ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
71amx
Rep
Drives: 2003 bmw z4

Question on a Z4 I am looking at

Hi I am new to the forum. I am currently looking at a Z4 for my wife as she has always wanted a small convertible to tool around in the summer time. I am into muscle cars and jeeps so BMWs are a bit new to me. Here is my question.

A family friend has a 2003 2.5I Z4 he bought new. It only has 14K original miles on it. Its a 5 speed with the sport pkg, cd changer, telescoping wheel, dual power leather seats, Bi Xenon headlamps, power top and appears to have just about every option a 2.5 can have. It is the darker grey color and is new in every aspect. He changed the oil every year even though he wasn't putting hardly any miles on it. He even put new run flats on it this year as he thought even though the tires were in perfect condition, they were the originals and might need to be replaced just due to age. He just had the dealer check everything over on it and replaced the battery as it was getting weak. It has always been kept in a climate controlled garage and has never really seen anything other sunny days. He let us take it Monday night and I have driven around town and on the highway. No rattles, shakes or leaks. Steering is tight, right is nice and it idles smooth.

I have seen a bunch out there for sale but most are in the 70-140K miles range. I haven't found one this new and nice (I mean there is not a scratch on it and it still smells new inside). What is a reasonable price for this and my second question is there a good resource for upgrades to it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Use search to find upgrades or look through the forum topics on motor etc. but there aren't as many tuning or upgrade options compared to other cars. Plus what there is, is expensive. The 2.5i won't be setting any records for speed.

Sounds like the car is in good shape but is the entry level model (2.5 5 speed) so don't overpay. I think $8,000 - 12,000 is more than reasonable; given the age, model and condition. Look at autotrader to be certain and compare. It's not a collector car by any means so low mileage doesn't necessarily make up for its age.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If you can negotiate a good price as noted above, the fact that its not the fastest Z4 may not be relevant for the purposes of cruising around and enjoying a convertible. After all, it is still a BMW inline 6 under the hood. I've got a 255 hp 3.0si that rivals a Z4M up to 60 mph and I rarely get to wind the car out in around-town driving.

The weak spot on these cars is the power top motor. Check that the roof drains aren't blocked, the roof motor isn't corroded and that the top opens and closes smoothly. Good luck and post some pics if you buy the car!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
... purposes of cruising around and enjoying a convertible. ...
Exactly, depends what you're looking for. It's still a great car, and seems like it has some decent options on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
71amx
Rep

Everything from suspension to body panel fitment is very tight and great example of one. The top works flawlessly. I have been a car guy my whole life and very meticulous with my automobiles. I have 12 older muscle cars/jeeps, I also own a shop that builds them so I tend to be more critical about cars than I would say the average person. This car I would say is a strong 9.8 out of 10. The sport option really does make a difference and the weight to power ratio makes it feel faster than it is but it gets through traffic very well and the acceleration is surprising for the low hp of the 2.5 again I am sure due to the light weight. For my wife, this will be more than enough. It corners very well. I will say though the radio head unit even considering the year is terrible.

I am thinking maybe some nicer wheels and a way to put a bluetooth set up in it without altering the dash. Love the look of the widebody kit for these but $18K and probably another 10K to put it on is way too steep. I am trying to find a tougher looking nose but like someone said, there doesn't appear to be much out there for these which surprised me.

I will post some pics this weekend.

Thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Sounds like the trigger was pulled. Congratulations.

What did you end up throwing at it $???

Here's a website that has a decent selection of options for kits and other parts that might be 4 or 5 figures instead of 6.

https://old.schmiedmann.com/Z_series/z4_e85.htm

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!

Re the nose, common options are the Aero front bumper or an M front bumper. My fave is the M, although it won't accommodate your current foglights. GetBMWParts may still have stock of both bumpers.

There are lots of threads here about new rims so you will have lots of potential choices for your car. A very common choice is the so-called CSL rim, which is a reproduction / copy of the rim used on the M3 CSL (coupe sport lightweight). I guess its so common because it simply looks great on the Z4. I bought a set of these from VMR Wheels last year and got their 718 rim (they have others in this general style). The gang at VMR can advise on specific size / fitment and offset questions. Here are my rims:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294464

and you can find many other suggestions of styles and manufacturers here:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Good luck!!

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
71amx
Rep

So yes, the wife got her mother's day present. Here it is.

Huz, I like the wheels you put on yours in that link. Do they have them in a gun metal/smoked chrome finish?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Wow - the car looks practically brand new! Congrats on the new wheels!

And speaking of new wheels, yes you can get the VMR 718 in a gun metal, hyper silver or matte black finish:

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels/v718/

Brandon at VMR can answer all your questions about recommended tire and rim sizes and offsets for this specific model of Z4.

Appreciate 1
71amx2.50
      05-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
I had that same year/model for 11 years and never had any major problems.(one 02 sensor and a door lock module)

It was a great car.(Mine had different rims though.)

Nice find,enjoy!