ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

18" or 19"?

Hi all,

OK, now that I have solved my exhaust dilemma, its time for me to make a decision on wheels. I am likely to go with either the VMT 710 or 718s or the Apex EC7s (though am still looking at a few others in that price range). The debate is 18" vs 19". If 19", the Apex are out as they are only in 18".

I do not want to use spacers unless I have to (though doubt I would) and definitely do not want to use camber plates...I don't like the look.

I am going to add lowering springs or coilovers (am posting separate thread on this decision in the proper forum) so am expecting 1"-1.5" lower. This is for appearance as I do not plan to do much track...maybe once or twice a year, maybe the occasional autocross. The preference here though is looks and street driving only.

My dilemma is that if I go with 18", I will likely run the Conti's on them for now but if I go to 19", it obviously means new tires at the same time. I am prepared to go this route if I must but would prefer to not lay out the cash for PSSs until later in the year if I can.

So, here are the questions:

1) Opinion only...do you feel the 19" look significantly better on our cars? If the car is lowered, would you notice much difference in appearance over 18"s?

2) Will I notice much ride difference between 18" and 19"? Forget the weight difference for now, I am aware of the effects here.

3) The important bit...What sizes, offsets, and tire sizes do I want to go with to ensure no rubbing? I was thinking 8.5" ET35s in the front, 9.5" ET22s in the back either way but want to hear from you on this. What tire sizes do I want with this combo or any other combo you may suggest.

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
the rim widths and offsets you've chosen are perfect for a streetable car. they will require zero modification as long as your tire choices are appropriate.

VMR's are heavy, but reliable and look good. APEX is race-proven and look great, but are limited to 17's and 18's. i understand you know both of these, but bring them up because i believe there is a 3rd option: sportline cs.16's.

the sportlines have a great appearance, come in 19" sizes with appropriate offsets, and are rotary forged to save weight. they are also powder-coated, which makes cleaning them super easy. of all the wheels i've had on my cars, the sportlines have been my second favorite (behind only the OE syle 313's). i highly recommend them...

especially on sepang

-eric
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

I went with VMR 18s for winter and I regret it right after I got got a steal on some 19" that is lighter than my 18s. Sold it right after my 1st hand experience. I feel the weight every single second, so with budget in mind, I would always consider lighter wheels. I do DE once a year if I have time.

With that said, how's your road condition in the area where you drive? I daily my 19s since I don't really need to leave my city 99% of the time. The ride doesn't really affect much 18 vs 19 but the weight does. However, once in a blue moon, that I drove out of my vicinity where roads are not perfect like glass (my city re-pave their road even when it doesn't need re-surface), I wish I have my 18s on. Just avoiding uneven surfaces, not even pot holes, made me not enjoying the ride especially when I'm late for meeting and what not.

I'm currently on OE suspension with pins pulled.

When you're also looking into springs or coilover in the very near future. As a rule of thumb, you should always do your suspension first before your wheels. Unless, in my case, wouldn't do my suspension until the OE craps out. So I get my wheels now and enjoy 2~3 years before I get sick of them and change them according to my suspension choices. The suspension choice will limit your wheel selection. Offset, width, etc. Depending on your budget, do you want to get the wheels and limit your suspension choice or do suspension and get wheels according to you suspension. There are more wheel choices than suspension.

This is more info than you asked for but 19 for street and look as long as the surface you're driving on is always in good condition. 18 is more well-rounded. 19s with lip will look like 18s. If you want your 18s to look bigger, choose the design with concavity with spokes extends all the way to the edge of the rim.

By the way, my VMR were 8.5 ET35 and 9.5 ET 22

just my 0.2
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
mickfo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

maybe this will help...here is my ride on a set of new 18" EC-7's...about 17 lbs less in total unsprung weight or the equivalent of approx. 140 lbs... now only for it to warm up a little so I can notice the difference in weight loss

Name:  PS resize.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  630.0 KB
      01-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

If you're going to lower the car, you're going to need camber plates to control the amount of camber unless you really want a high camber.

As well, camber plates isn't for "looks" It's proven performance.

Smaller sidewall on the 19s will increase the vibrations from the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
mickfo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

mine are ET 35 Front ET 22 Rear 8.5"/9.5" without any spacers...I will be putting TCK S/A's on it shortly and probably lower about .75" and do not expect any rubbing...don't know about 1 to 1.5" though
      01-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
the rim widths and offsets you've chosen are perfect for a streetable car. they will require zero modification as long as your tire choices are appropriate.

