ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Trip to Canada: Advice for the driving and suggestions for sightseening

Hello all,

My best friend is moving to Kelowna, Canada around August and I'm planning to visit him around September (after he moves and does all the hard work ).

I'm currently living in Seattle area and am planning to enter to Canada through Sumas. It is a ~300mile trip (one way). I don't want to drive off of my route too much since the main purpose of the trip is to see my friend and I'll only have the weekend so I want to spend as much time with him as possible. But in the mean time I'd like to know if there is anything I shouldn't miss on my way. Especially landscapes or historic places or any "great roads to drive".

One related question: My oil change is 1250miles away. I won't drive 1250 miles in a month but I'd prefer to have the oil change before the trip. How soon can I take the car for oil change under maintanence plan?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
buddrinker
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 3.0i

why go sumas crossing? I would go accross the mountains from seattle to leavenworth.(old bavarian type town..must see) Very nice drive. Then take 97 north to grande coulee dam. Very nice along the lake. 97 will take you threw osoyos, oliver,ok falls, penticton, summerland, peachland and then kelowna. if you leave early you should make it in one day. Seattle to Vancouver then over the hope princeton is like driving on a free way. there is some nice views that way but its a generally just a fast trip. I personally don't like to drive on boreing freeways. If you just like to take the freeway then take the coke to merritt and then over to peachland then over to kelowna. that would take about about 3 hours from the border. hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
TelfordZ4M
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

I live in Kelowna. Have an 07 MC. I would do what the other poster suggested and drive through the mountains and cross at Orville WA/Osoyoos BC. Once you are in Canada you are in Napa valley of the north. Vineyards, lakes, semi-arid desert. A gorgeous place. Certainly doable in 6-7 hrs, especially in a 'M'. Perhaps take the quick route (Sumas, Coquihalla hwy., hwy. 97C) one way and the 'scenic' route the other way.

If you need advice on places to go, things to see etc once you are in the okanagan valley I'd be happy to help. I've lived here my whole life, 31 yrs.

Enjoy your trip...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Thank you for the suggestions guys! I'll have more time on my way back and I'll definetly use Osoyoos.
Appreciate 0