ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

UUC Short shifter?

Im thinking about buying the short shifter from Turnermotorsports....any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

buy it from the uuc web site everything is 15% off now. I like mine but make sure whoever does the install uses extra strength thread locker on the hex screws that secure the carrier to the shifter (there are 6 of them). The whole exhaust has to be removed for the install.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
buy it from the uuc web site everything is 15% off now. I like mine but make sure whoever does the install uses extra strength thread locker on the hex screws that secure the carrier to the shifter (there are 6 of them). The whole exhaust has to be removed for the install.
+1 Also have the CDV valve replaced at the same time if you still have the stock one in. Had an indy shop do both the SSK and CDV valve swap in 1hr 20 min. It was worth every penny when I saw what they had to do, would be a bit of a pain without a lift.

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

where do I get this so called CDV valve thing and can you explain benefits?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

You can get it from Zeckhausen Racing's web page link below.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

And as explained on their web page...

"Theory of Operation - What is a CDV?

The Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder, as shown in Figure 1. It "delays" the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players used a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record.

Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly. During parallel parking maneuvers, the delay can be infuriating, causing constant clutch slippage. And during hard acceleration, the large amount of clutch slippage can greatly shorten the life of your clutch. During normal, sedate driving, the shift from first into second gear is often jerky, leading passengers to question your skill. As the driver, you can see your passengers' heads bobbing back and forth during every shift! Yes, in their minds, they are laughing at you."

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

I went to the website that was a good bit of info thanks Whou4.
Appreciate 0