ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Tire Recommendations/TPMS question

OK, I have read through the thread on non-RFT tires and do see a couple using the Conti DWSs, but I wanted to start a thread that covers two questions...

1) For those that have switched to non RFT tires, what tires do you LOVE. Not too worried about the price point, yet.

2) Is there anything involved with the TPMS system when switching to non-RFT tires like removing components, disabling anything, etc?

Thanks

BTW, its for my '08 Z4 3.0i with sport package so currently running 225/40/R18 in the front and 255/35/R18 in the back.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

I am one of the DWS crowd...I selected them because I am living in the Pacific North West and I wanted an all season tire in order to use the car all year (we get a lot of rain in Winter). Others that wanted all season tires have recommended these as a very good tire for this purpose. If I was tracking the car I would consider other options. My wife commented immediately on how much smoother the ride was...don't feel all the ruts anymore.

If you want all season street tires then I highly recommend the DWS tires. As far as I am concerned they handle and grip significantly better than the RE050s I took off the car. The RE050 Run Flats transformed into hockey pucks below 45 F and rode like wooden wagon wheels in ruts on the Oregon Trail.

The TPMS is not dependent on RFT's and will work with any tire. It is important that the people installing the tires know about the TPMS and how to mount tires without damaging the sensors.

BTW: I have a 2004 3.0i with the Sport package running the same size tires as you. I bought the tires at Discount Tire in Washington State and had them mounted locally in Canada. Saved me about 50% over buying them from a local tire dealer in Canada and I was able to sell my run flats locally too (there is a good market for used run flats)

Last edited by Stromtech; 06-05-2012 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Michelin PSS!

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
Michelin PSS!
Yeah, so far the PSS's look pretty darned good. Was checking them out last night on Tire Rack.

I should also mention, while I do live in southwestern Ontario and we do get snow, I don't plan to drive the car in the winter so I am more interested in awesome spring/winter/fall grip.

strom: Thanks for the info on TPMS...I had not realized it was independent of RFTs...not sure why I never thought of that. When you brought the tires back, aside from tax, did you need to pay any duties? How did you wind up selling your old RFTs? My fronts are brand new (dealer installed them when I bought it in April), rears are maybe at 60-70%. They are the RE050s.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Mike,

You really need to take a close hard look at HOW you drive. IF, you always drive your car HARD, close to the edge, always looking for that last bit if performance, then any of the Ultra High Performance Summer tires will fit the bill. PSS's, Startechs, NT05's etc etc etc.

If you don't push your car hard at all, but just want bragging rights, then the above is what you want.

If you don't push your car hard and don't need to spend a lot of money unnecessarily, then some of the lower priced High Performance tires will fit you well. I have Kumho Exctas on my wife's Roadster and they work well.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Mike,

You really need to take a close hard look at HOW you drive. IF, you always drive your car HARD, close to the edge, always looking for that last bit if performance, then any of the Ultra High Performance Summer tires will fit the bill. PSS's, Startechs, NT05's etc etc etc.

If you don't push your car hard at all, but just want bragging rights, then the above is what you want.

If you don't push your car hard and don't need to spend a lot of money unnecessarily, then some of the lower priced High Performance tires will fit you well. I have Kumho Exctas on my wife's Roadster and they work well.
Thanks Shipkiller...

I would say that it is unlikely I will track the car (its only an i anyway), maybe try an autocross day or something like that at some point. I do drive it pretty hard around town and out in the country though. My favourite is the roundabouts we have here...love to hit them at higher speeds. The stock tires are too rough and I can feel they are at the edge when I take the roundabouts or other high speed cornering out in the country. For me, its about cornering grip.

I know folks had said the PSS's are expensive but I really don't find that's the case, at least not excessively. The price on them at Tire Rack is not much more than what I paid for a decent set of all seasons for my '10 Ford Edge last summer.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Non-RFTs are going to offer some advantages, but there are the price/use trade-offs Ship noted based on driving style. Another thing to factor is are alignment settings. In addition to tires, alignment has a big impact on handling.

When you say you can feel the tires/car on edge, what are you experiencing? What does it feel like?

Do you know where your alignment is set now (and how long has it been since you're had an alignment)?

Stock alignment on the 3.0 is, I believe:

Front Camber = -0.5 deg to -1.4 deg (fairly wide range)
Front Toe = +0.05 deg to +0.18 deg (toe in)

Rear Camber = -2.6 deg to -3.1 deg
Rear Toe = +0.17 deg to +0.37 deg (toe in)

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-05-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Thanks Shipkiller...

its only an i anyway........
Please don't feel like the 3.0i is sup-par car. It may not be an ///M but it is still a great car with a lot of capabilities....

Since you like to do the twisty stuff here is what I like. Take it for what it is worth.

If you want a great all around tire that is really good for grip and absolutely fabulous in the wet, then its the Continental ExtreamContact DW. I don't mean the DWS which is a three season tire but the DW. If you plan on having your tire 'do it all' the DW almost can't be beat. I ran the DW before I switched to the NT05's on the ///M. I really, really like them. The only reason I switched is because the NT05's were $400 cheaper and had a little better dry grip. I don't drive my car in the rain unless I have to..

