ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Hard Pull

Hi guys, my 03 z4 2.5i is pulling hard to the right when I quickly brake. It's very sharp feeling almost like something is loose and binding. Is it a sticking caliper? Kinda doesn't feel right for that. Maybe some kind of joint? Ideas would be greatly appreciated, going to dig in this weekend. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

'03? Your front control arm bushing is shot, allowing the control arm to deflect more on one side as the torque of the brakes forces the right side control arm to angle inward, creating massive toe-out.

If a caliper is sticking it would pull at all times.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
'03? Your front control arm bushing is shot, allowing the control arm to deflect more on one side as the torque of the brakes forces the right side control arm to angle inward, creating massive toe-out.

Now that you say that that's what it is for sure. I remember at the last oil change they mentioned it was on its way out. Sounds like the time is now. I'll get the stuff ordered. Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That isn't exactly true if its only sometimes sticking especially if it just sticks for a second under harder braking, i seen it happen quite a few times when i was a tech and customers neglected their vehicles. But yes it may most likely be a front arm going out.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin View Post
That isn't exactly true if its only sometimes sticking especially if it just sticks for a second under harder braking, i seen it happen quite a few times when i was a tech and customers neglected their vehicles. But yes it may most likely be a front arm going out.
I really don't think that's what it is. The brakes were done about 2k miles ago and everything was working perfectly. The previous did let the car go to crap so I'm slowly learning of all the things it needs. Doing the oil filter housing gasket today. Luckily I love working on this car so when things go wrong I don't complain much.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I really don't think that's what it is. The brakes were done about 2k miles ago and everything was working perfectly. The previous did let the car go to crap so I'm slowly learning of all the things it needs. Doing the oil filter housing gasket today. Luckily I love working on this car so when things go wrong I don't complain much.
whatever you do if your upgrading to better parts maybe more track ready, do it now so you don't pay twice!
Appreciate 0