ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
spinsall4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SB 07 MZ4 Coupe

Replacing my clutch and flywheel with the TMS HD/aluminum flywheel setup. Going with UUC red motor mounts and red isolated tranny mounts. Deleting the CDV at the same time. If its all apart, might as well. Parts are all in transit. Will post pics of the parts before i do the install. Should make a significant difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #24
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsall4 View Post
Replacing my clutch and flywheel with the TMS HD/aluminum flywheel setup. Going with UUC red motor mounts and red isolated tranny mounts. Deleting the CDV at the same time. If its all apart, might as well. Parts are all in transit. Will post pics of the parts before i do the install. Should make a significant difference.
Wow, that's going to be a hard-core setup! Post obsevations when complete. Where in norcal are you? I'm close to Sacto, I'd love to check this out when completed.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #25
spinsall4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Wow, that's going to be a hard-core setup! Post obsevations when complete. Where in norcal are you? I'm close to Sacto, I'd love to check this out when completed.
Work in SF. Live in the East Bay. I am up in Roseville all the time so it would be easy to connect. The parts are suppose to arrive this week and early next. Install the week following.

Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
spinsall4
Private
United_States
Rep

UUC Motor mounts and red isolated tranny mounts arrived yesterday. Still waiting on my clutch/alum flywheel. Cant wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Cool. PM me if you plan to be up in Roseville, I'd love to connect and get a first-hand impression!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #28
spinsall4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Cool. PM me if you plan to be up in Roseville, I'd love to connect and get a first-hand impression!
Will do. Was there Mon and Tues this week. Will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #29
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
I got the UUC Black poly with the cups and there is more noise then stock and also a LOT more vibration then I would like. Wish I would have gone RE
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: By echolocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataStream18 View Post
I got the UUC Black poly with the cups and there is more noise then stock and also a LOT more vibration then I would like. Wish I would have gone RE
IIRC UUC has had 2 kinds of mounts, older bolt through style and newer isolated style. If you have the older style, it could explain the dramatic increase in vibration, since the trans is literally bolted to the car and just surrounded by rubber, the vibration is being transmitted through the bolt and not dispersed into the rubber as with an isolated design.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #31
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONAR View Post
IIRC UUC has had 2 kinds of mounts, older bolt through style and newer isolated style. If you have the older style, it could explain the dramatic increase in vibration, since the trans is literally bolted to the car and just surrounded by rubber, the vibration is being transmitted through the bolt and not dispersed into the rubber as with an isolated design.
This is the one i bought 3 weeks ago from them

TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #32
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

According to the website the Gen 2 isolated designs are "now shipping" though I don't know when they started. Esp. if they are FIFO, you could've got the last of the older design. Maybe call and ask with your part number presuming there is a difference in part numbers between generations. All I can say is the RE isolated mounts, with cups, the increase in vibration is in no way intrusive, the increase is perceptive but not by much. I bet you got a bolt through style
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #33
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
According to the website the Gen 2 isolated designs are "now shipping" though I don't know when they started. Esp. if they are FIFO, you could've got the last of the older design. Maybe call and ask with your part number presuming there is a difference in part numbers between generations. All I can say is the RE isolated mounts, with cups, the increase in vibration is in no way intrusive, the increase is perceptive but not by much. I bet you got a bolt through style
Yes, it looks like UUC has gone back to neoprene for their "black" transmission mounts. Just another things to confuse customers IMO, as a couple years back the UUC black were neoprene, then they were black were poly, now they're neoprene again. Resellers probably still have the poly in stock, and who knows when UUC changed, or what's been shipped.

I don't see on that link where they mention a new design--only that the option III (red track use only) is bolt through. IIRC the options I and II (red poly and black--neoprene or poly versions) were never bolt through. But they change the products around so much I'm not going to stick to that assertion too tenaciously.

I suspect Datastream has the poly. Easiest way to tell is that the neoprene looks/feels like very hard rubber; while the poly is hard, kind of shiny, and doesn't look like rubber. If they turn out to be rubber, the culprit probably is the "enforcer cups". These will cause an increase in NVH no matter what the dampening/isolation material.

