ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Long term storage questions

OK. so the time is drawing near that I'm heading over to Korea for a year and cannot bring my baby with me. She'll be flying out to Italy to meet me there next year though, that's why I'm not getting rid of her.

She'll be up in Dallas at the Aerial Port place that ships cars overseas. Since it's not a personal stoarge unit I won't be able to do a lot of things I had read about (like stuffing the pipes with copper, draining fluid vs not draining, etc). Just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of that is in my power to control while it's in their garage for a year, not being driven or anything.

Any military/ex-mil that has ever done this??

Thanks in advance all!!
      07-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

YE are a better man than I. Well, the short of it is I have only let mine be out of commission for 6-8 months while on assignments in China...but had full control on conditions at home. LOTS done then to leave it behind, re: battery tender, padding and special cover, some silicon moisture drawing packets inside, flat stoppers for tires etc. You are a daring man for leaving it behind for that long. I suspect they will not keep battery tenders on cars, or ruin it if they did. That is one main thing: computer will run that battery down and you will lose a lot etc.

I also suspect you have gone thru all the alternatives; but it would be nice to find a place trusted here to keep it secure, covered and tended, and then find small alternative transport there--the storage, loading, someone else driving it, potential door bang-ups and battery issues place me in a much lesser manly category than you. Sorry for no other counsel--this is a tough one, and hopefully others have done it with no angst to pay for later.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
YE are a better man than I. Well, the short of it is I have only let mine be out of commission for 6-8 months while on assignments in China...but had full control on conditions at home. LOTS done then to leave it behind, re: battery tender, padding and special cover, some silicon moisture drawing packets inside, flat stoppers for tires etc. You are a daring man for leaving it behind for that long. I suspect they will not keep battery tenders on cars, or ruin it if they did. That is one main thing: computer will run that battery down and you will lose a lot etc.

I also suspect you have gone thru all the alternatives; but it would be nice to find a place trusted here to keep it secure, covered and tended, and then find small alternative transport there--the storage, loading, someone else driving it, potential door bang-ups and battery issues place me in a much lesser manly category than you. Sorry for no other counsel--this is a tough one, and hopefully others have done it with no angst to pay for later.
Yeah I am a little wary on giving it to them, but i really have no other option if i want to keep THIS car. And if I want an M Coupe it's either this one or pay whatever 4-7 years down the road. or get a euro spec one...then i'd have to get it americanized anyway so.......yeah.

Battery tenders. do they stay on the battery the entire time? how do they work?

Silicone packets good idea. thanks!

I'll be taking plenty of pictures of the car and what's there already and DEFINITELY claim whatever they fuck up. hoping they won't, but i doubt they'll take care of it and not see it jsut as another car to store and ship...
      07-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Just curious how much will it cost to store for 1 year? There's nobody you trust to maintain it for a year (I'll will) then will ship it to you when the time comes?

Yes battery tenders plug into the battery and turns off/on automatically to keep the battery topped off.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep

There ya go...santov has made you an offer. I still think you would be ahead if you found someone stateside to take care of it...other than strangers, and if you are set on having it there, and can afford the storage and shipping its going to take at a "strange" place, then pay someone you might find etc that cares.

Yes on the batt tender...you leave it hooked up and it works wonders. BUT if they unplug it, or leave on the fender...or whatever you are at risk. I cannot imagine any place who really does not know you or the car, will make sure for one year that thing stays plugged in...just my personal para I guess.

You did not say: if after a year you want it shipped, it appears you are there for much longer. If it was just a year...then store safe with someone and find Korean transport. If longer, then yes you have an issue. If you let the car go, you will have difficulty finding one for sure upon return...but they are out there. Picx will surely help...can you pay for extra protection, private cubicle etc? Money talks...but even then its often a worry. BUT its an option they may offer...especially if they know you are taking pixs...and asking them to sign an agreement with YOU, re: condition that they agree to before you hand over keys. Its like a detailer, taking pics and getting a signed agreement before significant work is done, so owner cannot claim you scratched the car while it was in your shop care. Maybe they will do that, sending a signal, you are not kidding about the care of this car. Bests to you on this...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I definitely leave the tender on.. but it still needs to be monitor also.. sometimes these devices goes haywire and gives you problem..
      07-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I really appreciate the offer santov and I WILL Keep that in mind, but the miltary stores it for free (for me at least) so i'm paying nothing out of my pocket. I've been to this place before and it's like on large warehouse, so no private cubicles or anything. IDK if there's someon I could pay to get "special" attention re: battery tender. That's the only thing i'm worried about is leaving it on there and no one notices until my car has caught fire. But even THEN i run into the issue that this place most likely won't even let me leave anything like that in the car. They shipped my wife's car to England and it couldn't even have floor mats in it...so yeah. I'm going to invest in a nice padded cover at the very minimum.