VMR's are heavy, but reliable and look good. APEX is race-proven and look great, but are limited to 17's and 18's. i understand you know both of these, but bring them up because i believe there is a 3rd option: sportline cs.16's.

the sportlines have a great appearance, come in 19" sizes with appropriate offsets, and are rotary forged to save weight. they are also powder-coated, which makes cleaning them super easy. of all the wheels i've had on my cars, the sportlines have been my second favorite (behind only the OE syle 313's). i highly recommend them...

especially on sepang

-eric
Any chance you can post a couple pics of your wheels? My only issue with the sportlines are the colour choice (or lack of). I really wanted anthracite or gunmetal.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The spec I'm going to go for is:

18x9 fronts ET 35 with 245 tires
18x9.5 rears et 22 with 275 tires

So that's what I'm going to recommend for you. It's the widest you can run without rubbing or issues, and you keep the relationship of rim/tire in the front of stock (which is important so that your front tires don't flex excessively reducing performance). The rears are not under so much lateral forces so you can keep the rim-width for the tire.

EC-7s are the best bang for the buck and apex is a great company. Haven't heard any complaints here or anywhere else on them.
      01-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
my thread... post #77
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
my thread... post #77
Dang, I don't know whether to thank you or be pissed for now making me rethink Anthracite/Gunmetal

Those do look really nice!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
...thank you...
you're welcome. i consider it civic duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
... or be pissed for now making me rethink Anthracite/Gunmetal
aetheticstorm has the only sepang/anthracite combo i can think of at the moment. while i really like the look, darker wheels on sepang are spoke-shape specific imo.

examples: aetheticstorm is sporting advans with a very long, narrow straight spoke. also, OE style 219's would look amazing on sepang. the straight spoke genre has a "classiness" to it that transcends only silver. obviously neon green is still a bit much, but speaking in greyscale the overall appearance of a straight spoked wheel is more elegant.

i stress this point because i consider sepang to be an elegant color. the AW, BSM, IB, TiAg, IR crowds can get away with a wider variety of colors on a wider variety of spoke designs. one of my absolute favorite color combos is a bronze wheel on a blue car. a blue wheel on a bronze car though...

the shape of the spoke hints at the purpose of the car and also the intensions of the driver. te37's in any color are proof of the driver's intention/desire to be on a track, with that car, right now. style 224's show the driver's commitment to the car's creators' work in matching function and design. 24" chrome spinnas on a non-hemi, grandma gold chrysler 300 equipped with the rattle trunk pkg... you tell me.

now, i am NOT saying that i think a gunmetal ec7 would look wrong on a sepang car, nor am i dissing anyone who has installed them on their car; i AM saying that i think that gunmetal mesh-style wheels are gorgious, but they don't play to sepang's strength in elegance.

my long-winded .02

Last edited by v3.2mc; 01-26-2013 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
you're welcome. i consider it civic duty.

aetheticstorm has the only sepang/anthracite combo i can think of at the moment. while i really like the look, darker wheels on sepang are spoke-shape specific imo.

examples: aetheticstorm is sporting advans with a very long, narrow straight spoke. also, OE style 219's would look amazing on sepang. the straight spoke genre has a "classiness" to it that transcends only silver. obviously neon green is still a bit much, but speaking in greyscale the overall appearance of a straight spoked wheel is more elegant.

i stress this point because i consider sepang to be an elegant color. the AW, BSM, IB, TiAg, IR crowds can get away with a wider variety of colors on a wider variety of spoke designs. one of my absolute favorite color combos is a bronze wheel on a blue car. a blue wheel on a bronze car though...

the shape of the spoke hints at the purpose of the car and also the intensions of the driver. te37's in any color are proof of the driver's intention/desire to be on a track, with that car, right now. style 224's show the driver's commitment to the car's creators' work in matching function and design. 24" chrome spinnas on a non-hemi, grandma gold chrysler 300 equipped with the rattle trunk pkg... you tell me.

now, i am NOT saying that i think a gunmetal ec7 would look wrong on a sepang car, nor am i dissing anyone who has installed them on their car; i AM saying that i think that gunmetal mesh-style wheels are gorgious, but they don't play to sepang's strength in elegance.

my long-winded .02
To be honest, I am on the fence (and have been for a while) with the gunmetal question. I know many folks like black rims...to be honest, I do not like them at all. I was actually briefly considering a Boxster Black Edition in 2011 and asked the dealer if I could get the car without black wheels...couldn't stand them. To me, gunmetal would be a blend of styles and statements but I do have to agree, your wheels look pretty classy!

I bought this M in Nov but had a green metallic 3.0i before that with BMW style 241 wheels. I thought they were classy as hell on that colour...

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

My opinion and advice is to go for the lightest wheel you can afford. I have the EC-7's on mine and love them, can very much feel the difference. On my previous BMW I went for a set of CSL reps that were heavy as all sin, and again, felt the decrease in performance and saw the difference in fuel economy. To me, the slight difference in looks isn't worth the drop in performance...plus here in San Francisco, 19" wheels on thin tires would be too painful!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have some 19's ForgeStars for sale with brand new Sport Pilots. Check the sale section.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #15
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

^ That's a nice alternative. 19" and light
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0