Removing the cups and making sure things aren't over-torqued (easy to do since it's like 15 ft. lbs IIRC) might clear things up. Worth a shot if you don't want to spend more $$$, a PITA if it doesn't since install/uninstalls are a PITA to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #34
SONAR
Banned
Albania
Rep

http://www.nexternal.com/shared/Stor...t=products.asp

(click Z4 then trans mounts)

"Gen 2 now shipping

New mechanical retention system on all UUC isolated transmission mounts (red or black) and engine mounts. This design uses a bonded end plate plus an inner plate embedded in the urethane. This inner plate prevents separation of the mount assembly even under excessive force."

To me the wording reads, since the new ones are isolated, the old ones aren't?

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.nexternal.com/shared/Stor...t=products.asp

(click Z4 then trans mounts)

"Gen 2 now shipping

New mechanical retention system on all UUC isolated transmission mounts (red or black) and engine mounts. This design uses a bonded end plate plus an inner plate embedded in the urethane. This inner plate prevents separation of the mount assembly even under excessive force."

To me the wording reads, since the new ones are isolated, the old ones aren't?

Thanks for posting that! Now that I see it, I do remember coming across that when I did the research for this sticky and when bought the red poly version from UUC in April '11. So it's not new, it's been on their website since April/May of last year.

Were they bolt through in the past? IDK, could be. But for almost a year they've been isolated. The red poly purchased last April were (not that it helped with the NVH with the red poly).

What's on their website is inconsistent in terms of product descriptions in several places which doesn't make research any easier. Don't get me wrong, they make good products (the red poly were well made, just not good for my application), it's just the clarity and consistency of their website could be a tad better.

Last edited by Finnegan; 01-18-2012 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #36
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Ill take those cups off here in the next few days and Ill let yall know prolly this weekend if that was the culprit. Thanks for the info guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #37
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Finn...can't thank you enough for gathering all these info and putting it on one sticky. This helped tremendously in deciding which mount to pick.

Just had the Rogue Engineering Neoprene mount installed (didn't want to gamble on the UUC black) and your description of them is spot on! Very little increased in NVH (if any at all) and much, much improved feel. These mounts should have came standard with the car. The OEM mounts (only had about 16k miles on them) were very squishy soft as I can simply deflect them with just my fingers!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #38
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

You're welcome! I'm glad it was helpful! (As much as I like the forum, and as much information as there is here, it's hard to get to a good summary of all of the available data at times.)

It's shocking how flimsy the stock mounts are isn't it? Marshmallows at room temp--and probably roasted marshmallow consistency when hot! It's no wonder why with the stock mounts shifting can be be vague at times and impossible at others!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataStream18
Ill take those cups off here in the next few days and Ill let yall know prolly this weekend if that was the culprit. Thanks for the info guys!
Cups most likely the culprit. They add a considerable amount of NVH. I've got the UUC set and they're great (although unsure if it's the same ones they sent u). Update?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #40
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I got side tracked with working on the house so thats where my extra time went, then my radiator fan went out 2 days ago, so I'm waiting on that to get here. Sense it is an easy drop in Im ganna go later that day to take them off.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #41
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Sorry for the delay in responding but I finally took the UUC pucks off and what a world of a difference! So much less vibration and noise! So DO NOT buy the aluminum pucks unless you plan on this not being your DD b/c it will annoy the HELL outta you!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #42
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in responding but I finally took the UUC pucks off and what a world of a difference! So much less vibration and noise! So DO NOT buy the aluminum pucks unless you plan on this not being your DD b/c it will annoy the HELL outta you!
Thank you for the update! Original post in this thread updated to reflect your experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #43
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
I would say that is up to the individual. I have the aluminum reinforcer cups on and DD the car. Hardly any difference. I did preloaded the mounts then torqued the bolts.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #44
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I would say that is up to the individual. I have the aluminum reinforcer cups on and DD the car. Hardly any difference. I did preloaded the mounts then torqued the bolts.
Ship, do you have neoprene mounts? When I combed through various thread for the sticky I found that those using enforcer cups + neoprene don't seem to have much increase in NVH; while those using enforcer cups + poly seem to experience a lot of NVH. Datastream has poly mounts.

Preload and torque certainly affect the outcome as well!

I updated the OP to say this:
UUC "Enforcer Cups": These are an optional addition from UUC that are supposed to offer more control. Reports vary. Those using these in conjunction with Rogue neoprene report more control and a small increase in NVH. Some using them with poly report excessive NVH.
Appreciate 0