ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Reflex_nl
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4MC

2006 Z4 Sportpackage yes/no?

Hi,

I was looking for a used 2006 Z4 and someone told me that his Z4 3.0i MTwas equipped with the sportpackage. However I didn't notice a sport button. Can it still have the sportpackage, or maybe only sport suspension?

Thanks,

Reflex.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

nope. if it has the sport package...the button will be there also. also of note...the wheel and tire package will be different...as will the seats. those are the visible indicators.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitmnt94 View Post
also of note...the wheel and tire package will be different...as will the seats.
I thought the option of M sport seats was independent of the Sport package (though admittedly, many who went for one also went for the other).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
I thought the option of M sport seats was independent of the Sport package (though admittedly, many who went for one also went for the other).
I believe that you are correct and they were independent options (I would have to check with the old brochure I have on file when I get home next week for certain) but most people/dealers configured them together. The sport package itself was just the recalibrated suspension, staggered tires/wheels and the sport button on the console.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
I believe that you are correct and they were independent options (I would have to check with the old brochure I have on file when I get home next week for certain) but most people/dealers configured them together. The sport package itself was just the recalibrated suspension, staggered tires/wheels and the sport button on the console.
Correct. When looking for mine, I remember coming across two with the sport suspension and standard seats, the remainder had been dealer ordered with the M seat option. Look at the window sticker (for those who still have it), and you will see the M seats as a separate line item.
      07-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep

yes, correct...the options are independent, however if he has the ///M seats as i did, he has the sport package. there is no way to get the ///M seats w/o sport package.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Reflex_nl
Private
Netherlands
Rep

This car doesn't have the M seats, not the staggered wheels, nor the sportbutton. Still the seller tells me it has sport suspention, how can I check this... (no window sticker available...)

it is an independent option? Check here
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex_NL View Post
This car doesn't have the M seats, not the staggered wheels, nor the sportbutton. Still the seller tells me it has sport suspention, how can I check this... (no window sticker available...)

it is an independent option? Check here
No sport button, no sport package/suspension.

The sport package consists of:
1- 18" wheels with performance tires
2- Sport suspension

As others have said, if you do not have the sport button, you do not have the sport suspension. The sport button is not an optional item, it's part of the sport suspension setup. Note that in the brochure that you linked to it does not list the "sport button" as an optional item, it's only the sport suspension that is an option.
      07-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Reflex_nl
Private
Netherlands
Rep

I'm not worried about the sport button . But I like the sport suspension on a Z4....

During the Z4 test drive the car was pretty stiff and felt somewhat similiar to my 3 series w/ SP.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex_NL View Post
I'm not worried about the sport button . But I like the sport suspension on a Z4....

During the Z4 test drive the car was pretty stiff and felt somewhat similiar to my 3 series w/ SP.
You can always climb under the car and measure the diameter of the sway bars assuming that everything is stock. F: std=24mm sport=25mm R: std=18mm sport=19mm

I don't know for sure, I'm still realitively new to the BMW game, but it might be possible to run the VIN and find how the car was originally setup.
      07-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep

it does not have sport...period. if you want to burn him...you can give me the last 7 of the VIN and i can print out what the car is equipped with. i can then e-mail you the packages and you can supply him with that...and kindly walk to the door...because i cannot stand dishonest dealers. integrity means a lot in this business...if you compromise that...forget about the rest.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

While this car certainly doesn't have the factory installed Sport Package option, it is possible that the sports suspension was installed after the fact (i.e. changing out the springs and swaybars). The only way to tell this is to measure spring rates, ride height and (most easily) sway bar diameter.

But you shouldn't have to go through all that. Unless the dealer can provide you with service records showing the installation of this suspension you should assume the vehicle doesn't have it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
maybe seller just installed sport springs or something aftermarket.
      07-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I have a question that might be a stupid question but here goes. I have a 2006 3.0i roadster with automatic. If I put the stick into the left position, I can manually change the gears. If I leave it in the center position, SD shows up on the dash and the shift points change, along with throttle response and the steering seems to be tighter. The car also does not go into 6th. My car was not listed as having the sport package but I am wondering if it does? Any ideas?
      07-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

My understanding of the Sport package is different wheels & tires (i.e. staggered) and the "sport" button that changes throttle mapping and in automatic versions, the shift mapping. The package lists no mention of "sport suspension", unlike Sport packages in other BMW lines.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
Reflex_nl
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Double check

thx for your comments

I asked Excitmnt94 to check the VIN... I'll let you guys know!

Reflex
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRedOne View Post
My understanding of the Sport package is different wheels & tires (i.e. staggered) and the "sport" button that changes throttle mapping and in automatic versions, the shift mapping. The package lists no mention of "sport suspension", unlike Sport packages in other BMW lines.
correct on the button, staggered setup, etc. but i believe it also has a different suspension b/c the stance is lower. i could be wrong though.
      07-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #18
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep

as i mentioned...not a sport. build sheet e-mailed over to confirm the lack of factory sport package.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #19
Reflex_nl
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Yup, correct. In general no SP and but still sport suspension doesn't seem logical... altough it is possible.

Excitmnt94 thanks for your quick response!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #20
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

In general a Z4 without sports suspension will be firmer then a 3 series with sports suspension.

Many of us here do after market upgrades. I believe you need to confront the dealer. Be up front. If you don't have a sports button the car does not have a BMW sports suspension unless the previous owner upgraded the springs and sway bars on his own. If that is the case I would want to see the supporting paperwork. If the dealer does not have the supporting documents take the car to a BMW dealer and have them check the car out. Anyone trying to sell a car should be willing to let you have a dealer of your choice inspect the vehicle at your cost prior to purchase. If the guy is not willing to do that, run away and run away fast!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #21
leeman
Rep
Drives: 2008 z4m roadster

I owned an 06 SI with Sport package

The sport package includes upgraded suspension and wheel upgrade as shown on the previous post. the car sits about an inch lower to the ground than standard and has a sport button that once presessed re-maps the throttle reponse to be more sensitive from the start. I had the M seats and they were a seperate option. Now that I have an M I realize that the M seats they offer in the SI are not as comfortable as the seats in my M although they look the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #22
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeman View Post
I had the M seats and they were a seperate option. Now that I have an M I realize that the M seats they offer in the SI are not as comfortable as the seats in my M although they look the same.
Unless something changed between the production years of your cars the difference is in your head. The M seats are the M seats. They don't have a different version for the Z4M vs the ones put in the si...
Appreciate 0