ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #45
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder z4m View Post
AJW,

As a GTS Owner, I can attest to your comments. The speed is sublime and is effortless to attain both in straightaways and in corners. The problem it that the GTS is too much car for public roads. I love the style and unique aspects of the car (highest HP MT 991 with rear seats, CL wheels, wider hips) but may have to acquiesce to the M for driving enjoyment on public roads given the need to work for speed. The GTS is really an amazing car and a keeper though

Todd
Perfect combo! If I thought I could keep two cars, the Z4M would have been turned into a track car and I'd be shopping for a 991 GTS. The X51 3.8 feels like a small V8 and is such a great GT car compared to the Z4M.

The aftermarket support for modern Porsches is amazing compared to the Z4M. The GT4 was only just released and there are already a dozen different bolt in harness bars available and Schroth even makes a GT3 specific 6pt harness with eyelets that bolt right onto the OEM seat frames. It must be because the Porsche tax is so sweet - $3k for headers!? Seriously?!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 05:05 AM   #46
Boulder z4m
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC,'64Vette,'16 991 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
you sir with the 991GTS, Z4mcoupe and C2 have pretty much my dream collection
Thank you Baege - I consider it my 'art' collection. The C2 is an heirloom that I recently restored to NCRS specs - Its been in the family for 52 years and I was brought home from the hospital in that car in 1970. The M and GTS are rotated mood dependent - They are completely different machines and one would not replace the other. Having spent some time in 997's, the similarities and begin to merge. The 991 is truly more of a GT car and the M is your mistress in leather.

Love the GTS. Sharkwerks center section?

But that's the thing isn't it--once you move past a certain level there's only so much you can do on a public road. I'll just say I agree and when it comes to pure driving enjoyment (without possible jail time) the M is just about right. There are better cars, faster cars, but the M is just a very fun (and demanding, in a good way) car.

Finnegan, Its the OEM spoiler. As an FYI it's clearance is on par with the Z4M and the same precautions need to be taken.

- the M will keep you from jail indeed.

Perfect combo! If I thought I could keep two cars, the Z4M would have been turned into a track car and I'd be shopping for a 991 GTS. The X51 3.8 feels like a small V8 and is such a great GT car compared to the Z4M.

The aftermarket support for modern Porsches is amazing compared to the Z4M. The GT4 was only just released and there are already a dozen different bolt in harness bars available and Schroth even makes a GT3 specific 6pt harness with eyelets that bolt right onto the OEM seat frames. It must be because the Porsche tax is so sweet - $3k for headers!? Seriously?!

AJW,

Due to my travels and career, the M only has 12K miles on it and I cannot bear turning it into track car now. In time I will look for a 3-series, Zcoupe 996/997 variant to flog on a track.

The 3.8 is indeed a beast. I'm at altitude and can only imagine how alive the car would be at sea level.

-Todd
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #47
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
I've been looking at the '15 Cayman GTS and loaded Cayman S' a lot lately, but still need a year or two until they depreciate enough for my liking. My '05 Z4 is flawless and literally looks as good (or better) than it did on the showroom floor, but it's worth $12k at best now. Shelling out an additional $65k for a used GTS just doesn't seem practical for me when the car will only be driven 6-7 months a year as a weekend/fun car.

My daily driver is a '13 CLS63 AMG.
      03-22-2016, 02:04 AM   #48
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder z4m View Post

Love the GTS. Sharkwerks center section?

But that's the thing isn't it--once you move past a certain level there's only so much you can do on a public road. I'll just say I agree and when it comes to pure driving enjoyment (without possible jail time) the M is just about right. There are better cars, faster cars, but the M is just a very fun (and demanding, in a good way) car.

Finnegan, Its the OEM spoiler. As an FYI it's clearance is on par with the Z4M and the same precautions need to be taken.

