ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
@boondocksaint: Tons of great info, thanks! If you had to chose one tire to recommend (or two one for street one for track) what would they be for the official list?
If you put a gun to my head and told me to pick one, I'd run the RE-11s street and track. Assuming I wasn't going to be driving in wintery conditions, of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #24
cgroppi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

As far as autocrossers are concerned, the street tires to beat these days are the Hankook RS3 (the current #1 for most people), the Toyo R1R (works best in cold weather, but would probably overheat in a heartbeat on a real track). Many people also run Bridgestone RE-11s and the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Starspec. These are the "old standby" tires. The Hankook and the Toyo are definitely the "hot" tires now.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #25
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroppi View Post
As far as autocrossers are concerned, the street tires to beat these days are the Hankook RS3 (the current #1 for most people), the Toyo R1R (works best in cold weather, but would probably overheat in a heartbeat on a real track). Many people also run Bridgestone RE-11s and the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Starspec. These are the "old standby" tires. The Hankook and the Toyo are definitely the "hot" tires now.
I have a set of 224s sitting in the garage.

Going 235 front and 265 rear for RS3s on stock suspension, stock wheels a safe play? I can't wait to run on them, they are so sticky
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #26
cgroppi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I have a set of 224s sitting in the garage.

Going 235 front and 265 rear for RS3s on stock suspension, stock wheels a safe play? I can't wait to run on them, they are so sticky
I would recommend something as square as possible for autocross. On the stock wheels I'd go with 245/265. Even that is probably still going to push with stock suspension.

When I finally wear out the piece of crap contis, I will likely replace them with 245/265 RS3s, so I have some street tires to autox on when I'm out of Hoosiers.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #27
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
@gatorfast: Thanks! Put you down for the V12s for street use.

@claymore: Put you down for Re-11s for track use. Tire rack does have the fronts but not the rears in stock size. Then again many people get wider tires for track.

@onelove: I put your track vote as the NT01s. For street, do you want to make your vote the NT05s or the PSS? You can always vote for one and change your vote later (I'm putting PSSs on my zed soon, so my vote may change after I've had them for a while).
NT01 Track / PSS street
      07-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #28
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroppi View Post
I would recommend something as square as possible for autocross. On the stock wheels I'd go with 245/265. Even that is probably still going to push with stock suspension.

When I finally wear out the piece of crap contis, I will likely replace them with 245/265 RS3s, so I have some street tires to autox on when I'm out of Hoosiers.
I've driven the RS-3 in 265/285 on our E92 M3 and must admit I was quite impressed with the grip they provide at lower operating temperatures. Haven't gotten to test them out on track yet though.
      07-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #29
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

The RS3s come in very few sizes...
      07-11-2011, 02:57 AM   #30
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

@boondockstaint: Thanks put you down RE-11 for both street and track.

@onelove: Thanks! put you down for NT01 track, PSS street.

@cgroppi: if you had to chose just one tire for street and one for track what would you choose?

Keep them coming guys! You can vote up to twice, once for a street tire and once for a track tire. I'll keep the spreadsheet in the first post updated with your choices. The more people chime in, the more complete the list will be.
      07-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #31
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...er-sport-tires
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #32
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

I had KDW's on when I bought my current wheels. I tracked (first time ever) with them and they felt good until maybe the third session. It felt like they kind of gave out. IDK if *I* was doing something different or what, but I didn't care for them. PLus they were VERY loud and considering I had to drive 3 1/2 hours just to get TO the track, that matters. The sizes were:

F: 225/35 18
R: 275/40 18

IDK if they were proper sizes and maybe that had something to do with some slipping once they got hotter but I personnaly didn't care for it. Especially since it was my frirst time tracking this car.

I rode them out until early april and bought a set of Hankook V12's for numerous reasons.

Sizes:
F: 245/45 18

Was going to MFest and driving to was 1100+ miles. Then track. Then drive back. so comfort was a large consideration for my purchase choice. I went with the V12's for price and performance (for price) form what I've read. Since I don't track often enough, getting Star Specs or something like that (though I wanted them!) was out of the question. Higher profile might have hurt the performance a little, but since it was only my second track session I honestly didn't feel much difference, in speeds and grip. I went that high because I had 3K trip to and from and it is my DD. Road noise was WAY down compared to both Contis and KDWs, but was still there. nothing that couldn't be tuned out by increasing music volume a couple turns.

on track compared with KDWs I did notice I was able to through turns faster. MAYBE it was me being a little more confortable with the car, a different track, or whatever but I noticed it.

I've probably forgotten to mention a few things, but for now that's my story. For the price you can't beat the V12s.
      07-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #33
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Car started out with Continental ContiSportContacts, and I must be the ONLY person in the universe that loved them. They're surprisingly grippy when you can get enough heat into them. I remember fondly chasing down a student who's now moved on to club racing and doing so VERY successfully on the national stage, and she had a Mister 2 with heavily modified engine and R-Comps (putting more power to the wheels than my car, mind you). I remember after that particular session, coming back into the pits and the Conti's were literally melting off of the tire carcass. It got so soft and gummy that you can press a finger onto the tread and it'll leave an impression. They were reasonable on the street, nothing to brag about, and it takes a lot of heat into the tires to get them grippy, but grip they do and do it well. What I really liked about them, is that they seem to take to heat on the track surprisingly well for a street tire.

