ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #23
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

It's all about Contrast. Certain cars need matte black, certain gloss, certain a combination. In reality for a car that's tracked (as all of the above are/where) black is only logicial.

Last I checked the M stood for Motorsports, what bothers me worse than black wheels ever could is seeing clean silver/chrome/gunmetal wheels on a car that has never, and will never see the track where it belongs.
      07-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Well I would agree that any M car which has never seen the track where it belongs is indeed a tragic thing, regardless of what color the wheels are.

If you have matte black wheels so that it LOOKS as if you just came from the track, but if fact you've never even been to a track, then that just screams "poser".
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #25
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
I have to agree with AnalogDan. At a glance, unless you stop and focus on them, black wheel do look like the cheap stamped steel wheels that some people buy to mount winter tires on, or alternatively they look like your plastic wheel covers have fallen off. Also, if you do have low profile tires, that fact is somewhat lost due to the lack of contrast, unless you take a moment to focus on the wheel. This is especially true at a fleeting glance, as a car is going by or in low light conditions. When the wheel well is filled with a big flat black blob, the car could be running 65 series tires for all I know.

For those of us who have been car guys since the early 80's or before, will recall that being able to even buy aftermarket performance oriented wheels that come in a black finish is a relatively new thing; look at the ads in the back of any Car and Driver mag before 1999 and just try and find a wheel that looks like that.

Perhaps they are more popular today because there is a whole new generation of 20-something people who dont associate that to wheels where the hub cap/ wheel cover fell off, because not that many cars now come with plastic wheel covers. Even cheapo Kias have 1 piece alloy wheels.

Funny how things change...

Actually you are incorrect. Black wheels have been a fad since the late 1980s. How do I know? I was into black wheels back then and I am in my mid 30s now. I had black wheels on my cars and my integra from 1992. Thats 19 year ago. So at least two decades but I am not going to argue those facts.

Comes down to what Cmark said. As long as the wheel looks good on the car, black or silver will do just fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #26
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDan View Post
And your comment, on the other hand, was worthwhile. Thanks for it.
It was an opinion...just like this whole thread.

No problem, figured I'd provide my insight towards worthless bandwidth
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmark8 View Post
To each its own. I like black wheels, I like silver wheels, I love mag blue wheels. I like 'em all as long as the wheel is good looking and suits the car.
^This
Then
/Close Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #28
AnalogDan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
The Supra had CCW Classics. To most these are timeless.

I'm not familiar with their history, but I really dislike them in that picture. They do look like track wheels there, though. In the first picture, from all I could tell, they were just small, crappy aftermarket wheels (since I couldn't see them well).

Quote:
It's all about Contrast. Certain cars need matte black, certain gloss, certain a combination. In reality for a car that's tracked (as all of the above are/where) black is only logicial.

Last I checked the M stood for Motorsports, what bothers me worse than black wheels ever could is seeing clean silver/chrome/gunmetal wheels on a car that has never, and will never see the track where it belongs.
Well, I have ceramic brake pads, gunmetal wheels, I keep my car in the garage, and I wash it when it gets dirty. So, my car is almost always clean, but that doesn't mean it doesn't go to the track as well.

The cars that most often have black wheels are Hondas and Toyotas. I probably see a Civic sedan with black wheels every single day. It's probably the most common aftermarket part for those kinds of cars. And unless someone takes his or her 4 door, non-Si Civic to the track, I don't think it's fair to assume that black wheels are indicative of a car that gets tracked.

But I get your point. Our cars are meant to be driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
It was an opinion...just like this whole thread.

No problem, figured I'd provide my insight towards worthless bandwidth
You're the only one wasting bandwidth here. If you haven't noticed, this thread has turned into a completely legitimate conversation about cars, except for your comments. I'm especially enjoying the pictures of good-looking cars with black wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #29
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

Quote:

Ironically, One love, we are from the same town... need to get togther my M coupe will be here in about 9 days... in the mean time I agree with this statement.

