ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Can I DIY an AFE intake?

I'm thinking of installing an AFE cold air intake in my '07 Z4 M Roadster, but not sure if I can do it. I am not overly mechanically inclined. I have changed oil in cars (way back in the day when I had more time than money), changed tires, swapped out windshield wiper motors, etc. Nowadays I have more money than time so I usually pay people/companies to do stuff for me.

Why not pay a shop to do this? Because the main shop I used, moved, and they are no longer convenient to visit. The BMW dealer is outrageously expensive and I don't need the intake that bad. But if I could do it myself...? Thoughts on how long it would take an amateur like me? And how do I learn how to do it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I seriously doubt it's anything you can't handle. I'm in the same boat as you except I've decided to start doing all my own work because I have tons of time and don't really trust anyone else to do it properly or thoroughly. I'll rely on my manuals and as many DIY articles and videos as I can find. I'll have to take my AFE off for smog testing eventually. I've searched and found DIY install videos/articles and I'm pretty sure removal is just the opposite.
      04-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
They have instructions on their website and from others have said on here, it should be very easy.
      04-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

If you need help for the install please just shoot me a PM and I can walk you through it. They give you instructions to do the install yourself and there are some small things that you may want to consider while installing it as well.

It took me maybe a total hour of install to get this done and I couldn't imagine that anyone who could change their oil wouldn't be able to commit to this DIY, I'd rate it at lego set difficulty; no engineering required.

Let me know and I'll be glad to lend you a hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I seriously doubt it's anything you can't handle. I'm in the same boat as you except I've decided to start doing all my own work because I have tons of time and don't really trust anyone else to do it properly or thoroughly. I'll rely on my manuals and as many DIY articles and videos as I can find. I'll have to take my AFE off for smog testing eventually. I've searched and found DIY install videos/articles and I'm pretty sure removal is just the opposite.
Why do you have to take the AFE off for smog? I thought it's CARB...so you should be good?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The rules are a little ambiguous in this area.

Technically, just removing the charcoal filter (an evap component) would be a fail.
Comes down to the diligence of the smog check operator.
I take mine to a low class joint that doesn't know what they're looking at.
(For anyone in Chino Valley: EZ-Smog on La Palma, near the stoney lonesome.)
Just had it there the other day. The guy looked at the engine and literally scratched his head (no, really), shrugged his shoulders and closed the hood.
Then he cut the wheels and looked behind the left front wheel, presumably for the cats and O2s.
Wrong side.

Not sure what they would have said about an aftermarket intake, or if they would even recognize that it's not stock. They've never seen an S54 before.
This guy certainly didn't know it's supposed to have secondary cats.

Last edited by StickMon; 04-20-2014 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Why do you have to take the AFE off for smog? I thought it's CARB...so you should be good?
I checked a long time ago and I'm pretty sure the M intake at least isn't CARB legal. Figured it was an easy enough thing to just take off and not risk any problems when the time comes.
      04-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

My old AFE was not a problem at the smog test. It may have helped that I replaced the AFE emblem on the top with a roundel. Holding my breath to see what happens with the Evolve when the time comes...
      04-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkurie View Post
It may have helped that I replaced the AFE emblem on the top with a roundel.
Hehe. I've thought about that. Regarding the carbon airbox, Evolve assured me that it was a quick and easy two hour install/uninstall when I still held hope that my wife would let me buy one.
      04-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkurie View Post
My old AFE was not a problem at the smog test. It may have helped that I replaced the AFE emblem on the top with a roundel. Holding my breath to see what happens with the Evolve when the time comes...
I like the way you think!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I like the way you think!
On the Evolve, I slapped a big old "BMW M Power" decal on it, just like the CSL and original M3 used. Maybe luck will send me a tech who saw these at some point.
      04-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I installed the AFE Magnum FORCE Stage-1 PRO 5R Intake System, P/N 54-11521 last summer and it was pretty much a piece of cake. It's a simple remove and replace, using common hand tools. The instructions can be found here: http://afepower.com/catalog/51-11521/is.pdf.

The instructions are easy to follow with one exception. After you remove the old air box, there are two OEM clips to which the air box is fastened that must be removed. Step 5 simply says "Turn and remove air box clips...".

These air box clips were a complete bitch to remove. I tried turning and twisting and just couldn't figure out how to remove them. I ended up squeezing, smashing, and tearing them out and then ordered replacements for a couple of bucks in case I need to put the old airbox on. After receiving the new ones, I still can't figure out how BMW designed these bizarre clips. Other than this, everything else went quickly and smoothly.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I installed the AFE Magnum FORCE Stage-1 PRO 5R Intake System, P/N 54-11521 last summer and it was pretty much a piece of cake. It's a simple remove and replace, using common hand tools. The instructions can be found here: http://afepower.com/catalog/51-11521/is.pdf.

The instructions are easy to follow with one exception. After you remove the old air box, there are two OEM clips to which the air box is fastened that must be removed. Step 5 simply says "Turn and remove air box clips...".

These air box clips were a complete bitch to remove. I tried turning and twisting and just couldn't figure out how to remove them. I ended up squeezing, smashing, and tearing them out and then ordered replacements for a couple of bucks in case I need to put the old airbox on. After receiving the new ones, I still can't figure out how BMW designed these bizarre clips. Other than this, everything else went quickly and smoothly.
How do you take the OE box out? Step 4 said that it just pull out of those rubber clips?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

So, it seems like this is a simple DIY. is it worth it? I mean I imagine the sound is great, but are there any real gains?
      04-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
How do you take the OE box out? Step 4 said that it just pull out of those rubber clips?
I found you can get the box off by squeezing the heads on the rubber grommets and pulling them over the plastic posts.
Rubber grommets stay in the holes in the box.
As for getting the posts out, I'm with SD Z4MR. They may be "single use".

Last edited by StickMon; 04-21-2014 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
There's a locking mechanism. You have to separate the top "cover" of the clip from the bottom assembly, then it simply rotates and releases. When that top cover mechanism is down, it pushes a tab out to prevent it from rotating.

See attached image for how the clip comes "apart" for easy removal.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #17
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
They do. You just need to apply some force as you pull up.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #18
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I found you can get the box off by squeezing the heads on the rubber grommets and pulling them over the plastic posts.
Rubber grommets stay in the holes in the box.
As for getting the posts out, I'm with SD Z4MR. They may be "single use".
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
They do. You just need to apply some force as you pull up.
Thanks...I was starring at it for a while previously, but couldn't figure how the box would come out from those plastic posts...those germanz
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #19
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
There's a locking mechanism. You have to separate the top "cover" of the clip from the bottom assembly, then it simply rotates and releases. When that top cover mechanism is down, it pushes a tab out to prevent it from rotating.

See attached image for how the clip comes "apart" for easy removal.
NOW you tell me!

Appreciate 0