ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Kidney grill retainer clip assembly behind bumper?

So I was dumb this afternoon and rear ended someone from a stop. No damage since it was a whopping 2 mph, other than I managed to crack the plastic retainer piece that one of the kidney grills clips into. It's "behind" the bumper itself. I can't find if there is an actual part for that or is it considered part of the entire front bumper? I'm certainly not going to buy a brand new bumper just hoping I don't have to fabricate something myself.
/// LED Lighting /// Pedal Haus M aluminum pedals and heel plate /// BMW logo puddle lights /// CF wrapped console /// LeatherZ MK4 console storage, armrests, door pulls /// ZHP illuminated shift knob /// BMW under seat storage /// Soundplicity III /// Stubby Antenna /// Eventuri Intake /// Tekcarbon CF valve cover /// Stromung exhaust /// Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts ///3rd brake light blinker
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCF View Post
So I was dumb this afternoon and rear ended someone from a stop. No damage since it was a whopping 2 mph, other than I managed to crack the plastic retainer piece that one of the kidney grills clips into. It's "behind" the bumper itself. I can't find if there is an actual part for that or is it considered part of the entire front bumper? I'm certainly not going to buy a brand new bumper just hoping I don't have to fabricate something myself.
Sorry to hear about that, man. This guy's name is Eric. He's a good guy and owns a BMW repair shop in Lincolnton. It might be worth checking on this part out Z4 he has. It looks like it took a hard hit in front, but it might have the grill clips you could salvage.

Eric is the guy that did my Beisan vanos overall work. He does excellent work. Very thorough. If you talk to him, tell him John sent you.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts...268181879.html

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Salty. Sent him an email. Also interested in that beisan vanos work at some point so that’s a good contact to have!
/// LED Lighting /// Pedal Haus M aluminum pedals and heel plate /// BMW logo puddle lights /// CF wrapped console /// LeatherZ MK4 console storage, armrests, door pulls /// ZHP illuminated shift knob /// BMW under seat storage /// Soundplicity III /// Stubby Antenna /// Eventuri Intake /// Tekcarbon CF valve cover /// Stromung exhaust /// Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts ///3rd brake light blinker
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Salty. Sent him an email. Also interested in that beisan vanos work at some point so that’s a good contact to have!
Glad to. I really like the fact that Raj at Beisan works with Eric to help prototype some things, and Eric has an e46 M3, so he's very familiar with the S54 engine, and now knows the little quirks and differences with our Z4M's. I asked him to do a complete rebuild on things that weren't even a problem now. I wanted to address all of the known weaknesses of the vanos. I highly recommend him.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No joy on Eric’s car

Below is what I’m looking for

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

In non-z models they actually molded this piece into the bumper itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry to hear it didn't work out. BMW doesn't list that piece as a separate part number. Does it look like it attaches on the M bumper in a manner that can be removed? I wonder if they don't just sonically weld it to the bumper material.

Good luck, regardless.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Sorry to hear it didn't work out. BMW doesn't list that piece as a separate part number. Does it look like it attaches on the M bumper in a manner that can be removed? I wonder if they don't just sonically weld it to the bumper material.

Good luck, regardless.

Salty
Quote:
There are tabs on the bumper cover that the kidney grille retainer frame fits over and then the tabs are heated/fused to create the connection.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It’s definitely a separate piece but clearly they must associate it with the entire bumper. That’s why I’m surprised it doesn’t have a part number. Will have to figure out an alternative solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #11
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I have a spare set of frames
If you are interested PM me
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #12
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

done!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #13
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
JCF, if your front bumper requires a re-spray, will you let me know who you use for the paint work? Thanks!

Salty
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Doesn't need a respray at this point.

I have used the bodyshop at Toyota of North Charlotte in Huntersville on Statesville road. They did a great job when someone crunched my door and I needed to have it replaced.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Although I have the Z - my other bmw is an 01 330i and the tabs broke on the kidney grills ages ago. I caulked a small amount of PL 300 construction adhesive overnight and they ve held for years now. No parts needed.
Appreciate 0