ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Skull Leader
Registered
Rep
Drives: Stock '03 2.5 Z4

Helene Performance Air Filter?

Could someone school me on the Streamline™ SE panel filter found on this website?

http://www.heleneperformance.com/products.htm

I heard this was one of the better air filters, has anyone had any experience with this product?

Also there is this graph on the web page

Could someone interpret this for me? What type of advantages can I see with this on my 2.5?

First Post.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

From the website it looks like a drop-in filter or a cone filter replacement for your existing intake. The chart is basically saying that their filters are less restrictive and flow better. Looks like a chart I could make in excel in 2 minutes, imo drop-in filters are placebo. BMW spent enough money designing the engine and intake to work with what it has that you should just leave the drop in filter or ditch the entire intake all together.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 02:38 AM   #3
mister_roger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Maldives Blue 2.5i

I actually noticed a bit of a differenc when i dropped in my helene performance filter. throttle response was a bit peppier, with noticible torque gains. my old filter was pretty dirty. But now, after having the filter in for a few months, i don't really notice the difference. I guess I have gotten used to it now. But nevertheless, it is worth the extra money.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I always wonder about the scrubbing efficiency of high flow air filters.
If more air is getting through..... just how much extra particulate is also getting through?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Furstration
NOGGIN WATCHER
Rep
Drives: 11 135 and X3

I've never been one to take a chance with my engine based on semi guesses and "maybe" some advantage... Same for the car and the Moto... I hear folks say "race filter gets me 1-2 more HP" and I just grin...

The bigger question isn't what flows more Air. It's weather or not your car will use more Air in the first place. Unless you're engine is bumped, the engineers with cars like ours shure as hell make the intake and filter choice one that flows more air than is used generally.

No higher end auto company would try and scrimp on HP figures they get to publish for the sake of saving penies on a filter spec.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Waldorf
Black Opps field agent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i M

Garage List
the Helene filter is identical to a K&N and the main benefit is that you can easily clean it as often as you want and it's like new.

on the other hand, foam filters are both, less restrictive than paper and cloth (K&N) filters, filter better (safer) and are cleanable. That's why they are fitted as standard on dirt bikes but can be bought as aftermarket parts for road bikes and cars. They are also the only type of filter used by WRC teams and most professional racing teams.

ITG is a leader in foam filters
http://www.itgairfilters.com/content...ection=trifoam
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
Yal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 2.5 Maldives Blue

I believe the Helene filter seals better. It is a VERY tight fit. I get better throttle performance out of mine. Some people get better mileage.