ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
bucko,

Thanks--and sorry about that nasty old Winter thing.

I don't suppose there are any gold-mining ghost towns lurking around in your part of Canada, area there? If so, your Springtime assignment is to go find them!

Rick

LOL....gold mines...not a chance....I live in the prairies...

My Provincial motto on our plates is "Land of the Living Skies"

Here are a few pictures of what I can find given about 3-4 hours each way driving.

Mostly flat bald prairie with nowhere near the history or old buildings that you can find such scenic drives such as yours. I might also add that being flat... our roads are well... straight as an arrow mostly.

Heck, it is so flat has been said you can see your dog run away for three days!

Sad considering the joy our cars find on curves!
Attached Images

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #24
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Dave,

Always good to hear from you. Interesting that you went to school for a while in a one-room schoolhouse. I sort of did, too, although it was a park field house converted to school use at the height of the baby boom to handle the huge number of students. So that probably doesn't really count.

Rick
I'll take some photos when I can get inside the one at work. You'll enjoy it. It's a time warp. The whole environment is as I remember it. Maybe cleaner!
DaveL

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #25
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newff View Post
I love your posts, amazing.
Newff,

I'm so glad that you've been enjoying them--and thanks for the feedback.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
LOL....gold mines...not a chance....I live in the prairies...

My Provincial motto on our plates is "Land of the Living Skies"

Here are a few pictures of what I can find given about 3-4 hours each way driving.

Mostly flat bald prairie with nowhere near the history or old buildings that you can find such scenic drives such as yours. I might also add that being flat... our roads are well... straight as an arrow mostly.

Heck, it is so flat has been said you can see your dog run away for three days!

Sad considering the joy our cars find on curves!
Bucko,

Well, [u]that's[\u] too bad, especially given the outstanding photos you attached. Regardless of the fact that they're designed to portray the flatness and straightness of your area, they are stunning pictures in their own right.

And I think I see someone's dog about 2 days gone...

Rick
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
I'll take some photos when I can get inside the one at work. You'll enjoy it. It's a time warp. The whole environment is as I remember it. Maybe cleaner!
DaveL
Dave,

Sounds great--I'll look forward to seeing them.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

They use the 1Room Schoolhouse to show children how they would have been taught back then...with teachers in period dress. The building was moved in, and set up. Everything was as it would have been. Really remarkable, considering it is in "rural" property with our City Hall in the background.

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #29
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Someone else's photo, from Flickr
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/ngr07/4331455554/[/img]

Britannia School House. Mississauga. I shall ask and get inside.

It is on a busy street in a busy city, but you wouldn't know it!

Inside, with thanks to the photographer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/farfalina/126369316/

more...

https://plus.google.com/photos/10038...609?banner=pwa

With thanks to the poster.

This facility is used to show today's students how they would have been taught years ago. The people that do it are retired.

I attended a 1 room school in 1959. They're gone now, except for Britannia and it has been moved to this site and restored.

Sorry for the clumsy image posts.

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 02-05-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Britannia Schoolhouse

Here's one I took during the Summer of 2011...

DSC_6634 by blacktan92, on Flickr

I haven't had an opportunity to visit inside to photograph it myself...it is a fascinating place. I hope the links above show how these schools Rick has photographed were used...they were so important to children, and so important to their families.

Rick I appreciate all your posts. This one struck a chord because I attended one myself for 6 months or so, in 1959.

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 05-17-2013 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #31
wrighthouse2012
Registered
Rep
Drives: grey dodge darango

My family built the Wright house

Dear Mr. BMW,

My name is Candi Wolfe Ludwig and my family built the Wright House you were looking for. My Husband's family bought it in the late 1960's. If you are still interested in seeing it, from a distance, I might be able to assist with that. No one can go in it, it is falling down.
I may also be able to help with that Blackberry School you were looking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #32
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Hauntings?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #33
PAFL
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

York Sulpher Springs

Just learned about your post regarding your trip to Adams County, PA. Was signing in to tell you the information I knew about the Wright House, but I see Candi already did! You can't see it from the road - it's way back off the road - kind of behind one of the one-room schoolhouses you photographed - down the road from the Latimore Valley Fairgrounds. The daughter of the family that owns it (Ludwig) was my best friend growing up. We spent many a summer day running all over the place on their farm and I remember being so curious about that place - it looked like it would have been a beautiful structure at one point in time. We always referred to it as the slave house, but it wasn't until I got older that I learned of its real value and place in our national history.

My family farm was at the top of the hill next to the old Deardorff house and mill. We lived in the house my father was born in. My father may very well have been in one of the class photos you posted of the one-room schoolhouse on Latimore Valley Road.

Don't know if Dave Worley told you or not, but the last owners of the Deardorff house and mill were Art & Mary Wolfe - you had a picture of their gravestone at the Quaker Meeting house - they both passed within the last few years. Mary was Chester Worley's daughter. I always dreamed of owning that house/farm. It's just as beautiful inside as it is outside.

