ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

1 Week with the M Coupe and other thoughts......

First I want to introduce myself. I am the Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE event chair and instructor. I have owned a BMW of some kind since 2000. Basically since my divorce. (It still pisses her off that I drive one! )

The first car was a 1994 Emerald Green 318i sedan I bought of course used. One bad thing was it was automatic. All in all though it was a great way to start into the BMW world. After a trip to Dallas and a baseball tournament for my son I drove a 1996 Black M3 Coupe. What a turn into the dark side of BMW Motorsports. After driving the 318i for a year I knew I have to have a "M" car. so the quest began.
After a few months I found a 1995 Avus Blue M3 Coupe in Forth Worth, Texas. Let the attention of all the Police and Law Enforcement officers in the area begin! This was a great car. I drove the car for a little over 3 years until another driver decided to turn right into me while hi left blinker was saying left. The complete drivers side from wheel to wheel had to be repaired. Months later I got the car back, Perfect again except I had read many articles about the "REAL M3". I was hooked on the original first one. The new wife wasn't thrilled about the idea, but as she has always said it is "MY" car. So the 95 was sold for the E30 M3.

I found that car in Dallas form a guy that has had about 10 of them over the years. He has since now become one of my best friends along with all of the other E30 M3 guys around Dallas. After 6 years a complete engine rebuild done by myself and the other E30 guys I knew EVERY bolt and nut on that car. Finally I had the perfect car for me, I thought. Everyone including myself thought I would keep the car forever and it was never for sale. But the list of to do things was pretty much complete. I took the car to the track and autocrosses and it was a beast. Easily staying with the E36 M3s and even other cars it wasn't supposed to be in a class with. Then for some reason one something told me inside it was time for something different. Not sure what but I started looking.

I looked at all the "P" car offerings, newer M3's and nothing hit the right spot. I always wanted a M Roadster but i also knew that I couldn't track a convertible in BMWCCA without a complete rollcage. Not a huge fan of the Z3 Coupe but the Z4 M Coupe was another story, would I even fit? After a quick test fit at the clubs latest HPDE and fitting inside easily I was hooked, but the E30 M3 had to be sold first.

A month and a half later the M3 sold and headed to Florida, and member R4GS holding his M Coupe for me to buy the switch began last Friday at 6 am.

I drove the M3 to Dallas to have the new owner pick up and head his way to Florida. A lot of mixed emotions. We head to San Antonio the the M Coupe.

Matthew made the sale of the M Coupe a great experience. I will forever be indebted to him.

One week of owning the M Coupe is like none of the other BMW's I have owned. All of the had made me smile and the E30 M3 stole my heart, but this car is all of them combined. Even more speed than the E36 M3, Better handling than the E30 M3, and don't forget the looks! To me the car is pure sex appeal on steroids. In one week I have have more people comment on the car than any of the other ones. I still go into the garage and can't believe I own the car, I go and look out the window in the office to just look at the car. This car fits me in all areas, like a glove. The 318i was the prefect start, the E36 M3 was the best way into M cars, the E30 M3 it makes you understand BMW's main goal with the Motorsport program it is the SOUL of BMW, the M Coupe is the combination of all the M cars and to me the pinnacle of these cars. Maybe the last great non-turbo M cars that will be produced for a long time. The M Coupe leaves me speechless. I cannot wait for many years to come with this great and amazing car. I hope to become a great spokesperson for the community. Sorry for the long post. Thanks everyone.
Steve

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

you still havnt posted any pics of your new toy....and congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

A few pictures

These are a few I took the other day.
Attached Images

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

CongratZ on the new toy.
& great story that most of us in here can relate to.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

Well spoken! She looks just like mine (as long as you keep her stock). Within the BMWCCA Lone Star Chapter we are now officialy twins! :-)
BTW, I skipped the whole M history and got enthousiastic about the ///M Coupe after reading an article in Roundel back in April 2011. In less than 2 months I found her and parked her in my garage by early June.

