ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #23
rmousir
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, it's been a few weeks. What is the oil sensor reading now?
Howdy.. Thanks for following up..

Well after a couple weeks and a 180 mile trip the sensor still says error..

I ordered my schwaben scanner like I mentioned before.. with the car running I can delete the code.. and then the oil says OK.. great right? well after a short moment or two, it goes back to error..

so some where in there something isn't right...

To add my idle is still acting up..

I will say that other than that, the car runs great.. I hope to sort these out.

What I'm trying to figure out, with my scanner, is when there is a code, to find the part that is throwing the code so I can replace it.. I don't think my scanner does that, does it? I'm still learning how to use the scanner.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #24
rmousir
Private
Rep

I read this on a forum regarding the idle issue....

Ok, fixed it! I took the ICV and cleaned it. However, I honestly believe it was the Throttle ECU. To reset insert key and turn to position 2 for 10 seconds, then off for 10 seconds then fire up the car. I didn't test them independently, but I'm leaning more toward the Throttle ECU needing a reset.

does this actually do anything? I'll give it a try since I don't see the harm. I didn't have any issues until the batter was dead and i pulled it out for a week while I waited for my new alternator. Could it just be a reset like what I posted?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #25
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Pretty sure that resets the throttle adaptation.
Seems worth a try.

What could possibly go wrong?
      05-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #26
rmousir
Private
Rep

Alrighty.. Still have a idle issue.

The kicker is the car had a great idle before I swapped out my alternator. Now I can't blame the new alternator because I swapped out the new alternator for another new alternator when the oil sensor stopped working. So like I said, the idle was great and then I swapped the alternator and it sucked.

I did clean the MAF twice. I was hoping I'd see a improvement but no such luck.

I also did a complete check tonight for vacuum leaks to be sure I'm in good shape and that appears to be good!

So tonight I have been using my Schwaben Scanner and I ran it tonight. I'm learning how to use it and I believe I have it figured out.

First car runs great! Only two issues.

1-Idle, at a light or in park, the car idles up and down. According to what I've read it should be at 700 solid, and it bounced up and down and up and down. This is what is irritating me so much.

2-The oil sensor is not reading the level of the oil.

Now when I run the Auto Scan on my cool little scanner, I get a 'Engine-DME Digital Motor Electronics' Fault 3. Everything else on the car checks out. So the three faults are:
-2E84/present - DME: Electric coolant pump communication
-2E9F/present - DME: Oil condition senso
-2E7C/not present - DME: Bit-serial data interface, signal

So the faults listed, don't have anything to do with the idle. I also know that the Oil sensor is a issue. I'm not sure what to think about that. I suspect it is bad but I don't know for sure.

So after having a battery that wouldn't stay charged I swapped out the alternator, then another new alternator. now my car won't idle correctly. I've checked vacuum leaks and cleaned the maf twice. I've ran several scans in hopes of finding a idle code and nothing there. The codes I do get aren't concerning at this time. tonight I'm leaving the battery unhooked in hopes that something can maybe reset but I'm doubtful it will do any good. I figured it would not hurt. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #27
loud1337
Registered
Rep

Hate digging up a old thread but did you every find a solution?

I don't quite have a rough idle but I have been getting Oil Errors. I am currently awaiting the electrical schematics to start troubleshooting wiring because I have replaced every component I can think of.
  • Alternator
  • Voltage Regulator (On Alternator)
  • Oil Sensor
  • Plugs and Connections look clean into Alternator and Oil Sensor

I just did an oil change and my sensor seem to bounce between OK 2 Bars and OK Full when idling parked but when I take it for a drive, the Error Oil status comes back. I have the same Error codes as you but no Engine light.
Appreciate 0