ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
paul2241
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d Sport Wagon

Dealer says I have 3 bent rims?!?!?!

Hello all, I have my 06 z4 at the dealer for some warranty work. The SA called me today to let me know they were looking over the vehicle, and noticed that 3 out of my 4 wheels are slightly bent. He said the cost to fix them would be $600, and at that point an alignment would be necessary also at $200. Keep in mind I feel no vibrations, and road noise is minimal at speed, plus there isn't even any curb rash on any wheel. He said that I will feel more vibration than normal, and excessive road noise, but I probably won't feel it in the steering wheel, and that it is safe to drive, just something to think about. I really feel like they're grasping at straws to get me to pay for something out of pocket. Any ideas on what to do?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Nothing, seems like BMW dealerships always try to upsell an alignment.

I once went there for service after just getting a very thorough alignment and corner balance from one of the top alignment shops in the South Bay and South Bay BMW had the adacity to say I needed an alignment without even driving the car, getting it on a lift.

Every receipt I had always says, ALIGNMENT RECOMMENDED, THEN CUSTOMER DECLINED. WTF is with them always trying to bill customers for unnecessay work.
      09-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Did you hit any potholes? Run on very rough roads? If not, have you been the only owner of the car? If not, it's possible but highly unlikely. Something doesn't smell right at all.

You don't need to do anything right away. All of these dubious repair things work on the premise "you have to do something right now!". Well, you don't. If it worries you, get a trustworthy indy shop to look at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #4
paul2241
Private
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply and confirming my suspicion that they were trying to get something more from me other than simple warranty work. I've had the car four days and it is a CPO with 28k miles. I'm tempted to file a complaint with BMWNA stating how I am dissatisfied with the award winning CPO program if they're willing to put an inspected vehicle on the road with bent rims, keep in mind I took delivery four days ago. I will be putting snows on soon and figure that the tire shop that my friend runs will give me an honest answer on their condition, you can't see any flaws with the naked eye and I don't feel what I would call excess vibration. Plus if they really are bent, and I need to foot the bill to repair them, wouldn't it make more sense to repair them after the winter?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

It would make even more sense imho to get a whole new set of aftermarket wheels altogether; and at the same time get a set that's aesthetically pleaseing. Just start fresh if your current set has unknown issues. I don't think wheel/tire balancing will help you figure out if the wheels are indeed bent, but it would help reduce vibrations/road noise (if any are felt at all currently). In any case, try to drive the car slowly, and have someone with a keen eye look at your wheels closely, individually. If the face of the rims look wavy when the car is motion (even a slow crawl is enough to see waviness), then that wheel is bent/compromised. G'luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
paul2241
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
It would make even more sense imho to get a whole new set of aftermarket wheels altogether; and at the same time get a set that's aesthetically pleaseing. Just start fresh if your current set has unknown issues. I don't think wheel/tire balancing will help you figure out if the wheels are indeed bent, but it would help reduce vibrations/road noise (if any are felt at all currently). In any case, try to drive the car slowly, and have someone with a keen eye look at your wheels closely, individually. If the face of the rims look wavy when the car is motion (even a slow crawl is enough to see waviness), then that wheel is bent/compromised. G'luck!
That's the thing, I don't feel any vibrations at any speed, there is road noise and the ride is rough, but it's a roadster with runflats, I wouldn't expect any less. I feel like the dealer is trying to get one over on me, I don't see how out of anything on that car, they just so happened to notice that. Also note, I took it in for a fuel filler cap that would not lock/unlock, a squeak in the passenger side, and the top slamming down. All things that don't have anything to do with any part of the suspension/wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2241 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply and confirming my suspicion that they were trying to get something more from me other than simple warranty work. I've had the car four days and it is a CPO with 28k miles. I'm tempted to file a complaint with BMWNA stating how I am dissatisfied with the award winning CPO program if they're willing to put an inspected vehicle on the road with bent rims, keep in mind I took delivery four days ago. I will be putting snows on soon and figure that the tire shop that my friend runs will give me an honest answer on their condition, you can't see any flaws with the naked eye and I don't feel what I would call excess vibration. Plus if they really are bent, and I need to foot the bill to repair them, wouldn't it make more sense to repair them after the winter?
CPO is supposed to be more than just a 2 year warranty -- they should be restoring the vehicle to "like new" condition. This, and other experiences make me think that these days they just check a few boxes on a form and throw some new tires on without actually doing much work, if any at all, to recondition the vehicle otherwise. In this case, they're either knowingly deceiving you (your wheels are fine) or they completely botched the certification process (you actually do have 3 bent rims they didn't find) -- either of which represents a huge fail on their part. Unless you went flying over a big bump at 80 MPH, I'd see what you can do about making THEM foot the bill. You haven't even had the car for a week!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wait! You've had this supposedly CPO'd car 4 days? dekaliber is right. Have them replace the wheels. The whole point of the CPO is the car is like new, and reconditioned. Not f***** up and chock full of issues!

