good) and no change in front toe. Therefore an alignment after proper installation of these springs is unnecessary. If you are concerned about the expense of installation, wasting another $200 on an unnecessary alignment doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
dyerkes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i/SMG

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I'd be happy to assist you with this, and I have the tools necessary to complete the job. However, I am going out of town this weekend and won't be back until next Friday. You are more than welcome to borrow the spring compressors if you want to get started on this sooner. PM me your contact info and we can make arrangements (I live in Loudoun county as well).

Regards,
David
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #25
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep

A word of caution. Coil spring compressors are one of the more dangerous tools used in typical aftermarket parts installation. The compressed spring has stored a large amount of potential energy. If you don't use the spring compressors properly and a spring is released suddenly, serious injury could result. Please be careful and have someone show you how to do this who has experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #26
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

His springs are already plenty 'broken in'. I did that for him....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #27
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
His springs are already plenty 'broken in'. I did that for him....
True I bought the springs from vicj. I need to get wheels aligned anyway... Will BMW do this as part of the maintenance program?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #28
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep

No. You'll have to pay for it, unfortunately. And you WILL need to align the car, despite what these "experts" on a chat board are saying. Half an inch is plenty of drop to greatly effect the alignment, particularly the Camber. Since our cars already have a little extra camber in the set up, the drop will exaggerate this, greatly reducing your tire wear. Without camber plates, you won't be able to dial it all back out, but they'll be able to get close. IMO, it's worth the extra expense.

Last edited by vicj; 02-19-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
No. You'll have to pay for it, unfortunately. And you WILL need to align the car, despite what these "experts" on a chat board are saying. Half an inch is plenty of drop to greatly effect the alignment, particularly the Camber. Since our cars already have a little extra camber in the set up, the drop will exaggerate this, greatly reducing your tire wear. Without camber plates, you won't be able to dial it all back out, but they'll be able to get close. IMO, it's worth the extra expense.
Sorry but you are incorrect. I can't prove it without before and after alignment specs on the same machine, same day, with the same technician, which I'm sure isn't going to happen. So we will just have to amicably disagree. As I said earlier, if he's trying to save money on installation, he doesn't need another alignment if his car is within correct specification currently. It is possible that his car is already out of spec. It is also common to get different alignment readings on different machines and with different technicians, without changing the car at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #30
Z3Z4MC
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

It's not so much that you need an alignment to reduce uneven tire wear. There are caster, camber and toe. When you lowered a car, even half inch, one, two or all three of these will be off. If the toe is off unevenly on both side, like toe-in on one side and toe-out on the other, the car will handle like crap. If the toe is off in the rear, sometime the steering wheel will sit crooked, and so on. So, if your car handles funny or the steering is crooked after lowering the car, then YES, you need an alignment immediately.
      02-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #31
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
Sorry but you are incorrect. I can't prove it without before and after alignment specs on the same machine, same day, with the same technician, which I'm sure isn't going to happen. So we will just have to amicably disagree. As I said earlier, if he's trying to save money on installation, he doesn't need another alignment if his car is within correct specification currently. It is possible that his car is already out of spec. It is also common to get different alignment readings on different machines and with different technicians, without changing the car at all.
We can disagree on this one then. Somewhere, I have my alignment specs from when I had the alignment done after installing the Dinan springs on my car. The specs were significantly out just after install, and much better after the alignment. When I find it, I'll post it up, if I have enough posts to post pics.

Either way, a $100 alignment at a reputable BMW shop is pretty cheap insurance for your expensive tires...but that's just me....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #32
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Springs are installed! Thanks Wildng! Took longer than anticipated because the front struts need a 24mm and neither of us had one.

First impressions are that the ride quality is pretty much the same. Can't say any more than that because it's dark and the roads are frozen and have salt and gavel all over them.

More to come...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #33
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
A word of caution. Coil spring compressors are one of the more dangerous tools used in typical aftermarket parts installation. The compressed spring has stored a large amount of potential energy. If you don't use the spring compressors properly and a spring is released suddenly, serious injury could result. Please be careful and have someone show you how to do this who has experience.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings

Last edited by mousitch; 02-23-2010 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #34
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

FYI, when we took off the stock springs, we had to use a spring compressor, but we really didn't have to compress them very much. When we installed the Dinan springs, we didn't have to use the compressors, because the springs were just barely short enough that we could thread the top nut without compression.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #35
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Black Z4MC

I'm no mechanic and did my own springs installed which took me 1hr in the rear and 2hr in the front for a total of 3 hours. 5hr for a spring install is not reasonable, find another shop.
Appreciate 0