ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Z4M_LEV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 750i, F30, Q50S, VW

Navi/Central Display unit delete

NOTE : MY NAVI UNIT WORKS!! NOTHING IS WRONG, I'M ONLY DOING THE DELETE BECAUSE I'M STRIPPING THE CAR FREE OF AUDIO/AC/PANELS ETC. (Track car build) SO I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF PUTTING IN ANY SORT OF TABLET ETC.

Hey guys, has anyone removed their Navi/Central Display unit? I'm going to remove mine and was wondering if there is a plate or some kind of cover available to cover the whole it will leave behind. Or if someone has built their own, I'd love to see some ideas on what can be done.

-Cheers

PS: All my Audio/Navi parts in the car are for sale!! Let me know if you need them, if I still have it I will happily sell it to you for a bargain since my cars turning into a racecar. Thanks!!

Last edited by Z4M_LEV; 11-17-2015 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Why don't you remove just the display unit and leave the plastic casing in its place? You can even have a shop wire and fiberglass a tablet in there to display digital gauges.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Z4M_LEV
Banned
United_States
Rep

Good idea! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Why don't you remove just the display unit and leave the plastic casing in its place? You can even have a shop wire and fiberglass a tablet in there to display digital gauges.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Maybe fiberglass isn't even necessary for a good fit. I found these on youtube. One is an IPad and the other looks like a Nexus tablet or something similar.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
Z4M_LEV
Banned
United_States
Rep

Looks good! Thanks bro

Quote:
Maybe fiberglass isn't even necessary for a good fit. I found these on youtube. One is an IPad and the other looks like a Nexus tablet or something similar.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

yeah mate, obd2 BT straight to Torque app, and your sorted, that combined with Harries lap timer…
      11-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:

Wow, seeing these almost makes me wish I had got a car sans navi!

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Wow, seeing these almost makes me wish I had got a car sans navi!
What's wrong w/these retrofits? Doesn't look OEM, hence too cheesy/ricer? It's something all of us with navi will need to deal with one of these days when something stops working.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

If my head unit or amp ever goes Tango Uniform, I'll be ripping out the whole shebang and doing something like this.
      11-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's wrong w/these retrofits? Doesn't look OEM, hence too cheesy/ricer? It's something all of us with navi will need to deal with one of these days when something stops working.
Oh I mean, I wish I almost wish I got a car without navi so I could install one of these! I love the idea and couple it with digital gauge apps, I think it's a great idea. My problem is I feel too bad yanking out a fully functioning nav system for this. If going this route one would also lose the ability to adjust the details on their stereo, see what radio station is playing, etc. Maybe there's a way to run this with a tablet but that's something I have no clue about.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #11
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh I mean, I wish I almost wish I got a car without navi so I could install one of these! I love the idea and couple it with digital gauge apps, I think it's a great idea. My problem is I feel too bad yanking out a fully functioning nav system for this. If going this route one would also lose the ability to adjust the details on their stereo, see what radio station is playing, etc. Maybe there's a way to run this with a tablet but that's something I have no clue about.
I have navi, but I still want to do something like this. I thought it's be great to have a car with navi but I find myself just using a magnetic vent clip phone mount with Google Maps or Waze instead. If you didn't have navi it would probably be harder to cut into your dashboard to do this. Once your navi goes kaput then the decision will be easier. Good point about the radio station, system settings, etc. I wonder how we will change those without the navi screen. Actually, how do other Z4 owners without a screen see their settings?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have navi, but I still want to do something like this. I thought it's be great to have a car with navi but I find myself just using a magnetic vent clip phone mount with Google Maps or Waze instead. If you didn't have navi it would probably be harder to cut into your dashboard to do this. Once your navi goes kaput then the decision will be easier. Good point about the radio station, system settings, etc. I wonder how we will change those without the navi screen. Actually, how do other Z4 owners without a screen see their settings?
If car had no nav it could be as easy as swapping dashes and picking up the motor/cover from someone like Lev. I recall somebody integrating something into the OEM nav screen that acted as digital gauges but would have to look for the thread, that's probably the best bet.

Non-navi cars have an LCD screen:

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If car had no nav it could be as easy as swapping dashes and picking up the motor/cover from someone like Lev. I recall somebody integrating something into the OEM nav screen that acted as digital gauges but would have to look for the thread, that's probably the best bet.

Non-navi cars have an LCD screen:
Wow, is that your car? Extended leather on the M goes around the radio and middle console around the sport button too? I have extended leather on a non-M and I only have brushed aluminum in those 2 spots!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:10 AM   #14
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Navi six hard, most useless piece of equipment I've ever had to deal with, and i am coming from bare gps with just lat n long… ok granted, this /is/ better, but not much..

ill be doing this when i get some time and finish off my car..

looks awesome,, and super functional..