What's next? "Oh, sorry dude, your transmission is toast and you need a new one. We notice a bunch of sawdust in it when we cracked it open, but never you mind--that will be 4,000 dollars...."

Just when I think the crooked **** some dealers pull can't get any worse I realize I haven't become jaded enough yet. And I'm thankful the dealership I work with it above board--it seems rare these days.

OP. tell them to put 4 new wheels on the car with fresh rubber. Either that or they can cough up the cost of their "CPO" back to you in a nice check.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Sounds very much like dishonest dealings on the part of the dealer. Do they know that you just got the car 4 days ago? As stated above, if it was sold as a CPO vehicle, everything is supposed to be in like new condition.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Just the way I see it. Seems pretty straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Wait! You've had this supposedly CPO'd car 4 days? dekaliber is right. Have them replace the wheels. The whole point of the CPO is the car is like new, and reconditioned. Not f***** up and chock full of issues!

What's next? "Oh, sorry dude, your transmission is toast and you need a new one. We notice a bunch of sawdust in it when we cracked it open, but never you mind--that will be 4,000 dollars...."

Just when I think the crooked **** some dealers pull can't get any worse I realize I haven't become jaded enough yet. And I'm thankful the dealership I work with it above board--it seems rare these days.

OP. tell them to put 4 new wheels on the car with fresh rubber. Either that or they can cough up the cost of their "CPO" back to you in a nice check.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
paul2241
Private
Rep

I'm not sure if they know I purchased it 4 days ago or not, I purchased it out of state, and took it in to my local shop for warranty work. I am going to contact BMWNA today, and file a complaint. Hopefully it will all work out and I get something out of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2241 View Post
I'm not sure if they know I purchased it 4 days ago or not, I purchased it out of state, and took it in to my local shop for warranty work. I am going to contact BMWNA today, and file a complaint. Hopefully it will all work out and I get something out of it.
Just out of curiosity, did you purchase it from a BMW dealer? If so, which one?

I was just told the same thing, except it's just one wheel on mine. Dealer says it's visibly bent, yet I see no problem with it. MFGJR (member on this forum) recommended a wheel repair franchise that has a location in Indy. You might have them look at it.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/indianapolis/

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
paul2241
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you purchase it from a BMW dealer? If so, which one?

I was just told the same thing, except it's just one wheel on mine. Dealer says it's visibly bent, yet I see no problem with it. MFGJR (member on this forum) recommended a wheel repair franchise that has a location in Indy. You might have them look at it.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/indianapolis/
Thanks for the link. It was purchased from united BMW in roswell ga, and at dreyer and reinbold in Indianapolis Indiana
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Doesn't sound right. If there are no vibrations, then how bad can they be? However, I agree with the others; if it's CPO, have the dealer replace them. Make a fuss.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I doubt the wheels are bent. $600 to fix all 3? usually they are more like $800 each. Something fishy is going on.

I would make a fuss about it being CPO'd 4 days before and push for new wheels. If after moderate amount of pushing, nothing happens or they start singing a different tune, have your tire shop buddy check them out because at that point it's not worth your time. Then if your buddy says they are infact bent, pursue the selling dealer along with assistance from BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

It seems to me your best course of action is to contact United BMW. I live in Atlanta and drove my first M roadster there. They were very easy to deal with in my experience. Tell them what your local dealer said and see what they have to say about it.
Appreciate 0