There's the usual few rock chips up front, nothing major so it's not like the paint is pristine or anything, just dont' want anything major to happen to it. It boils down to Idon't have an option, really, to store it so i'm at the whim of selling or dealing with what they give me. I AM, however, going to ask the people here on base if there's a private storage company that can take care of it and get it to the port on time for shipment.

I just hate being out of control of something like that. BUT regardless, I'll be in Italy so I can't complain TOO much I guess...

I'll try to keep this thread updated for future questions that may arise by another member down the road, and for anyone else interested lurking this thread.

Thanks again so far for the ideas. I REALLY appreciate the offer santov and I might be in touch...
      07-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
You did not say: if after a year you want it shipped, it appears you are there for much longer. If it was just a year...then store safe with someone and find Korean transport. If longer, then yes you have an issue. If you let the car go, you will have difficulty finding one for sure upon return...but they are out there. Picx will surely help...can you pay for extra protection, private cubicle etc? Money talks...but even then its often a worry. BUT its an option they may offer...especially if they know you are taking pixs...and asking them to sign an agreement with YOU, re: condition that they agree to before you hand over keys. Its like a detailer, taking pics and getting a signed agreement before significant work is done, so owner cannot claim you scratched the car while it was in your shop care. Maybe they will do that, sending a signal, you are not kidding about the care of this car. Bests to you on this...
The car is staying in Dallas while I'm in Korea and then they'll ship it to Italy when I PCS to Italy. So once it's at the port, it's in their control.

As said above I will be asking around for private storage and other options. Thanks so much!
      07-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I don't think anyone mentioned it but full tank of gas + sta-bil is a great idea. I would also go ahead and put all fresh fluids: coolant, brake, oil, clutch, etc. and then refresh them all again after you get it out of storage.

I'd also clean the interior/exterior until it's spotless. If you have the option of putting it up on jack stands so your tires/bushings/etc. don't have compression that would be good too.
      07-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned it but full tank of gas + sta-bil is a great idea. I would also go ahead and put all fresh fluids: coolant, brake, oil, clutch, etc. and then refresh them all again after you get it out of storage.

I'd also clean the interior/exterior until it's spotless. If you have the option of putting it up on jack stands so your tires/bushings/etc. don't have compression that would be good too.
A) you answered my question perfectly (well one of them). I was back and forth about fluids since I'd be changing them when I recieve the car anyway.

B) I plan on doing an in-and-out detailing like i've never done before. I've got the exterior detail down pat with the wash, polish, sealant, wax, etc. but yeah, thanks! The jack stand thing is something I will be sure to ask. I just bought these V12's in April and they only have maybe 3K and one track day on them so they're not old. Any expense now that can save me money down the road is ok in my book!
      07-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yup on the need to find someone to monitor that tender. It will not burn anything up as much as having someone say..."hey Chuck, whats this extension cord doing out of supply and running into this bay for--I told you guys not to do that." AND Chuck runs in to unplug the thing. Thats my worry.

Jack stands...great idea suggested, if they will allow you to do that. Be aware tho, not everyone knows HOW to jack it back up to get those things out of there and car back on the ground. YOU doing it before you ship out is one thing--having ol' Chuck do it a year from now, may be another thing. AND my guess it won't be the Chuck you talked to...but someone who will not know where to put the jack and what points can take the load to get it up and off those stands. Be cautious on this item...great idea, if you can make sure they know HOW and WHERE to jack this great car up. For example most guys would put the rear jack point center on the diff, and that is a no-no. Jacking the rear is just aft of the diff on the brace bar joining point. Just educmacate [zkeeper's Dictionary] SOMEone so they know. I know the pain my friend, I know the pain. China looms out there for me yet. Bests on your planning...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I think you can even throw a smoke detector and get one of those industrial low discharge battery and leave it in the car.. someone might notice beeping if theres a fire from the inside
      07-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The main thing about the battery tender is I honestly don't think I can keep it in the car, period. Money DOES talk and the people are fairly good about taking care of the military folk...BUT...ya know.

