ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #67
Knoxes
Private
Rep
Drives: E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If you decide the cornering noise is not from the battery or anything you can check out what I posted in here. I think it was as simple as jacking up and then loading/unloading the trailing arm (although BMW fixed under warranty so I can't say 100% for sure)

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330864
Huh. That's interesting. I would describe it as a heavy sound than what you have in that thread, but I'll poke around under there and see what I can find.

On the topic of shocks/struts, I see a lot of folks are using Konis as well as Bilsteins. It's pretty unlikely that I'll ever track this car - and I only occasionally push it around. Otherwise it's almost a daily driver and I've been grumbling a bit to myself about the rigidity on my freeway commute. I'm not sure what I should do here - stock, Bilsteins, Konis or something else?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #68
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Third oil change and I'm getting more comfortable with the jack stands. This is the only car that I own that has to be jacked up to access the oil plug.

So I pulled the plug and let it drain for at least an hour (ran to Advance for oil and filter and to recycle the used oil). When I removed the filter cap, it had enough pressure to overflow the housing, which was a PITA to clean up. Some went between the alternator and the head, and, well, there's no easy access back there... So is that normal to have some pressure in the filter housing? I was surprised by how much residual oil was in there after draining for an hour.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #69
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I usually find e46 DIY when I can't find for the z.
Some are pretty similar or same.
Congrats on your new car. Good choice!
      08-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #70
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Oh, I should point out that is is a resurrected thread. I've had the Z for almost 2 years now. Sorry about that. I just updated with this question:

Quote:
When I removed the oil filter cap, it had enough pressure to overflow the housing, which was a PITA to clean up. Some went between the alternator and the head, and, well, there's no easy access back there... So is that normal to have some pressure in the filter housing? I was surprised by how much residual oil was in there after draining for an hour.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #71
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
Third oil change and I'm getting more comfortable with the jack stands. This is the only car that I own that has to be jacked up to access the oil plug.

So I pulled the plug and let it drain for at least an hour (ran to Advance for oil and filter and to recycle the used oil). When I removed the filter cap, it had enough pressure to overflow the housing, which was a PITA to clean up. Some went between the alternator and the head, and, well, there's no easy access back there... So is that normal to have some pressure in the filter housing? I was surprised by how much residual oil was in there after draining for an hour.
There's supposed to be a bit of residual oil in there, but the pressure you'd mentioned worries me. Neither of my M54 nor S54 filter housing does that. I usually open up the filter housing first before draining (or suction) out the oil. This leaves me plenty of time for the residual oil from the housing to drain and use a towel to clean up the remains.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #72
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Since the reservoir isn't full when I pull the filter out, it may be that the filter is loaded up and I'm just being messy.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #73
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Crack open the filter last.

Open oil fill cap (on top of engine).

Open drain plug and drain.

Crack open oil filter cap, let sit.

Remove filter.

If oil spills out of the filter even with following this order, something is wrong.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #74
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

^WHS
Fill cap, then drain, then open filter.
I've done it about 20 times now, and the filter canister is maybe 1/2 full with the filter still in it.
      08-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #75
Knoxes
Private
Rep

Ok, maybe I just haven't let it sit.

What possibly things could be wrong? It should have a free route to the oil pan, right? Or is the pump between the pan and the filter? I drained at least 5 quarts out of it before opening the filter cap, so I know that it's eventually getting back down there.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #76
Knoxes
Private
Rep

I'm buying a 08 535i for a commuter and parking the Z. Does the 535 have the same motor as the Z?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #77
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

According to this wiki page, no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_...Petrol_engines
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #78
vm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
I'm buying a 08 535i for a commuter and parking the Z. Does the 535 have the same motor as the Z?
Very different. The 535 has the n54, which is a biturbo engine with aluminum block. Z4 is n52, normally aspirated with magnesium-aluminum block. The 08 528 has a very similar engine to the Z4.
Appreciate 0