The PSS's are probably 'the' top of the line tire but there is a cost associated with them.

A lot of the Autocross crowd likes the Dunlop Starspec's. I have not run them but it's a very good tire.

My personal guideline is to get a tire that will do everything you want to do at the cheapest cost. That way you have more money for any mod's you want to do later.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Yeah, so far the PSS's look pretty darned good. Was checking them out last night on Tire Rack.

I should also mention, while I do live in southwestern Ontario and we do get snow, I don't plan to drive the car in the winter so I am more interested in awesome spring/winter/fall grip.

strom: Thanks for the info on TPMS...I had not realized it was independent of RFTs...not sure why I never thought of that. When you brought the tires back, aside from tax, did you need to pay any duties? How did you wind up selling your old RFTs? My fronts are brand new (dealer installed them when I bought it in April), rears are maybe at 60-70%. They are the RE050s.
I brought the tires back using the duty free limit between my wife and I. The new limit is $800 duty free each after 48 hours. Just have your wife buy 2 and you buy 2. The same set locally was quoted twice what I paid in the USA so in essence we had a free holiday and saved money too. I sold the RFTs with about 75% left on Craigslist for $450 for the set. There was a lot of interest and they went within a week. If yours are newer they will likely fetch more.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
flyzipper
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Garage List
Mike, I didn't have runflats on my M, but installed PSS this spring and they've been great so far.

Also, let me know if you need TPMS ... I mistakenly bought a set for my new wheels, but apparently my '08 M uses the ABS sensors to determine pressure variances. They're still in boxes and I even have black valve sleeves if you'll be using them with black wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Flyzipper.

I am a little confused. Are you saying that on your 08 do don't have the TPMS sensors in the wheels and do not have the error indication?

The MY 06 and I think the 07 (not sure on 07's) used the older ABS system for determining tire pressures. The 08's use TPMS. My 08 does.........
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
flyzipper
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Garage List
That's what I discovered when the shop swapped my OEM wheels for the new set. No TPMS sensors in either, and no error indication. I had ordered TPMS through Turner for the 2nd set of wheels, and their compatibility function said I needed them for the 08, but apparently not.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...nsor-tpms.aspx

Maybe it's a Canadian thing? Even though they were made in the same US facility, mine's a version that was built for the Canadian market.

Last edited by flyzipper; 06-05-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzipper View Post
Maybe it's a Canadian thing? Even though they were made in the same US facility, mine's a version that was built for the Canadian market.
That could be it. Who knows..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
If you want a great all around tire that is really good for grip and absolutely fabulous in the wet, then its the Continental ExtreamContact DW. I don't mean the DWS which is a three season tire but the DW. If you plan on having your tire 'do it all' the DW almost can't be beat. I ran the DW before I switched to the NT05's on the ///M. I really, really like them. The only reason I switched is because the NT05's were $400 cheaper and had a little better dry grip. I don't drive my car in the rain unless I have to..
Thanks again Ship.

I took a look at those on Tire Rack and they do indeed get a great rating. Looks like they are about $240 cheaper than the PSS's. I will take a closer look at those.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Another thing to factor is are alignment settings. In addition to tires, alignment has a big impact on handling.

When you say you can feel the tires/car on edge, what are you experiencing? What does it feel like?
When I hit the roundabouts fast, at first I almost thought it was a wheel bearing but I am convinced its just the tire about to lose grip. Not sure how to really describe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Do you know where your alignment is set now (and how long has it been since you're had an alignment)?
No idea...bought the car in April and have not checked it yet.

Thanks for the input...I will be sure to keep those numbers handy.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strom View Post
I brought the tires back using the duty free limit between my wife and I. The new limit is $800 duty free each after 48 hours. Just have your wife buy 2 and you buy 2. The same set locally was quoted twice what I paid in the USA so in essence we had a free holiday and saved money too. I sold the RFTs with about 75% left on Craigslist for $450 for the set. There was a lot of interest and they went within a week. If yours are newer they will likely fetch more.
Thanks Strom.

Yeah, that's what I am planning...we are spending the August long weekend in Michigan so will bring them back then. I can get the PSS's for under a grand at Tire Rack...had a quote from crappy tire today...$1,800!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzipper View Post
That's what I discovered when the shop swapped my OEM wheels for the new set. No TPMS sensors in either, and no error indication. I had ordered TPMS through Turner for the 2nd set of wheels, and their compatibility function said I needed them for the 08, but apparently not.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12...nsor-tpms.aspx

It's definitely not a Canadian market thing.
We had exactly the same setup as US cars.
'06 using ABS & '07+ using TPMS.

If yours wasn't tripping, someone found a work around.

I know on some cars, guys were putting the TPMS in a sealed canister with an air valve filled to 32lbs.
Put the canister in the trunk and no more TPMS alarm.
...doesn't work for all cars though.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...pipe-bomb.html
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We would need four of those things or put all four TPMS sensors inside.
It's a good idea, for them. I am not sure about on a BMW. Since there are four separate antenna's, one for each wheel, then the range of the devices must be only inches (> 36") or you would have mutual interference from the other sensors.
Appreciate 0