ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #23
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I never learned how to heel-toe.
But I can tap-dance from the brake to stab the gas, nail a blip downshift and be back on the brake pretty darn smooth and fast.
I always engine brake down to 1500-2000 rpm in third if I'm coming to a stop.
Used to go down to 2nd all the time, but figured I'd trade some clutch|bearing|synchro wear for some brake wear. Tired of getting 80,000 miles from a set of pads.

I drive in stop-n-go traffic a lot of the time. Like Hack said it can be done with very little clutch or brake use if you leave some space in front of you and just run up and down the range in 1st or 2nd.
Drives the people behind you bat-snot crazy.
      05-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #24
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Hack, I think we're getting our signals crossed. I agree with what you just said. I thought people were saying that engine braking should be used in lieu of braking to save brake pads. I'm gonna stay out of this from here on out...
      05-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #25
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I think I engine brake to:
a) always be in the right gear with my engine in it's "happy zone" and ready to punch it if the light turns green or I need to take evasive, or, of course, at the apex of a turn
b) blow out some carbon
c) it makes a great noise with aftermarket exhaust
d) because racecar
      05-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #26
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Heel toe is life. All it is is a rev-match while braking. It's almost always from 3-2 for me (public roads...). Usually when hauling ass coming up to a turn, I'll be at the top of 3rd, hard on the brakes, clutch in, shift to 2nd while I roll foot over and whack the throttle with my heel, clutch out and GAS

What helped me a lot was not trying to be too precise with the throttle blip. I was focusing too much on trying to get the revs exactly where I wanted, but it's easier to just boot it and try to be in the neighborhood. It'll upset your balance if you're way off, but +/- a few hundred revs is fine. Eventually you get a feel for it, and that extra brain bandwidth helps with managing everything else.

Agreed with engine braking in traffic and it pissing people off behind you. I think the aggressive engine brake without the brake lights going off can catch some people off guard, had a few scary moments with SUV's behind me...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #27
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Hack, I think we're getting our signals crossed. I agree with what you just said. I thought people were saying that engine braking should be used in lieu of braking to save brake pads. I'm gonna stay out of this from here on out...
Yeah, probably. It wouldn't be the first time I bit someone's head off that actually agrees with me.

And I don't mean to imply that if you don't know how to heel-toe you don't know how to drive a manual. I get sick and tired of my friend(s) that grew up on old school, non-synchro'ed manuals that tell me if I don't double clutch downshift then I'm not really driving a manual too.

What I meant to imply, is that if you drive a manual and don't heel-toe, it's a great skill to learn and have.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #28
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Agreed. I wasn't being very detailed with my responses so I probably should have just stayed out of it.
      05-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #29
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
".................. I get sick and tired of my friend(s) that grew up on old school, non-synchro'ed manuals that tell me if I don't double clutch downshift then I'm not really driving a manual too.
Lol, that brings back memories.
It took the LOOOOONGEST time for me to unlearn that.
Learned on an old 3 on the tree pickup
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #30
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Yeah, probably. It wouldn't be the first time I bit someone's head off that actually agrees with me.

And I don't mean to imply that if you don't know how to heel-toe you don't know how to drive a manual. I get sick and tired of my friend(s) that grew up on old school, non-synchro'ed manuals that tell me if I don't double clutch downshift then I'm not really driving a manual too.

What I meant to imply, is that if you drive a manual and don't heel-toe, it's a great skill to learn and have.
Now you are making "Hack sense."
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #31
mcoupe5/6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M Coupe

What are the thoughts on going from in gear... Say coming off the freeway to a light and sliding into neutral as I let off the gas? I do this sometimes to coast...by timing it correctly it moves right over and doesn't seem to upset anything, but who knows.
Appreciate 0