Then the Contis were retired for a set of Toyo R1-Rs which were the exclusive tires on the car for more than 1.5 years, during a time which I would go to as many as 20 days a year on the track. When I first got them, I thought they were phenomenal. I mean, they're just barely comfortable enough for street use and they're more than competent on the track. The only problem I had with them is that the rears only come in 265/35/18, which isn't ideal...I'd like to run 245F/275R for this chassis. Then the more I drive on it, the more "issues" I'd find with it. Part of it is toward the end of their useful life, since they truly do double duty as street AND track tires, they got heat cycled out before the tread is gone. The last few events I did on the tire seems to have a lot of strange rear "squirmi-ness" and the tires just does not seem as fast as it used to be, and the drop off is quite big. It went from very close to lower end R-Comp grip to marginally better than a very good summer tire. Then again, 1.5 years of street driving and 20+ track days can do that to just about any tire, I suppose.

So I permanently "retired" the R1-R to street use only and bought a set of Nitto NT-01. Well, just the fronts. The rears were scrubs purchased from a friend who runs a E46 M3 in club racing, and he runs 275/35/18s all around. Since he's got a Nitto sponsorship he'd often run two sets at most races, one for qualifying and one for race, and the qualifying tires he'd throw away once they're starting to show some drop off in performance. While they'd still be good for DE use for up to about 5-10 more events, they're no good for qualifying. So I pick up a new set of front 245/40/18 NT-01s and bought 3 sets of rears from him and mount them to my factory rims and use them exclusively for track.

Meanwhile, the rear of the R1-Rs wore completely down past the wear bars, and while it rarely ever rains here in Southern California, I decided to call in a favor and ask my buddy over at Falken to send me a set of the new Azenis RT-615K to replace the R1-R. The RT-615K is civilized enough for street use, although the tread block is quite large that if it were to rain HARD here in So Cal I'd be up sh*t creek. I did manage to drive it at a local autocross and at Chuckwalla Raceway in March...And while it's performance on AX is pretty stunning, for track use the difference between the first 4-5 laps and the rest of the session is quite apparent. At Chuckwalla I was stuck behind another instructor trying to earn a point-by, and all of a sudden the grip sort of went away and I went from hounding him for a pass to can't keep up within 3 turns. I think had I kept the pressure low enough I can probably extend the usable range to last a full session, but unlike the Nitto NT-01 which is phenomenal for the entire 25-30 minute session and has a much higher capacity for heat, the RT-615K is really good for only a short stint, like autocross.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #34
k2pilot
flying things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, B8 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
I rode them out until early april and bought a set of Hankook V12's for numerous reasons.

Sizes:
F: 245/45 18

I'm glad to see that you're running those sizes, that's exactly what i want to run with the new bridgestone re-11's. It looks like everyone else goes to 235/40-18 and 265-35-18, which has a 3% smaller rolling diameter. Where as a 245/45-18 and 275/40-18 is 2.5% larger than stock, so even better if you DD.

My question for all you though, will those sizes rub? I don't see why considering most of you guys manage to stuff rims that are a solid 1" larger than stock.

since stock is
F: 225/45-18 803 turns per mile (TPM)
R: 255/40-18 799 TPM

looks like another option would be:
F:245/40-18 811 TPM (-0.98% different)
R:265/40-18 792 TPM (+0.88% different)
F/R difference: 1.86%

Though i'm still leaning towards
F:245/45-18 780 TPM (+2.9%)
R:275/40-18 782 TPM (+2.1%)
F/R difference: 0.8%.

I'd much rather having a larger tire size bias over a reduce diameter since i DD the car and it logs some freeway hours. So, thoughts?

Last edited by k2pilot; 01-16-2012 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #35
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I'm glad to see that you're running those sizes, that's exactly what i want to run with the new bridgestone re-11's. It looks like everyone else goes to 235/40-18 and 265-35-18, which has a 3% smaller rolling diameter. Where as a 245/45-18 and 275/40-18 is 2.5% larger than stock, so even better if you DD.

My question for all you though, will those sizes rub? I don't see why considering most of you guys manage to stuff rims that are a solid 1" larger than stock.

since stock is
F: 225/45-18 803 turns per mile (TPM)
R: 255/40-18 799 TPM

looks like another option would be:
F:245/40-18 811 TPM (-0.98% different)
R:265/40-18 792 TPM (+0.88% different)
F/R difference: 1.86%

Though i'm still leaning towards
F:245/45-18 780 TPM (+2.9%)
R:275/40-18 782 TPM (+2.1%)
F/R difference: 0.8%.

I'd much rather having a larger tire size bias over a reduce diameter since i DD the car and it logs some freeway hours. So, thoughts?
Never go larger diameter on your wheels than stock. This will screw up your ABS and therefor your breaking distance will be longer.