- the M will keep you from jail indeed.
Got that it's the spoiler. Thought maybe Sharkwerks had a center muffler delete for the 991 GTS like they did for the 997.2 (even with PSE). The combo was incredible with zero drone. Looked at the options for the 99 GTS and it's not a recommended option for the 991 PSE, which probably means they got the exhaust just right out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #49
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasupdu View Post
I've been looking at the '15 Cayman GTS and loaded Cayman S' a lot lately, but still need a year or two until they depreciate enough for my liking. My '05 Z4 is flawless and literally looks as good (or better) than it did on the showroom floor, but it's worth $12k at best now. Shelling out an additional $65k for a used GTS just doesn't seem practical for me when the car will only be driven 6-7 months a year as a weekend/fun car.

Try Canada where just a base model Z4 28i (4 cylinder) with a few options packages added is a whopping $68K.

YIPES!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #50
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasupdu View Post

Try Canada where just a base model Z4 28i (4 cylinder) with a few options packages added is a whopping $68K.

YIPES!!
WHAT!!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #51
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
WHAT!!!!

Sad, but true.

I was picking up my key to the wife's 328 on Saturday afternoon when one of the very friendly service techs at the dealer spotted me and pointed out the 2016 Z4 in their garage. I confess that it was quite the looker with the M-Sport package, larger rims, estoril blue and red leather interior. The tech half joked that I'd definitely get a good trade for my car - so he could buy it. So, just for a laugh, I called our sales guy on Monday. After all, my car while low mileage, is approaching ten years old, and the 240 hp turbo 4 in the wife's 328 is surprisingly gutsy. So, expecting an MSRP of $50-something, I dialed the dealership. Imagine my shock when the sales guy told me that the MSRP was $Cdn 68,000. Even with some potential discounts, its a relative fortune.

Contrast this with a low mileage 2013 Z4 35i from a Toronto dealer for $39k - in the color I like, good shape and with the options I'd want. Selling mine privately and cashing in some savings practically puts me in the driver's seat of that car and owning it outright.

So, drive a competent (yet not a 6 cylinder) brand new 4 pot and owe a fortune - versus outright ownership and a sweet 300 hp inline 6. Tough decision there - not.

Of course, I'll likely keep the E85 for a while yet as I've still got lots of love for the car. And particularly as the wife is eyeing a kitchen renovation this year. Cursed HGTV LOL!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 03-22-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #52
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
WHAT!!!!

Sad, but true.

I was picking up my key to the wife's 328 on Saturday afternoon when one of the very friendly service techs at the dealer spotted me and pointed out the 2016 Z4 in their garage. I confess that it was quite the looker with the M-Sport package, larger rims, estoril blue and red leather interior. The tech half joked that I'd definitely get a good trade for my car - so he could buy it. So, just for a laugh, I called our sales guy on Monday. After all, my car while low mileage, is approaching ten years old, and the 240 hp turbo 4 in the wife's 328 is surprisingly gutsy. So, expecting an MSRP of $50-something, I dialed the dealership. Imagine my shock when the sales guy told me that the MSRP was $Cdn 68,000. Even with some potential discounts, its a relative fortune.

Contrast this with a low mileage 2013 Z4 35i from a Toronto dealer for $39k - in the color I like, good shape and with the options I'd want. Selling mine privately and cashing in some savings practically puts me in the driver's seat of that car and owning it outright.

So, drive a competent (yet not a 6 cylinder) brand new 4 pot and owe a fortune - versus outright ownership and a sweet 300 hp inline 6. Tough decision there - not.

Of course, I'll likely keep the E85 for a while yet as I've still got lots of love for the car. And particularly as the wife is eyeing a kitchen renovation this year. Cursed HGTV LOL!!
Smart move on the pre-depreciated car with the inline 6.

Costs though. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #53
ajw45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

So true! Went car shopping with a buddy to check out what's new and decently optioned 328s are over $40k. Crazily, that actually seemed like a great deal compared to the new Audi A4 with a turbo 4 for over $50k!

Meanwhile, in the parking lot of the BMW dealership there was a steady stream of service techs coming out to check out the Z4Mc
Appreciate 0