ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Consumer Reports - '07 Z4

Hi Guys,

My May edition of Consumer Reports gives the 2007 Z4 a black dot on the areas of body integrity and suspension. A black dot is assigned when the trouble rate exceeds 3 percent.

Do any of you know what is behind those ratings? Does the '07 Z4 have problems in those areas?

Thanks,

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
banger
Rep
Drives: 2008 Si Roadie

Truthfully, Consumer Reports seems to have an agenda.

In addition to my Beam, I also have a Benz. Consumers has always used these vehicles as a "bully pulpit" and given them bad marks for reliability and quality.

HUH?

How many dissatisfied owner of either have you met?

I have NEVER had an issue with my Zed, and the only warranty issue with the Benz in 50,000 miles has been a one time repair of the heater blower motor. It was fixed early on and have never had any more problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hey Banger!

Thanks for the reply - very useful to know that the '07 doesn't have any appreciable problems when compared to other model years.

Actually, I haven't met any Z4 owners! In my town, I have only seen two of them and I haven't had a chance to chat with the owners. That's why I'm here!

Thanks again for responding to my question!

Cheers!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
I have been a subscriber to consumer reports for the last 19 years and bought their annual book each year well before that. I have purchased many items, including my '05 Z4, based on their evaluations and they have NEVER steered me wrong on ANY purchase. You are welcome to your opinion, but CR has EVERYTHING to lose by "having an agenda". For many years they dismissed american cars as unreliable. I believe the recent improvement in QA for many american cars has been due, in large part, to CRs ratings.

My experience with my Z4 is right in line with CR's prediceted reliability. Keep in mind, there are always outliers in any statistical analysis. These are normally excluded during the analysis process.

My advice is trust what they publish and you will be an informed consumer.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc View Post
I have been a subscriber to consumer reports for the last 19 years and bought their annual book each year well before that. I have purchased many items, including my '05 Z4, based on their evaluations and they have NEVER steered me wrong on ANY purchase. You are welcome to your opinion, but CR has EVERYTHING to lose by "having an agenda". For many years they dismissed american cars as unreliable. I believe the recent improvement in QA for many american cars has been due, in large part, to CRs ratings.

My experience with my Z4 is right in line with CR's prediceted reliability. Keep in mind, there are always outliers in any statistical analysis. These are normally excluded during the analysis process.

My advice is trust what they publish and you will be an informed consumer.
Then I must ask- have YOU had issues in the areas he mentioned(body integrity and suspension)? I have not read many threads about these issues. I know there are some motor mount bolt threads floating around but have not heard anything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
My advice is, while CR has one of the better databases available to us consumers, to take their ratings with a grain of salt - particularly as they apply to low volume items such as the Z4. They seem to let too much low sample error creep into their ratings - how many Z4s of a given year are in the hands of their subscribers who bother to fill out the survey. (This is the same type of error that ranked the Concorde as the safest commercial airliner - up until one crashed.) A year or so ago, when the 07 Z4's had inadequate data to rate, the 06's were showing significant engine problems, while the 3 series and 6cyl 5 series which use the same engines showed high reliability. Subsequent reports brought those ratings up in line with those of the same engine in the other models. This is a pretty clear indication that their data was overly colored by one of those statistical outliers.

Likewise, while I don't always agree with their test methodology, I don't see them having a significant agenda as regards to their reliability ratings - they have generally been consistent with other sources of data. Benz (and BMW) have both declined in reliability (on both an absolute and relative basis) from what they were 20-30 years ago, in good part from their dramatically increased electronic content. This can be seen in the generally better reliability of the cheaper, simpler models such as the Z4 and 3 series relative to the 5's and 7's. And, yes, I do know people who have switched from Benz as their reliability declined in the 90's. CR's admonition to avoid the Benz M class was confirmed by my neighbor who runs a Benz shop and saw the problems first hand.

Another good source of related information if Mike Miller's tech columns in Bimmer and in the Roundel (BMWCCA) magazines - you don't get the statistical data, but a more in-depth perspective on the types of problems that these cars can have. Also, Bimmer has periodic market surveys of each BMW model or series, which highlight strengths and problems of each - they are well worth seeking out the appropriate back issues when considering a used BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
As I have heard someone say before... If I am going to buy a vacuum I will check out CR. They just don't know shit about cars.

Also, casey, I am surprised you bring stats into this when it is a low volume vehicle. Ever heard of the law of large numbers? Cal was right when he said there was insufficient test data for their report to mean jack.

Being around here there are a few problems, but they are easily fixable and pretty easy to notice as well. Just do a search on here for problems or something.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Hi Guys,

My May edition of Consumer Reports gives the 2007 Z4 a black dot on the areas of body integrity and suspension. A black dot is assigned when the trouble rate exceeds 3 percent.

Do any of you know what is behind those ratings? Does the '07 Z4 have problems in those areas?

Thanks,

Dave
Between the broken engine mounts and the loose sway bar brackets, those alone may have exceeded 3%. The engine mount problem is a significant defect and BMW has admitted to it by issuing a service bulletin, though not a recall.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Then I must ask- have YOU had issues in the areas he mentioned(body integrity and suspension)? I have not read many threads about these issues. I know there are some motor mount bolt threads floating around but have not heard anything else.
First I have an '05. The question was regarding the '07 MY. At 28.5K miles, I have had none of that kind of problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

I've always had a problem with CR's vehicle ratings. With most other products, I would absolutely agree with caseysc, but their recommendations on new vehicles don't make much sense sometimes.

I've frequently noticed they recommend a particular model that they spent a lot of time complaining about and then go and not recommend a specific model that they praised a lot and thought was a good car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #11
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

I have not given CR a second thought since they sunk the Suzuki Samurai by rigging the tests they did......no credibility at all with me. I personally owned one and NEVER had a wheel lift even after raising it 4" and putting bigger tires on it.

http://www.billswebspace.com/suzukiv...merreports.wmv

That said, I have had NO issues with my 2007 Z4MC.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Gents - thanks very much to each of you for taking the time to respond and give me the benefit of your knowledge and experience!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
wow Bill, that is crazy. Nice video though.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
wow Bill, that is crazy. Nice video though.
I think this is one of the videos that was presented in court when Suzuki sued CR but it was eventually settled after years of litigation- downside is that Suzuki no longer sells Samurais here in the US.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

No, significant issues with my '07 MR in 18.5k. Other than a loose strut brace that needed to be retorqued and the chronic parking break cable squeak it has bee a problem free.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
Michelle@RPI
World Traveler
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Interesting thread.

For optimal performance, aesthetics, and sound, shoprpi.com!!!
Appreciate 0