ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Jake516
Rep
Drives:

How much longer for Z4?

Hi, I'm interested in a M Z4 but was wondering how much longer the Z4 or the M Z4 will be produced? THanks alot.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake516 View Post
Hi, I'm interested in a M Z4 but was wondering how much longer the Z4 or the M Z4 will be produced? THanks alot.
Well, its no longer a brand new car, but its certainly not old yet, BMW typically runs life cycles of 7-9 years for a car, with the roadsters on the longerside of the scale, so by that fuzzy math the next version should be out around 2009, so we have a few years ahead of us. THe z4 also just had its facelift this year, so good news is there should be no changes for the Z4 until the next model comes.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
Briteboy[iCE]
Rep
Drives: Silver 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUICE View Post
Well, its no longer a brand new car, but its certainly not old yet, BMW typically runs life cycles of 7-9 years for a car, with the roadsters on the longerside of the scale, so by that fuzzy math the next version should be out around 2009, so we have a few years ahead of us. THe z4 also just had its facelift this year, so good news is there should be no changes for the Z4 until the next model comes.
And what's the next model? Will there be Z4 again?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
myZed
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
And what's the next model? Will there be Z4 again?
Some say there won't be I think. I read rumors there'll be a smaller Z2 instead?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Jake516
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guys. Another question then - since the Z M-coupe came out later in the lifecycle will it end up being produced longer also?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
Roland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake516 View Post
Thanks guys. Another question then - since the Z M-coupe came out later in the lifecycle will it end up being produced longer also?
I doubt it. If they kill the Z4, they won't keep the line running just for coupes - it'll get retooled for whatever replaces the Z4 (either a new Z4 or Z2 or ?).

Someone was positing that this may be the last year for the Z4 if sales don't pick up. Wouldn't hurt my feelings as i suspect it will establish my Z4MC as somewhat of a collectible in a few years

I certainly think that it would be unwise on BMW's part to discontinue the Z4 without an equivalent replacement (and only have the less expensive Z2)...If BMW wants to compete with lesser cars (ex: Miatas & Solstices) instead of somewhat more upscale cars (ex: Mercedes SLKs & Porsche Boxsters) I think they will be detracting from the brand's prestige. This is partly what killed Packard after WWII...they went downscale and offended their existing clientele who appreciated the exclusivity and luxury of their cars. As a result they were relegated to being an "also-ran" relative to the mainstream manufacturers and they are now gone
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Jake516
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Someone was positing that this may be the last year for the Z4 if sales don't pick up. Wouldn't hurt my feelings as i suspect it will establish my Z4MC as somewhat of a collectible in a few years
That would make your Z4MC even more rare than the original M-coupe which was produced for 4 years? Nice.

I dunno if BMW would leave itself completely without a roadster. Would be really surprised.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
I doubt they would stop Z4 production even if sales slump further, they have a factory for the car in SC, USA and really have no other car to produce there, so it would be a waste of facilities and manpower. THe factory has the capacity to produce the X5 and Z cars (and some extra capacity as well), so to cut it down to just X5s would be very inefficient. I could see them scaling overall production numbers down, or slow down daily production speed but to stop altogether would just seem unlikely to me at this point..
      11-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
Roland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUICE View Post
I doubt they would stop Z4 production even if sales slump further, they have a factory for the car in SC, USA and really have no other car to produce there, so it would be a waste of facilities and manpower. THe factory has the capacity to produce the X5 and Z cars (and some extra capacity as well), so to cut it down to just X5s would be very inefficient. I could see them scaling overall production numbers down, or slow down daily production speed but to stop altogether would just seem unlikely to me at this point..
I could see them ramping up X5 and Z2 production and killing Z4 production in a couple of years. They could also start building the X3 there and simply make it an SUV factory. But...I do hope they keep the Z4 (or equivalent).
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I could see them ramping up X5 and Z2 production and killing Z4 production in a couple of years. They could also start building the X3 there and simply make it an SUV factory. But...I do hope they keep the Z4 (or equivalent).
True, but since there is no Z2 on the horizon yet I dont see that happening anytime soon, I think the Z4 will be with us for its entire lifecycle (till 2009/2010). Now replacing it with the X3, thats definitly a good alternative for BMW, scary, but I guess if they decided to kill the Z4 tommorow they could put the X3 production there, ouch for us. Luckily i'm sure BMW has contracts with the austian factory that the car is currently outsourced too, so they wont let go too easily. I still believe the Z4 will be with us for its whole lifespan
      11-15-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
Roland
Private
United_States
Rep

Just read the latest Roundel last night. There is a blurb in it about the Z2 (attributed to Car & Driver or equivalent). In the blurb, the writer makes the statement that the Z2 will not be a stablemate for the Z4...(i.e. that when the Z2 shows up in 2009, there will not be a Z4 still being produced).

If true, we may be looking at 2-3 remaining model years for Z4s.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2006, 07:32 AM   #12
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just read the latest Roundel last night. There is a blurb in it about the Z2 (attributed to Car & Driver or equivalent). In the blurb, the writer makes the statement that the Z2 will not be a stablemate for the Z4...(i.e. that when the Z2 shows up in 2009, there will not be a Z4 still being produced).

If true, we may be looking at 2-3 remaining model years for Z4s.
I agree with this, there will be a replacement with a differnt numbering (depending on the size of the car), and the current trend with roadsters/sports cars is to go smaller (which i agree with!) so Z2 makes sense. And we have 2-3 years ahead of us which is great. My dream would be to be the invisible man for a day and just walk through the various rooms at BMW HQ and see whats going on...
      12-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #13
pan-d-man
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Question Resale?

It appears that the market has really slowed. There are 116 of the Z4MCs that come up on autotrader.com for the US. I have one on order but have noticed that many are losing +$10k with just a few miles on it. I am all about resale value and rotating stock. With this kind of drop, I may think again. It is difficult to judge the resale market, but it is not looking strong. I am fairly new to watching BMW trends. Any input would be appreciated. Maybe I will wait and pick one up in a few months with under 2k miles for $10k off?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #14
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan-d-man View Post
It appears that the market has really slowed. There are 116 of the Z4MCs that come up on autotrader.com for the US. I have one on order but have noticed that many are losing +$10k with just a few miles on it. I am all about resale value and rotating stock. With this kind of drop, I may think again. It is difficult to judge the resale market, but it is not looking strong. I am fairly new to watching BMW trends. Any input would be appreciated. Maybe I will wait and pick one up in a few months with under 2k miles for $10k off?
Yea you are absolutly correct, and its sad in a way that BMW the brand that was so well known for producing cars that held their resale values extremly well, now has one of their M cars with such dropping value. But at this point, what is done is done, and I think with a car like the ZMC you have to go with your heart and just get the car if you like it and are happy with it, rather then consider how much you will get when you sell it. I know that doensn't make much sense at all, but car lust never does.
      12-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #15
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

didnt the last mcoupe dip in resale value for a while too? I think its too early to tell on the Z4Mcoupe... when my 325xi was a year old I was told it depreciated 12k why does 10k surprise you on the coupe?

if you want one buy one, I did and I dont regret it
Appreciate 0