As far as I was told, with bigger diameter your wheels turn less times than they should, which under braking can mean that ABS will "think" that your wheels are sliding and therefor will lower the pressure from the break pads. I was urged by people who do racing to never put bigger diameter wheels on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: By echolocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBastard View Post
Never go larger diameter on your wheels than stock. This will screw up your ABS and therefor your breaking distance will be longer.

As far as I was told, with bigger diameter your wheels turn less times than they should, which under braking can mean that ABS will "think" that your wheels are sliding and therefor will lower the pressure from the break pads. I was urged by people who do racing to never put bigger diameter wheels on BMW.
You should keep the rolling diameter (a function of the tire and wheel) close to stock, but some deviation is not only unavoidable, but innate in the fact that the tire itself wears. Going + or - while changing the tire size to compensate keeping rolling diameter close is not a problem, and BMW themselves offer numerous tire/wheel packages and sizes from the factory and as dealer accessories. They don't change abs sensors with different wheels/tires.

As I understand it, the abs sensors work relative to one another, and are not so sensitive that a slight percentage difference in rolling diameter will make a difference. I've had many different sizes on my car, and anecdotally haven't noticed major differences in stopping or ABS threshold I couldn't attribute to the tire I was running, rather than it's size, or the alignment I was running.

Back on topic...I run 235/265 RE-11s in the summer, and I like the tires alot but aside from being expensive, if I were to buy them again I would try a 245/275 set up. This really seems to be a car you would want to cram as much tire as you can under it, with tendencies to understeer in / oversteer out. I don't believe that 245/275 street tires will completely solve this, but more mechanical grip can't hurt. If they are in stock when the time comes I'll likely end up on R-S3s.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
k2pilot
flying things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, B8 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONAR View Post
You should keep the rolling diameter (a function of the tire and wheel) close to stock, but some deviation is not only unavoidable, but innate in the fact that the tire itself wears. Going + or - while changing the tire size to compensate keeping rolling diameter close is not a problem, and BMW themselves offer numerous tire/wheel packages and sizes from the factory and as dealer accessories. They don't change abs sensors with different wheels/tires.

As I understand it, the abs sensors work relative to one another, and are not so sensitive that a slight percentage difference in rolling diameter will make a difference. I've had many different sizes on my car, and anecdotally haven't noticed major differences in stopping or ABS threshold I couldn't attribute to the tire I was running, rather than it's size, or the alignment I was running.

Back on topic...I run 235/265 RE-11s in the summer, and I like the tires alot but aside from being expensive, if I were to buy them again I would try a 245/275 set up. This really seems to be a car you would want to cram as much tire as you can under it, with tendencies to understeer in / oversteer out. I don't believe that 245/275 street tires will completely solve this, but more mechanical grip can't hurt. If they are in stock when the time comes I'll likely end up on R-S3s.
Those were my thoughts on the ABS system, i mean even just a deflated tire will have a significant impact on the rolling diameter of the tire, so obviously the system has to see a substantial variation to get alarmed.

So when you say you'd go 245/275, what sidewall ratio would you be running?
      01-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #38
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

245/40 275/35...fwiw the same ratios I have now...235/40 265/35. You aren't realistically going to fit a 245/45 up front, I've tried it. Rubbing at stock ride height over larger bumps and close to full through full lock, lots of fender well carnage lowered, with camber.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #39
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

also, if you're main concern is daily-driving, I wouldn't get "cheater" extreme performance compound tires like re-11s, rs3s et al. Expensive in 18" / wear out quickly, and your gas mileage will suffer with the grippier tire (not that it's your main concern since the M isn't that economical to begin with...)

I would look more at Conti DW's (not DWS all seasons) or 'Kook V12s.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #40
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

i have hankook v12's in 235/35/19 and 275/30/19. they do not have a very stiff sidewall so they are comfortable and very good on the street, even in colder temperatures. i would definetly recommned them for street. they are very quiet and have good wear. i run them on my lexus IS as well and been caught in the snow a few times...and they performed suprisinlgy well
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #41
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONAR View Post

Yeah, I can't really argue, cause honestly I have no idea. I was just forwarding what I have been told by people that are doing professional racing and/or working in the industry. Maybe it's just some stupid rumor, so if I said something wrong, I'm sorry.

Last edited by SmartBastard; 01-17-2012 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #42
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

not at all meant as attack, just trying to clarify, especially the wheel diameter vs. rolling diameter
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #43
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335I M Sport

I have 245/40/18 275/40/18 Continental Extreme ContactDW tires and i like them. They have good wet and dry grip. Good daily driver tires. Once I retire the M from daily driver duty I will probably get some RE-11's again.
2007 Z4MC #1019/1815 (Sold)
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #44
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

DW's are a great wet street tire. Close friend will be running them as his dedicated auto-x rain tire. Would like to get a set for my 18s when the RE11s go, so I can move to 17s for dedicated auto x
Appreciate 0