ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Knoxes
Private
Rep
Drives: E86

Grumble...

So I just bought this E86 with 50K miles. I had a e30 years ago and I've been eager to get back into a BMW ever since. It's a brilliant car - black over black 6 speed. And in my over-eagerness, I didn't even drive it before making an offer. I know, I know... I've never done that before, but felt like I couldn't miss the opportunity. Now I guess I'm paying for that impulsiveness.

First, the RF were crap and had to be replaced immediately. That was $800. During the tire install, found that the front pads were almost to the rivets, so I had to order new pads and hardware ($60!! for Akebono's - that's pretty reasonable!). Actually looking forward to that install - should be easy and straight forward. Then the oil meter tells me it's time - haven't bought that stuff yet. There's a whistle coming from the driver's side leading edge of the window. Bought some German rubber conditioner for that ($15). Fingers crossed that this works. People have been flashing their lights at me at night and the adaptive system doesn't seem to be working at all. Interestingly, neither are the inboard lights - just the outboards. And I'm pretty sure the a/c compressor is toast because the climate control can't seem to get the temps down and stable.

*sigh*
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Oh, and it's got a slight pull to the right - requires just a bit of counter clockwise pressure to go straight on the freeway. And it still wanders a bit, so some toe-in is probably in order...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
whatcubed
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci

Aside from the A/C compressor, sounds like a little general maintenance and upkeep. Always best to at least drive a car before purchase, if not possible then get it PPI'd. At least nothing catastrophic like engine failure! Hopefully after the initial bugs get worked out you'll be set to enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Knoxes
Private
Rep

And I'm finding it a bit difficult to find information on DIY. I mean, I can pretty much figure out how to change the oil, but things like the adaptive headlights and the a/c issues - not finding much out there about these...

It'll probably help once I have the TIS in hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I'm assuming you have HID since you mentioned "adaptive"? If so, there are no "inboard" lights other than those "rings".
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
The pull could just be the low profile runflats (assuming you replaced the RF's with new RF's) but an alignment can surely help. I find FCPEuro has the best rates for maintenance stuff with free shipping over $99
      10-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
I'm assuming you have HID since you mentioned "adaptive"? If so, there are no "inboard" lights other than those "rings".
Yes, it came with the Premium package so Xenon headlights. So there's a housing, but no actual bulb?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
The pull could just be the low profile runflats (assuming you replaced the RF's with new RF's) but an alignment can surely help. I find FCPEuro has the best rates for maintenance stuff with free shipping over $99
I didn't - went with Conti Extreme DWS. Couldn't find any posts favoring the RF's over NRF's once the change was made. It does ride much better and quieter, isn't tramming nearly as much, but it's not an apples to apples comparison to be fair. The RF's probably only had another 5-8k miles left in them.

Thanks for the link on that - working on building up sources for parts. Found the Akebono's dirt cheap on RockAuto. They are the low price leader, IMO, but god forbid you ever have to return anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
Yes, it came with the Premium package so Xenon headlights. So there's a housing, but no actual bulb?
Correct. The inboard lights are just a dummy housing. The bulbs inside are just for the rings
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Welcome matey, congrats on the car.pics when u can please. Alignment will do wonders.. but didn't you do that after getting the new rubber?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #11
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Doesn't sound like major problems, just some fun things to play with.
The ride height sensor for the lights is connected to the right rear trailing arm with some little ball joint linkage.
Make sure it's intact, then disconnect the linkage and with the headlights on, move the lever up and down and see if the headlights move.
      10-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #12
JimG Z4
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 2.5i

As for the A/C - if there is little or no refrigerant in the system your high and/or low side (Shrader) service valves might be leaking. Replace these valves. Go to Walmart and pick up two cans of R134C refrigerant and recharge the system. The system capacity is 1.63 lbs. It's a $40 gamble but it worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Correct. The inboard lights are just a dummy housing. The bulbs inside are just for the rings
How very un-German!

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Welcome matey, congrats on the car.pics when u can please. Alignment will do wonders.. but didn't you do that after getting the new rubber?
Thanks!

It was tramming so badly when I bought it that I didn't even notice the alignment issue. And it's not very far off, so it honestly took a few miles on the freeway to convince me - a bit of turn-left pressure is required to stay straight.

Pic as requested

It's in really nice shape inside and out. One owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #15
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Doesn't sound like major problems, just some fun things to play with.
The ride height sensor for the lights is connected to the right rear trailing arm with some little ball joint linkage.
Make sure it's intact, then disconnect the linkage and with the headlights on, move the lever up and down and see if the headlights move.
I fiddled a bit last night and noticed that they will go through the pre-flight check if I switch them on IMMEDIATELY after starting the car. If I wait for more than a few seconds, they won't do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If your car still has run flat tires, most folks here have replaced them with a conventional tire for greatly improved steering and ride characteristics. I've got Hankook Ventus V12's on my 3.0SI but there are other tires that are as good or better.

It sounds like your car could benefit from new tires and maybe an alignment and corner balance. Your BMW dealer can do the corner balance for around $200 I think.

I find that my car's steering is very sensitive to tire pressure. If one of the fronts is off a few pounds, the steering feels out of whack. Check that first.

And welcome! Sounds like you just have a handful of minor issues to address after which you'll be grinning from ear to ear!

EDIT - your car looks great!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #17
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG Z4 View Post
As for the A/C - if there is little or no refrigerant in the system your high and/or low side (Shrader) service valves might be leaking. Replace these valves. Go to Walmart and pick up two cans of R134C refrigerant and recharge the system. The system capacity is 1.63 lbs. It's a $40 gamble but it worked for me.
I think I have a can of that laying around somewhere - agreed, it's worth the effort.

In other news, I should learn to multi quote.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #18
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The Xenon headlights perform an initialization/test (what you call pre-flight) every time the key is turned to Pos1. The lights do not have to be on for this to happen.

Also, before you start replacing Freon or the compressor, have your car checked to make sure you are not in ‘Transport Mode’. It may be that simple
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
The Xenon headlights perform an initialization/test (what you call pre-flight) every time the key is turned to Pos1. The lights do not have to be on for this to happen.
Ah... ok. I assume this is in the manual somewhere...

Quote:
Also, before you start replacing Freon or the compressor, have your car checked to make sure you are not in ‘Transport Mode’. It may be that simple
Ok, I've done some research on the SSS/Progman software. LOTS to learn there. Need to order an obd cable, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
I fiddled a bit last night and noticed that they will go through the pre-flight check if I switch them on IMMEDIATELY after starting the car. If I wait for more than a few seconds, they won't do it.
This will only verify the motors in the headlights are operational. You should still check the height sensor per "StickMon's" suggestion.

BTW...the car looks great
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #21
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Thanks.

It seems this site is mostly populated by the M cars. Love them, but I couldn't quite bring myself to seriously consider it for a daily driver, 70 mile-mostly-freeway-round trip commute.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #22
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
You also, could just have the light assemblies out of adjustment.
There are X and Y adjustment screws just behind each headlight assemblies.

The Xenon lamp (in each assembly) illuminates at one output. When the high beams are selected, a solenoid operated shutter is rotated out of the beam path, providing more 'beam'....

Driving an ///M everyday is a great commuter car...
Appreciate 0