ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
ssmtsx
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 328i

What to look for on a low mileage 03?

Hi, I was wondering what everyone opinions would be on an 03 3.0l with only 22k miles? I met with the owner this evening and the car looks pretty good. She is going to take it to the local bmw dealer so that I can have a PPI done. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? The car spent most of its life ina garage but its definetly been outside for a little while now. There are no maintence records and the sticker in the windshield shows the last oil change was due in December of 2015. I'm sure it's been close to two years since the oil has been changed. Thanks for any help/advice.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #2
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
the roof motor.(that's a huge one!)
good luck.
      06-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

What type of transmission does it have? The BMW manual and automatic transmissions are reliable but I've seen folks comment about problems with the sequential manual gearbox (SMG) transmissions. There is a pump unit involved that can cause issues and is expensive to replace.

If the car still has its original tires, those have to be replaced right away owing to age.

I would insist on being present when the local dealer does the PPI so you can observe the work and speak first hand to the tech who looks at the car. If issues are found, you can get a much better understanding of whether they are minor or serious, and if the cost to fix are acceptable or not.

And please let us know what happens!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 06-08-2017 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
ssmtsx
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
What type of transmission does it have? The BMW manual and automatic transmissions are reliable but I've seen folks comment about problems with the sequential manual gearbox (SMG) transmissions.

If the car still has its original tires, those have to be replaced right away owing to age.

I would ask to be present when the local dealer does the PPI so you can observe and speak first hand to the tech who looks at the car. If issues are found, you can get a much better understanding of whether they are minor or serious, and if the cost to fix are acceptable or not.
It's a manual..I will try to get to the dealer while they're are doing the PPI. Shes just going to drop it off and give them my information. Hopefully they will call soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Just an FYI but I believe the 03's were pre wired for most options, so retrofits should be easy depending on how the car was spec'd
Appreciate 0