Trying to get a few other things sorted if possible at the moment.
      07-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

What ever you do, DO NOT leave anything of value in the car when you ship it overseas.....anything that is not locked down, will be taken.....when my family was stationed in Germany, they took the first aid kit, warning triangle, etc....these cars are not locked, so everything will get pilfered.

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #15
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
What ever you do, DO NOT leave anything of value in the car when you ship it overseas.....anything that is not locked down, will be taken.....when my family was stationed in Germany, they took the first aid kit, warning triangle, etc....these cars are not locked, so everything will get pilfered.

yeah, that's like the very first thing we get told when dealing wiht shipping cars overseas. lol i've heard horror stories about speakers/subs getting stolen, even headunits, spare tires, stuff like that. sucks.
      07-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^todd, must be quite a lot of things going on to prepare for korea right now. maybe u could leave ur car with bill in austin as i'm sure he'd be more than happy to look after the car for u (and keep the engine in awesome running order at tt haha). i'm relocating to randolph but am not sure what happens after tt so i'm sorry i can't offer to look after ur m. i'd definitely get a car cover though if it's going in storage and being shipped to germany next year, and maybe instead of battery tender just look to swap batteries again?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #17
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

thanks matt! yeah i had thought about getting a new battery, but i'm going to call the guys up there tomorrow and see if i'm able to have a tender or how thye treat cars that are there for a year.
      07-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #18
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
haha. Wish I had the space to keep your M in my garage. hmm.. I'll talk with Wendy next few days and see if there is something we can do to help.. - PM response sent also...

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #19
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
The car is staying in Dallas while I'm in Korea and then they'll ship it to Italy when I PCS to Italy. So once it's at the port, it's in their control.

As said above I will be asking around for private storage and other options. Thanks so much!
Hmm I recall a buddy of mine an Army CW3 who was PCSing to Germany in 07 or 08 who had a nice collection of Porsches and just bought a Cayenne and he told me he'd stored his cars longer term over many deployments/tours and had no problems. In fact I believe it was at military expense a few times as they're required to do so. He never had any problems and I believe that they are required as part of their bidding contract to maintain the vehicles to the manufacturers recommended standards for storage and perform all actions as stated from them/BMW/Porsche/etc. SO investigage this a little more as you shouldn't have to sell your car just because of orders....many do just for the ease and convience of the move and to minimized the pain and hassle of moving it and storing it but its not your only option (i.e. sell the car or maintain it below standards)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
The main thing about the battery tender is I honestly don't think I can keep it in the car, period. Money DOES talk and the people are fairly good about taking care of the military folk...BUT...ya know.

Trying to get a few other things sorted if possible at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
^todd, must be quite a lot of things going on to prepare for korea right now. maybe u could leave ur car with bill in austin as i'm sure he'd be more than happy to look after the car for u (and keep the engine in awesome running order at tt haha). i'm relocating to randolph but am not sure what happens after tt so i'm sorry i can't offer to look after ur m. i'd definitely get a car cover though if it's going in storage and being shipped to germany next year, and maybe instead of battery tender just look to swap batteries again?
Wish I could help you out but my garage and driveway are full now! Just recently added a sport bike and my wife would kill me even if it were just to babysit! LOL If you can find someone and space one thing I did do with my e92 M3 in 08 was to buy a solar power battery tender and then run it to the battery posts. Then I bought a very good car cover custom fitted good for UV/heat/Sun/rain/ice/any type of weather and put it in my drive and used bungie tie downs to secure the solar panel to my trunk. It charged my car for the length of my deployment 08-09 about 4.5 months and my wife got the duty of master car cover minder and battery tender and holder of the great ignition key and start button pusher every 2-3 weeks! Came home and car started fine...of course it was only about a lil short of 5 months but you're not the 1st to ever be in this position...any guys/gals in your unit can help you out? There's gotta be an anwser other than SELL the car or poorly maintain it! Rob
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0