Sad thing is I think I started this "whole black or no black thing" with my thread...http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556039

...always fun to hear everyones opinion!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #30
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d View Post
Ironically, One love, we are from the same town... need to get togther my M coupe will be here in about 9 days... in the mean time I agree with this statement.

Sad thing is I think I started this "whole black or no black thing" with my thread...http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556039

...always fun to hear everyones opinion!
I live downtown in the Vue, don't go to many meets here other than cars and coffee but most weekends can find me at the kart track or on a road course.
      07-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #31
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
even more bmw boy racer.

I resemble this remark :

But I'm not a fan of black wheels either (and I still struggle with the idea the OP spent more than 20% of the car's value on wheels). With any luck, I'll break even on my silver VB3s when I sell these...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #32
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I live downtown in the Vue, don't go to many meets here other than cars and coffee but most weekends can find me at the kart track or on a road course.
got a picture of your car? I have been to cars and coffee in heathrow, is that the one you are reffering to? I have only ever seen one z4M coupe there. I lived downtown in the Solaire about 3 years ago, got a friend that still lives there named Spyro, he has an M5, talked about going out with cfl bmw club, only been out with them once about 5 years ago when I had my 3 series... apparently now its gets crazy with those guys...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #33
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I resemble this remark :

But I'm not a fan of black wheels either (and I still struggle with the idea the OP spent more than 20% of the car's value on wheels). With any luck, I'll break even on my silver VB3s when I sell these...
Sadly I fell into that group in terms of spending, but it was well worth it to get a quality, lightweight wheel that looks good. Funny thing is I think I have more fun on my 1K Black Apex wheels (also black) with sticky tires on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d View Post
got a picture of your car? I have been to cars and coffee in heathrow, is that the one you are reffering to? I have only ever seen one z4M coupe there. I lived downtown in the Solaire about 3 years ago, got a friend that still lives there named Spyro, he has an M5, talked about going out with cfl bmw club, only been out with them once about 5 years ago when I had my 3 series... apparently now its gets crazy with those guys...
See Above. White Z4M on HRE C20s. There's really only 2 active Z4M's in town in terms of Moded, John from PSI (O-Cha on here) has a red one and myself. Yes Cars and Coffee in Heathrow, I haven't been in a couple of months because of track events. I hang with the CFBMW guys, but normally only at their big runs, Rolex, Sebring,etc.
      07-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #34
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

OP: Look at these "dark blobs"

Glad your opinion needed a whole thread...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #35
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDan View Post
Why I hate black wheels:

It doesn't matter how much you spent on them, or how cool they are, they end up disappearing and looking like steelies.

The wheels have no intrinsic contrast. They're just dark blobs, and when you put them on a dark car, the entire car becomes a dark blob.

Gunmetal is a good middle ground, in my opinion. They're dark but still have contrast, they look more aggressive than traditional wheel colors, and they look subtly aftermarket without looking boy racer.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion.
Have to say I'm probably in the minority who understands 100% where you're coming from.

I get black wheels from the low maintenance perspective (brake dust? what brake dust?) but they don't look right on most vehicles IMO. Seems like there's a certain virtue associated with being "aftermarket" or "custom" and black wheels are in most cases an obvious non-OEM choice. But to me they've never looked right on most cars.

Black wheels with a machined lip tend to work better for me. I think the contrast is key. My girlfriend has a GTI with the black Bremmer Kraft BR05 wheels and I gotta admit, they look pretty tight.

There are some super aggressive cars like Lambos that pull off all-black wheels pretty well, but I don't know if Lambos are all that classy to begin with. (Wouldn't turn one down, though...)

I've also never cared for the look of CCW Classics, Work VS, or any of those stepped-lip designs. They makes a large wheel look small, which kind of defeats the point for me.