I haven't lived in the area for 20 years - my parents still own our family farm on Braggtown Rd. It was a great area to grow up in - I miss it (and the people) a lot. I really enjoyed your pictorial and it brought back a lot of memories. Growing up with these things around all the time, they just become a part of day-to-day life. I always knew the history of the area, but seeing it from someone else's perspective really sheds a new light on the historical value of where I grew up. Thanks so much for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #34
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighthouse2012 View Post
Dear Mr. BMW,

My name is Candi Wolfe Ludwig and my family built the Wright House you were looking for. My Husband's family bought it in the late 1960's. If you are still interested in seeing it, from a distance, I might be able to assist with that. No one can go in it, it is falling down.
I may also be able to help with that Blackberry School you were looking for.
Candi,

Wow, thanks so much for your note and your very kind offer of assistance in getting a look at the old Wright House--and offer I will definitely take you up on! Very exciting for history wonks such as myself.

I will send you a private message through this discussion board. You should get an email message notifying you of the PM, or you can check this website for "Your Notifications" at the top of the page.

Again, thank you very much, and I'll look forward to getting a glimpse (and photo, of course!) of the place for posterity.

Rick F. (a.k.a. "Mr. BMW")
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #35
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFL View Post
Just learned about your post regarding your trip to Adams County, PA. Was signing in to tell you the information I knew about the Wright House, but I see Candi already did! You can't see it from the road - it's way back off the road - kind of behind one of the one-room schoolhouses you photographed - down the road from the Latimore Valley Fairgrounds. The daughter of the family that owns it (Ludwig) was my best friend growing up. We spent many a summer day running all over the place on their farm and I remember being so curious about that place - it looked like it would have been a beautiful structure at one point in time. We always referred to it as the slave house, but it wasn't until I got older that I learned of its real value and place in our national history.

My family farm was at the top of the hill next to the old Deardorff house and mill. We lived in the house my father was born in. My father may very well have been in one of the class photos you posted of the one-room schoolhouse on Latimore Valley Road.

Don't know if Dave Worley told you or not, but the last owners of the Deardorff house and mill were Art & Mary Wolfe - you had a picture of their gravestone at the Quaker Meeting house - they both passed within the last few years. Mary was Chester Worley's daughter. I always dreamed of owning that house/farm. It's just as beautiful inside as it is outside.

I haven't lived in the area for 20 years - my parents still own our family farm on Braggtown Rd. It was a great area to grow up in - I miss it (and the people) a lot. I really enjoyed your pictorial and it brought back a lot of memories. Growing up with these things around all the time, they just become a part of day-to-day life. I always knew the history of the area, but seeing it from someone else's perspective really sheds a new light on the historical value of where I grew up. Thanks so much for sharing!
PAFL,

From the photos on Dave Worley's website, it looks like the Wright House was indeed quite a place. It's a shame that it can't be restored, given its historical significance, but I'm really pleased that with Candi's help I might be able to get a look at it.

I didn't know the connection between Arthur and Mary Worley Wolfe and the Deardorff home--thanks for mentioning it. I gather that sorting out the Adams County Family Tree would take quite a lot of time!

I spotted your parents' farm on Google Maps (it's pretty hard to miss, after all), but I still have no idea exactly where the Wright House is. Before and after my trip, I spent a lot of time searching the "satellite view" looking for it. It's got to be near Wright Road--but I'll take advantage of Candi's offer.

I'm very glad that you enjoyed the trip report and that it brought back pleasant memories for you. I hope you get back to this area once in a while.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #36
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Old Britannia Schoolhouse--SS # 12, Township of Toronto (1852-1959)

DSC_6638 by blacktan92, on Flickr

DSC_6634 by blacktan92, on Flickr

DSC_6636 by blacktan92, on Flickr

This is a working school, used to show today's students how they would have been taught during this period. It's in Mississauga, Ontario near where I work. Students spend a day there, some dress as they would have done. It's an incredible learning experience.

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 05-16-2013 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #37
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Here'a the Arbour:

DSC_0599 by blacktan92, on Flickr

_DSC0622 by blacktan92, on Flickr

This is the entrance to Britannia School from the School Board property.

Look carefully: you can see the teacher in the window! I took a few photos, and returned later when students were outside.

My goal was to get into the School and photograph it.

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 05-16-2013 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #38
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Here's another view of Britannia School while I waited...

_DSC0610 by blacktan92, on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #39
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

I returned later; kids were playing outside supervised by their Teacher.

This was the view as I entered.

_DSC0612 by blacktan92, on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #40
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

At the entrance looking right (North)

_DSC0614 by blacktan92, on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

At the entrance looking left (South)

_DSC0615 by blacktan92, on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #42
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Further left...

_DSC0616 by blacktan92, on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #43
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Leaving---looking towards the entrance (East)

_DSC0617 by blacktan92, on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #44
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Walking back to my office, I talked to students and the Teachers there. They were dressed as they would have been about 1900 or so....

As I left, I turned back and took this photo...Teachers and students behind the school. Lunch time...recess?

_DSC0621 by blacktan92, on Flickr

Appreciate 0