ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
sirmalloc
code monkey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster Imola/Imola

Bluetooth weirdness

I noticed my bluetooth wasn't pairing while on a roadtrip up to NC yesterday, so I did what I typically do and press the R/T button, which usually shows 'Searching...' on the radio display and pairs with my phone. That didn't do anything, and holding the steering wheel button to normally initiate the voice control isn't working either.

So I went into the list of profiles on my phone, made it forget the device and tried to pair again. Here's where it gets really weird. While the car is completely off, keys removed, if I walk within bluetooth range while discovering devices on my phone, 'BMW89877' shows up in the list. If I walk out of range, it disappears from the list. To me, it seems as if something as 'locked up' the bluetooth module. I searched the various forums and found one suggestion to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. My main concern is I'm on a road trip up in NC right now, away from my normal dealer and kinda in the boonies. I don't want to potentially mess anything else up by disconnecting the battery. Is there any risk to just disconnecting it for 30 minutes or so? Anyone else experience this kind of weirdness with the bluetooth module or have any suggestions for an alternative fix?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Disconnected my battery recently to hook up a DICE Ipod adapter. Had to reset the power seat memory, reinitialize the power windows, reset the clock and radio buttons. No big deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I had the same thing happen recently on a road trip. I un-paired my phone and turned off the car. Searching also stayed on my display for quite a long time. After I turned the car off a few times and waited about 1/2 hour with the car off. I was able to pair my phone again and it has been working ever since. I did find out that if you press the phone button on the left side of the wheel and keep it held the car will talk to you and ask for commands. Never knew that functionality was built into the blue tooth module.
      08-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
sirmalloc
code monkey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster Imola/Imola

Left the car overnight and the bluetooth still wasn't working, so I disconnected the ground from the battery for about a minute, hooked it back up and everything worked just fine.
Appreciate 0