But as with all things aesthetic, different strokes for different folks. Remember the SICK BMW license plate? That worked for someone, somehow.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #36
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I've also never cared for the look of CCW Classics, Work VS, or any of those stepped-lip designs. They makes a large wheel look small, which kind of defeats the point for me.
As you said, different strokes and all. To me, the stepped-lip designs are what work best with different colored centers and the smaller-looking effect makes larger wheels that are required for brake kits and such not look cartoonish on cars that pre-date today's larger wheel openings. Black- or gold-centered CCWs with polished lips would look great in 18" or 19" on my Z3, for instance, which was designed to look good with 16s and 17s.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #37
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
to each his own, it's completely subjective anyway. If someone thinks something looks good or doesn't look good that's fine. If you put black wheels on your car and you like the way they look that's great! All that matters is that you like them. I personally like the way my stock aluminum alloys look.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #38
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurto View Post
I personally like the way my stock aluminum alloys look.
You have seen the 'Why I hate stock aluminum alloys, but only on Roadsters' thread, haven't you ....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #39
biped
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 e38, 01 e38, 07 z4mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurto View Post
to each his own, it's completely subjective anyway. If someone thinks something looks good or doesn't look good that's fine. If you put black wheels on your car and you like the way they look that's great! All that matters is that you like them. I personally like the way my stock aluminum alloys look.
Actually, to a degree you are right, but there is an emerging study from neurosciences as what constitutes good 'art', and some of the principles can be applied here. Mostly about the detail of aesthetics and symmetry, mind you I don't think it will provide a prediction that either choice of wheel colour is superior or correct. But its fun to think about nonetheless.

And it gives you good weaponry to tackle topics like 'Bangle Era' or that dude in the neighbourhood with fuzzy dice, velour and 24 inch wheels on his 78 Monte Carlo.

I rocked a EG Civic coupe SI with black spoon wheels for a bit, it was a fun car, glad I could enjoy the experience. Haters seem to miss out on a lot of potential fun for this reason.

And no matter how ugly you think it is, its still not as ugly as your hater faces.. Hey its just an opinion right, we are entitled. Changing wheels is cheaper than cosmetic surgery.

FTR, I don't have black wheels anymore, on any of the cars, nor do I think it would fit them.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #40
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
OP: Look at these "dark blobs"

I'd invalidate this argument on two grounds. One, these cars are like the supermodels of the car world and can pull off looks that typically won't work on lesser, more frumpy cars, and two, these are the cars being emulated and they were designed to work this look unlike most cars you see it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biped View Post
And no matter how ugly you think it is, its still not as ugly as your hater faces.. Hey its just an opinion right, we are entitled. Changing wheels is cheaper than cosmetic surgery.
Ah, yes, this sort of thing, like face piercing and purple hair, is a sign of a pure and noble spirit willing to stand proud against society's stodgy conventions. Fight the power! Don't let the man keep you down!

I wish you a long and healthy life - one long enough to realize that so many such youthful stances are simply bad taste and poor judgement.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #41
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Personally, I like round wheels. Squares and ellipses just don't work very well. Eff the color - if you like a particular color, go for it. Its your car!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #42
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Personally, I like round wheels. Squares and ellipses just don't work very well. Eff the color - if you like a particular color, go for it. Its your car!
I hate pink wheels, I really do
      07-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #43
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sadly I fell into that group in terms of spending, but it was well worth it to get a quality, lightweight wheel that looks good. Funny thing is I think I have more fun on my 1K Black Apex wheels (also black) with sticky tires on them.

See Above. White Z4M on HRE C20s. There's really only 2 active Z4M's in town in terms of Moded, John from PSI (O-Cha on here) has a red one and myself. Yes Cars and Coffee in Heathrow, I haven't been in a couple of months because of track events. I hang with the CFBMW guys, but normally only at their big runs, Rolex, Sebring,etc.
Onelove, I just found out today that earliest the car will be here will be Friday of next week, so it should be just in time for cars and coffee. I am definitely going to try and make it, is there a link to a forum or a site for our local C&C? I heard it was always on the last weekend day of the month, is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #44
bmwZ
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i ESS

Black or silver looks the best?
Attached Images

Last edited by bmwZ; 07-12-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0