ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Style 5's on Coupe?

Anyone done before? Curious how it'd look...
      05-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

I tried mounting the set I had on my 3.0si roadster and they interfered with the front calipers. It wasn't a diameter issue, it was the ends of the bolts that hold the wheel center in that interfered with the outside of the caliper body. Might have been able to fix it with spacers, but they were 17 x 8 ET20 from an E39 and the spacers would have added even more offset.
I think they'd look pretty good if you got them to fit, but then I've been a long time Style 5 fan.
      05-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I tried mounting the set I had on my 3.0si roadster and they interfered with the front calipers. It wasn't a diameter issue, it was the ends of the bolts that hold the wheel center in that interfered with the outside of the caliper body. Might have been able to fix it with spacers, but they were 17 x 8 ET20 from an E39 and the spacers would have added even more offset.
I think they'd look pretty good if you got them to fit, but then I've been a long time Style 5 fan.
Having hard time visualizing what you're describing but at very least you'd need hubcentric rings to convert the e39 bore (74.1) to Z4 (72.6). Spacers would lower the offset and give more clearance on strut side but with 20 offset I can't imagine strut side clearance being an issue.
      05-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
TurboDream17
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Coupe

Not style 5's, but similar:

https://goo.gl/80QTN2

Or just google "z4m stance" if you have issues with that link.
///M Coupe - Volk TE37's 19x10.5R +22 19x8.5F +30 | KW V3 w/ Clubsport rear springs | RPi exhaust | Autosolutions SSK | RE transmission mounts | RE RSM's | Vibra-Technics engine mounts | RPi scoop | RPi skid plates | Tekarbon spoiler | Apex wheel studs | Blox burnt titanium lug nuts | UUC Front 27mm Swaybarbarian | Status Gruppe adjustable front links | EAS Blacked out kidneys | Full Beisan Vanos Refresh
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 12:50 AM   #5
TRiCC
E86 M Coupe
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Having hard time visualizing what you're describing but at very least you'd need hubcentric rings to convert the e39 bore (74.1) to Z4 (72.6). Spacers would lower the offset and give more clearance on strut side but with 20 offset I can't imagine strut side clearance being an issue.

Dc_wright means that the bolts/nuts on the backside of the two piece style 5 face have no clearence to mount flush to the wheel hubs due to the calipers interefering with the front/top of the front caliper, so he mean you will need a spacer to clear the caliper face/top behind the spokes. So the wheel can spin freely without rub/grinding from the nuts/bolts to the caliper and while maintaing full contact to the wheel hubs. You are correct about the hubcentric ring being recommened. The style 5's (17x8 et 20) are quite light for a factory bmw wheel weighting in at 21lbs just fyi. Im also a fan of the rc090s (17s) but the rc092(18" style 5s are )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDream17 View Post
Not style 5's, but similar:

https://goo.gl/80QTN2

Or just google "z4m stance" if you have issues with that link.
Very nice! spotted you a few weeks back on the 805s! Very nice mcoupe!!

Last edited by TRiCC; 05-18-2017 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
This photo of the back side of the Style 5 may help. The bolts that hold the wheel center in place are positioned with the heads on the outside and the nut is on the inside of the wheel. The bolts on my wheel set protruded a bit more than the standard bolts since they were replaced with BFI bolts, but it looked like even with the OEM BBS bolts there would have been little clearance.

Yes, I'm aware of the E39 hub size difference as I had the hub centric rings to fit the Style 5s on my E36.
Attached Images

05-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This photo of the back side of the Style 5 may help. The bolts that hold the wheel center in place are positioned with the heads on the outside and the nut is on the inside of the wheel. The bolts on my wheel set protruded a bit more than the standard bolts since they were replaced with BFI bolts, but it looked like even with the OEM BBS bolts there would have been little clearance.

Yes, I'm aware of the E39 hub size difference as I had the hub centric rings to fit the Style 5s on my E36.
I get what you're saying now, thanks...