ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #67
CT-Scott
Rep
Drives: Lexus SC430

Just popping back in. The 2009+ Z4's w/MT have been pretty nonexistent on CarMax (and local BMW dealerships) lately, so I haven't been able to move on anything yet. The extra time has also given me some extra time to get better acquainted with things, and I'm now wondering if I should be giving a 3-series hardtop convertible some consideration. I love the look of the Z4, whereas the 3-series looks a little boring to me these days. Side note: my brother has a 3-series hardtop convertible (I forget the model).

That said, I did find a 2011 335is convertible for sale and then did some Googling to see if anyone happened to compare this particular model with a Z4. That then led me to some BMW forum posts where folks seemed to unanimously recommend the 335is over the Z4. That was probably a 3-series forum, so I figured I'd ask the same question here.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #68
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Scott View Post
Just popping back in. The 2009+ Z4's w/MT have been pretty nonexistent on CarMax (and local BMW dealerships) lately, so I haven't been able to move on anything yet. The extra time has also given me some extra time to get better acquainted with things, and I'm now wondering if I should be giving a 3-series hardtop convertible some consideration. I love the look of the Z4, whereas the 3-series looks a little boring to me these days. Side note: my brother has a 3-series hardtop convertible (I forget the model).

That said, I did find a 2011 335is convertible for sale and then did some Googling to see if anyone happened to compare this particular model with a Z4. That then led me to some BMW forum posts where folks seemed to unanimously recommend the 335is over the Z4. That was probably a 3-series forum, so I figured I'd ask the same question here.
FWIW,
If you're looking at the '09+ (E89), you will get better feedback in the E89 forum.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #69
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Reading thought your thread, you really do seem to overthink things, seeing as you started this thread 3 years ago and you still haven't pulled the trigger, it'll probably along time before you end up with something. It seems as though you have difficulty making discussions on your own and that's why you are asking others to make up your mind for you on both car and transmission type.

With that said, the E85 and E89 have little in common as far as drive and feel besides the Z4 badge, so asking about a E89 in a E85/86 forum are going to give you mixed results. Maybe you should be talking with with the E89 folks?
Quote:
I thought this was a general Z4 thread, non-model-year specific. Is that not the case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Here's the E89 specific forum http://e89.zpost.com/forums/
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
FWIW,
If you're looking at the '09+ (E89), you will get better feedback in the E89 forum.
I don't think CT-Scott takes good advice from others.
Appreciate 2
inTgr8r2425.50
Efthreeoh17300.00
      05-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #70
CT-Scott
Rep
Drives: Lexus SC430

Sorry, I heard the prior advice...but it seemed wrong to me to post in a "more specific" thread when I haven't narrowed my choice down to a specific model yet. But if you think that the folks following the E89 forum will also be more knowledgeable about other recent-model BMW's (like the 2011 335is), maybe I'll give that a go.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #71
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Sorry, I heard the prior advice...but it seemed wrong to me to post in a "more specific" thread when I haven't narrowed my choice down to a specific model yet. But if you think that the folks following the E89 forum will also be more knowledgeable about other recent-model BMW's (like the 2011 335is), maybe I'll give that a go.
I suggest you then go over to the E90 Forum. Gobs of information on everything E9X. 325i, 328i, 330i, 335i, sedans (E90), Wagons (E91), Coupes (E92), and.... Convertables (E93).

It's a fair statement to say the twin-turbo sixes (N54) are not the most reliable of machines. The twin-scroll N55 engine is a bit more reliable.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #72
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:

A really nice car. Make sure the high pressure fuel pumps have been solid or have been replaced with redesigned ones and you should be good I think.
Appreciate 0