What's her production number? That way I can compare options and trim colors.

Here is mine at the recent DE where we met, she's #1528 out of 1815:

Last edited by Rekla; 11-05-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Rekla, Sorry for the stupidity but I am not sure where to find that information

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Our cars production info is compiled on a spreadsheet here....
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386547

Just use your VIN
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I agree about the car fitting like a glove. Its hard to explain to some people, but it was a huge selling point for me
      11-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Great story Tex. This is one of the only cars I've seen where people pour out the love and enunciate their feelings so descriptively. Ownership is awesome, congrats.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Finally found the car:
#293 our of 1815 born on 8/15/06

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
Finally found the car:
#293 our of 1815 born on 8/15/06
#295! our cars were built on the same day with only one between! i had no idea this whole time i knew matt.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Interlagos is the best! I agree, wonderful car in all aspects, and at 6'3, I still don't feel too cramped
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am 6'2" Jophish and absolutely love the car. I never thought I would ever like a car like I did my E30 M3. This car definitely made me change my mind on that. All the reviews and praises that have been said about this car is so true. I have driven all the previous M3's, 1 series, 3 series, 5 series and NOTHING comes close to this car. I honestly can say that if I was offered a NEW 1M to take the place of my M Coupe I would turn the offer down. The M Coupe is by far a better looking car.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Congrats, Excellent Choice and I love that color! Now get some aftermarket cans with pretty pipes. Never did like the original mufflers.
      11-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thats on the list of things to do. they are going to have to quiet though. I had a SuperSprint Race on the E30 M3 and after a year it was driving me crazy.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

It sounds like the car found a great new home! Congrats and welcome to the boards!

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

I miss her
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #18
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Matt I just got through cleaning the trunk opening. Yes I am that anal about the car already. the dust around the hinges and mounting bolts and screws was driving me crazy. Today was the first chance I had to take care of it, now when you open the back its as clean as the outside. Also ordered all new P21S wax, detailer, shampoo. I took her to a local car show last night also and plenty were taking pictures and asking questions about the car, even 2 Hennessey Viper owners were drooling over the car!

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Congratulations! That's quite a journey and story to the Z4M, and like Intrg8r said, something a lot of us can related to. (You have my favorite color BTW.)

R4gs, I know you miss her, but your car certainly did find a good home!

I've owned quite a few cars in my time (as most around here know), and nothing has scratched the itch like the Moupe. It really is something special. My wife figured this out long before me (which, I'm never reminded of ), but as you know the Moupe just has a pull that is undeniable. I finally had no choice but to give in. Lots of us have had similar experiences with compliments and positive attention with this car. Nice isn't it?

On a side note, it's great to have another experienced track junkie on the forum! I'm a noob myself (as is the wife, who is also addicted now), and I've found the perspective, wisdom, and encouragement of many of the much more experienced folks here on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #20
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
Matt I just got through cleaning the trunk opening. Yes I am that anal about the car already. the dust around the hinges and mounting bolts and screws was driving me crazy. Today was the first chance I had to take care of it, now when you open the back its as clean as the outside. Also ordered all new P21S wax, detailer, shampoo. I took her to a local car show last night also and plenty were taking pictures and asking questions about the car, even 2 Hennessey Viper owners were drooling over the car!
i didn't get much attention at the local coffee and rides in san antonio end of every month, it was usually dominated by folks going crazy over the same old gaggle of ferraris and vintage muscle cars with the odd lambo, merc sls or ford gt in there as well. try the klasse products i passed u, they're excellent!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #21
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

I haven't yet, I should get a chance to today, after reading a ton of reviews on it, it seems like a GREAT base to add hi-end carnuba waxes on top of to even add depth to the shine

Last edited by TexasZed4MC; 11-06-2011 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: additions
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #22
wzjra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

Beautiful car! And welcome!
Appreciate 0