ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Another Magnaflow adoptee

Went to the muffler shop yesterday to get some custom work done. I tried so hard to justify spending $1000 for an aftermarket system but I just couldn't do it. Too expensive for me and I'd rather have a custom one-off anyway. So here is what I got...

The tips are some of the nicest tips I've seen yet on a Z4M. They are staggered with a slash cut. They flow with the rear bumper perfectly.

A nice deep European noise is emitted from the rear of the car with this exhaust. It has just enough bark but not too much to be annoying. He started the car up without any mufflers and it was ear piercing loud. But with the two Magnaflows, it quieted it down to just the right level. I can't tell of any power loss but I can tell it breathes a little better up top. I had a harder time feeling the power drop at 7500rpm like before.

Very happy with this setup. I won't go into pricing but let's just say it a cost a little more than half of what the cheapest aftermarket exhaust costs (RPi). That includes parts & labor.

I'll get some better pictures after I give her a good washing.

Last edited by tekmoe; 03-22-2011 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Now that you provided a teaser, how about some specifics such as model of magnaflow? Are the tips intregral or add ons? If add ons, whose? How about drone? Thanks
      03-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

MMMmmm... Looks very nice. Mind providing a sound clip?

edit, and may i please ask... what size diameter is the muffler? im now looking into this lol... oh, and, did it require any modification to the car itself that would not allow me to put the car back to stock (irreversible welding, etc...)

Last edited by dorifto88; 03-22-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

All I know about the tips is they were the most expensive ones money can buy. And they definitely look the business.

The mufflers are Magnaflow Wide Open Performance. I can get the part numbers for those if you'd like.

Not much drone unless you are really stepping on it. When cruising (2500-3000rpm), it's pretty quiet. Like I said, I am extremely happy with the outcome. It's not too loud but you can definitely hear it. It's just about perfect for city driving in my book. Much more bass than treble if that makes any sense. It's the way a European car should sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
All I know about the tips is they were the most expensive ones money can buy. And they definitely look the business.

The mufflers are Magnaflow Wide Open Performance. I can get the part numbers for those if you'd like.
Info on tips and mufflers, please.
      03-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
MMMmmm... Looks very nice. Mind providing a sound clip?

edit, and may i please ask... what size diameter is the muffler? im now looking into this lol... oh, and, did it require any modification to the car itself that would not allow me to put the car back to stock (irreversible welding, etc...)
He welded flanges onto the Magnaflows so I can convert back to stock if I'd like. Very nice setup. He did an excellent job.

And yes, I can attempt to do a sound clip although I don't think it will do this system justice. The sound is very deep and I know the microphone on the camera will have a hard time picking up all the bass.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

sorry for the buttload of questions, but i have another. the tips are weld on, right? because i would rather have a single outlet rather than a dual outlet.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
sorry for the buttload of questions, but i have another. the tips are weld on, right? because i would rather have a single outlet rather than a dual outlet.
Yes, they were welded on.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Took the lady for a ride last night. It was the first time she's been in my car since I had the exhaust installed. She said it sounded great. Girlfriend approved.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Took the lady for a ride last night. It was the first time she's been in my car since I had the exhaust installed. She said it sounded great. Girlfriend approved.
      03-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Wow. Great price and looks. The tips look like a chromed out version of my RE Diablos.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Wow. Great price and looks. The tips look like a chromed out version of my RE Diablos.
Thank you! And yes, the tips are chromed.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

congrat, now I'm proud that I'm converting you guys lol.

tips and workmanship looks great! Looks very similar to mine!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226 View Post
congrat, now I'm proud that I'm converting you guys lol.

tips and workmanship looks great! Looks very similar to mine!
Thanks buddy! Yes, the tips are gorgeous. Love 'em. Thank you for sharing your findings. You persuaded me heavily to go this route with your thread.

Over the course of the past 5 days I've conducted some tests on a nearby freeway entrance ramp. My conclusion is these magnaflow mufflers have eliminated the torque drop at 7500rpm compared to the stock mufflers. This was my only complaint about the almighty S54. I've tried several times to feel the torque drop and I can't seem to find it anymore. Can't believe something this simple would solve that issue. Then again, most aftermarket exhausts do allow the engine to breathe better in the upper rpm's so it really doesn't surprise me. I just didn't think it would be that noticeable.

Last edited by tekmoe; 03-25-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Here is the dyno graph of a completely stock Z4M. Would love to see one with an aftermarket exhaust. Based on my butt dyno, I'm willing to bet the torque line smooths out nicely at 7500rpm.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Is that your plot or one you found?
It looks like that dyno is wonky.
The plot shouldn't be all ragged like that.

Also, the A/F has a couple of bad drop offs there. ???
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Is that your plot or one you found?
It looks like that dyno is wonky.
The plot shouldn't be all ragged like that.

Also, the A/F has a couple of bad drop offs there. ???
Not mine, I found it somewhere online. It appears smoothing was not enabled. But I can attest that it's pretty much how my car felt prior to installing my magnaflows. Pulled great up until about 7500rpm where you could feel the torque drop. Don't have to worry about that no more.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^i don't think it's torque drop, more like a dip in power (hp) output. a more free-flowing set of mufflers will boost the top-end power and tt's probably what u're noticing.

off-topic, i've been toying with the idea of a dyno + tune, albeit i really don't need/want to mod in this aspect. there's a brand new dyno tt just opened in san antonio, and i have a 7-day money back guarantee on a viezu tune for $450 out-the-door at pily motorsports. might do a before-and-after, with my current setup (gruppem + rpi's) and with the tune. yay, nay?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
^i don't think it's torque drop, more like a dip in power (hp) output. a more free-flowing set of mufflers will boost the top-end power and tt's probably what u're noticing.

off-topic, i've been toying with the idea of a dyno + tune, albeit i really don't need/want to mod in this aspect. there's a brand new dyno tt just opened in san antonio, and i have a 7-day money back guarantee on a viezu tune for $450 out-the-door at pily motorsports. might do a before-and-after, with my current setup (gruppem + rpi's) and with the tune. yay, nay?
(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

With the free-flowing mufflers, the engine breathes better which creates more torque. I get what you are saying but I think you have it backwards. Horsepower is Torque x Engine speed divided by 5,252.

If you do the tune, will it yield you better gas mileage too?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #20
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

intake + mufflers have already netted me calculated gains in gas mileage. i'm averaging 21.9mpg with 85/15 highway/city since i last reset which was right after i put my rpi's on (~4000 miles). i'm honestly *thinking* of doing the tune just to put it on a dyno and provide more aftermarket tune info out here for the community. otherwise, am perfectly contented with my car as-is
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #21
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Nice man!!!!! I've actually noticed a slight increase in gas mileage myself with the new exhaust.
Appreciate 0