ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
New fronts, Older rears. Can I pull it off?

I bought two new rear Michelin SS's two years ago and replaced my Pilots Sports on the rear as they were badly worn. Left on the front Pilot Sports because they had a lot of good life left. So, I Just picked up a full set of SS's for a good price and was only going to replace the original front Pilots Sports as to have SS all around. Didn't even think of the front vs new thing and our staggered setups.

With only two years and 5200 miles on the rears will this be a horrible thing to do? Id rather not throw on my new rear set just yet because the older ones have more than 1/2 their tread left.

Just throw on both new F&R and when I need rears throw on the older set that I have on now?

Thanks for helping with a confusing question. Its been a long day at work.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You'll be fine.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
m5m3mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-B C63

I drive more than 30k miles a year split between three cars, so I'd leave the rears on and wear them out first. You average 2,600 miles year on this car? Put the new rears on and enjoy them.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5m3mc View Post
I drive more than 30k miles a year split between three cars, so I'd leave the rears on and wear them out first. You average 2,600 miles year on this car? Put the new rears on and enjoy them.
Yep. Work pays for the pickemup, have a 2012 WRX for everyday play. Then Z4M for playtime. No rain, no snow, just hauling the mail. Might just slap them on, when the rears wear out before the fronts(which they will) Ill slap the older ones on. . Now I just need my DKF pipe.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0