ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-02-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
pingpong
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Back to BMW

A few years ago, I had a Z3 M Roadster that, unfortunately, met its demise at the hands of a mindless driver (left turn right into my path). Ever since then, I made my rounds through a bunch of Japanese brands.

Today, however, I come back to BMW in the form of a 2007 Z4 3.0si! I was actually looking at getting a 2010 335i coupe, but I came across an ad for the Z4 with 17k miles at a smokin' deal (5k under KBB private party; ended up being about half of what it stickered for originally!) Fully loaded with every single option available at the time except for the wood trim (but I like the aluminum more anyways). Still has 2 years of warranty left and maintenance, and its in pretty damn good condition (except for some curb rash on one of the wheels ).

There was a fairly low mileage 2006 M Roadster at about the same price, but with an 80 mile commute every day, the supposed 28MPG in the 3.0si won me over.

I'm already planning on getting a windblocker for it (I can't believe BMW didn't include one; even my 88 Mazda RX7 convertible has an integrated windblocker). Anything else I should look into getting/doing?

P.S. One thing I noticed is that if I shift into first at anything higher than 15mph, it feels like it grinds a bit. It's like that in my RX7 too, so I figured it was normal (then again, thats a 21 year old car with 180k miles on it). Is it something I should get checked, or is it fairly normal in all cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
I'm already planning on getting a windblocker for it (I can't believe BMW didn't include one; even my 88 Mazda RX7 convertible has an integrated windblocker). Anything else I should look into getting/doing?
do the windblockers really help?
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

I would have the grind checked at the next service just to be sure. You are under warranty may as well take advantage! Enjoy your new 3.0si!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman1975 View Post
do the windblockers really help?

absolutely! Night and day difference. at 40 degrees F I put the top down, the heat on & the seat warmers on low, and run around all day with a short sleave shirt on. I get lots of weird looks, but what the hell - I'm not driving an ///M Roadster for how I/it looks - I drive it 'cause it's DAMN FUN. the overall ///M Roadster experience is something you have to experience to truly appreciate. FWIW - I've owned Brittish Roadsters for 25 years. No comparison. They're fun in their own way (I still own one), but just not the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
mimsterzx7r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster, 03 Pathfinder

I agree the windblocks do help, I had a mesh windblocker but I upgraded to the acrylic one and I think it works a bit better.

To the OP try the CDV mod, not sure if it will do anything for your grind but 1-2 shifts are much smoother afterwards.

ZHP knob/Zeckhausen CDV/ESS Tune/More to come
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post

P.S. One thing I noticed is that if I shift into first at anything higher than 15mph, it feels like it grinds a bit. It's like that in my RX7 too, so I figured it was normal (then again, thats a 21 year old car with 180k miles on it). Is it something I should get checked, or is it fairly normal in all cars?
you shouldn't... our cars have pretty tall gearing(numerically)

I can accelerate from 15mph in my top gear(5th) all the way to 135, my top speed lol